Author Topic: Baptisms/Christenings in Selside and Grayrigg—1739-1762  (Read 3460 times)

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptisms/Christenings in Selside and Grayrigg—1739-1762
« on: Wednesday 07 April 10 18:34 BST (UK) »
I’ve been trying to find the christening/baptism of my gggg grandfather, Edward Machell.  I know from his marriage bond, his will, and the parish record of his death, that he was born about 1740.  On his marriage bond (1766) he is Edward Machell of Whinfield, Kendal; on the parish records of his children’s births, he is Edward Machell of Whinfell; in his will, he is Edward Machell of Snowden, Whinfell..

I spent some time in the Kendal Record Office this past August, and am going back in less than three weeks—and I’d like some idea of where to look next.  (I’ve searched the records for Kendal, but not for all the chapels.)

I’m fairly sure that Edward was the son of John Machell and Alice Wilson, who married in Kendal in 1739.  (On his marriage bond, John Machell was from Patton, Kirkby, Kendal.)  I’ve found the records for the births of 5 of John and Alice’s daughters, but not for any of their sons.  I’m quite sure they had at least 3 sons, born between 1739/1740 and 1762: Edward, Leonard, and Nicholas.

The girls were all baptized in the parish churches of Selside and Grayrigg between 1744 and 1760.  Is there a reason why the boys weren’t baptized in those churches—or weren’t baptized at all?

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms/Christenings in Selside and Grayrigg—1739-1762
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 10 20:35 BST (UK) »
Just a suggestion.Do you know where his mother was from or christened,she possibly went home to have some of her children christened.Her Baptism should show which chapel,even if IGI just shows Kendal. Sue
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms/Christenings in Selside and Grayrigg—1739-1762
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 April 10 02:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Suzy.  It's a good suggestion.  I'll see what I can find out about Alice's parents.  I know her father was Rowland Wilson, but that's all I know.

Also, John Machell married Alice Wilson in the Grayrigg Parish Church.