Author Topic: McHale of Crossmalina  (Read 8504 times)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
McHale of Crossmalina
« on: Wednesday 23 March 05 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Any links out there?  I have a Thomas McHale, born Crossmalina in 1777.  He joined the army in 1799, discharged in 1818.

Thanks

Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: McHale of Crossmalina
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 06 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 03:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ticker,

Thanks for following up.  No, no further news or additional information, I'm afraid.  I'm at a dead-end - hoping that an indexed 1841 census might locate him at the end of his days (he's not in the 1851), and that might open some new avenues of research.

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 October 11 05:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,
I have a database for Crossmolina church records that I have compiled, but the Catholic Church records didn't start until 1831 ish. You are VERY lucky to get so far back on your line! I do have the Tithe records, so I included the McHale's here for you. BTW, there are no census returns until 1910 & 1911- the earlier ones were destroyed I believe.
I also looked in the Church of Ireland records, which go back  to the 1780s, and found no McHale's at all.
You might want to check the North Mayo Family History Center as they have all North Mayo church & cemetery records computerized now-you could have them lookup (for a fee) Thomas's death/cemetery records (assuming he died in Crossmolina. Below is the Tithe records for McHales in Crossmolina Parish:

Ballinloughaun   Anthony   McHale
Ballinloughaun   Anthony   McHale
Ballyneety   Owen   McHale
Ballyvimaha   Owen   Mchale
Ballyvimaha   Thomas   McHale
Cartrongilbert   Widow   McHale
Gurtmaline-BK 3   John   McHale
Kildavaroge B3   Patrick   Mchale
Kildavaroge B3   James   McHale
Knockalegan   Widow   McHale
Mullimore S-Athawallia   Thomas   McHale

Diski

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 01:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Diski,

In the intervening years, I have discovered that Thomas died about 1831 (I have the exact year, but not in front of me right now) in London.  His wife, Anne, was in Liverpool in 1841, living with one of their children, but she died in Liverpool in 1846.  I suspect, but cannot prove, that Anne was also from Crossmolina - she was certainly from Ireland.

I suppose these McHales in the Tithe records would include some of Thomas' brothers and nephews.  It would be intersting to tie down exactly from where in the parish he originated, but I don't suppose that is possible.

All the best
Tim

Offline notbob47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 14:28 GMT (UK) »
My wife's ancestors are McHales from Crossmolina.  We were able to get records from the Mayo North Heritage Centre that verified information we had about her family.  The earliest accurate information showed William McHale of Crossmolina married Catherine (Mash) Marsh, also of Crossmolina, on February 12, 1865 in Crossmolina.  They had 8 children - John, Walter, Joseph, Bridget, Peter, George, Michael and William.  Michael is my wife's grandfather who immigrated to Kingston, PA where he married Kathryn Muldowney. 

We are trying to verify who William McHale's parents were in Crossmolina.  My father-in-law always believed that William's parents were William McHale and Mary Ellen Jennings.  But the Heritage Centre records showed that William's father was Walter McHale (no record of his mother.)  We are trying to determine if William and Walter might have been brothers.  Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Offline Diski

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 March 13 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello notbob45
I too had a note stating that Williams father was Walter. Its unofficial, just my own observations from tracking down my own McHales. Assuming that Walter is the father, I have the following:
Walter McHale  and Mary Catherine Ginnolly of Cuilacurrain:
Oct 23 1845 Walter, sponsors Pat Mulherin and Peggy Gilboy
Feb 25 1849 Catherine, sponsors Tho and Ellen McDonough

I could find no Walter McHale births in Crossmolina, but as I have warned many times, the register is in bad shape and there may very well be information there in the register but I could not read it.

There was a Walter McHale birth, Dec 24 1848 in Cum, which is in the neighboring parish to the south called Addergoole. Parents were William McHale and Bridget Moran.
Below are others born to this couple, all born in Cum. As you will see, there is a William and A Walter as siblings:
10   10   1856   Bap   McHale, Martin
12   1   1850   Bap   McHale, Michael
3   17   1847   Bap   McHale, Pat
12   24   1848   Bap   McHale, Walter
7   5   1859   Bap   McHale, William

I could not find any marriage or christenings to a McHale & Jennings couple in Crossmolina.

Hope this is of some help,
Diski

Offline notbob47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 March 13 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Diski,
Thank you for the followup.  Your information is quite helpful and would appear to validate the relationship between William and Walter in the mid-1800's.  I had hoped to see something about William and Mary Ellen Jennings, but...
We plan to be in Crossmolina in late May and will try to connect with the Marsh side of the family.  Perhaps they can shed more light on our roots.
If I can ever be of assistance (not sure how) please let me know.  Thank you again.
Notbob47

Offline KTwigg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 June 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi NotBob47,

I have a tie to Catherine Mash McHale. My great great Grandmother (Margret Mash Twigg) was her sister. I have recently been corresponding with Amy J., who is from the McHale line. Did you get to Crossmolina? Any Mash or Marsh there now?