Author Topic: 1876 Landowners index for Cork  (Read 2949 times)

Offline sandiego04

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1876 Landowners index for Cork
« on: Thursday 08 April 10 03:20 BST (UK) »
Is there a repository in Cork that may have the original handwritten 1876 landowner's index?  Typed indexes are wonderful but sometimes there are transcription errors.  I am hoping the Thomas Boyce and Mary Boyce that I have found in County Cork may be Royce.  I can determine it if I see a photocopy of the original text.  There must be copies somewhere in order to have them transcribed.  Thank you. Or is lookup from someone in the area of the repository to have a look at the handwriting and give an analysis of it.

Offline skibbgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: 1876 Landowners index for Cork
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 May 10 04:22 BST (UK) »
Is there a repository in Cork that may have the original handwritten 1876 landowner's index?  Typed indexes are wonderful but sometimes there are transcription errors.  I am hoping the Thomas Boyce and Mary Boyce that I have found in County Cork may be Royce.  I can determine it if I see a photocopy of the original text.  There must be copies somewhere in order to have them transcribed.  Thank you. Or is lookup from someone in the area of the repository to have a look at the handwriting and give an analysis of it.

I, too, think that the typeset equivalents of original handwritten records are full of transcription errors.  Especially if the writing style is extremely cursive, your guess is as good as that of whomever did the transcription, and likely better, as you know whom you are looking for.   I am struggling with the exact same problem looking at handwritten Griffiths Valuation records.

Unfortunately, I only know of a book called called The Landowners of Ireland, 1878.  I found it at the Eneclann site:  Eneclann book/CD catalog.   

The National Library may have estate papers of interest:    Landed Estate Papers and Deeds
PLEASE POST YOUR QUESTIONS TO THE BOARD, NOT THROUGH PM, so that everybody can take a shot at answering your question and benefit from the information.  I cannot respond to requests through private emails.

Barnane, Cahalane, Collins, Connolly, Driscoll, Hourihane, Hurley, Looney, McCarthy, Mahony, Sweeney, Young  in Skibbereen area of southwest County Cork, Ireland; Regan in RoaringWater bay area and in Caheragh parish

Offline sandiego04

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1876 Landowners index for Cork
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 May 10 06:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you! :D