Author Topic: FREEMAN of Johnshaven & Gourdon  (Read 11025 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: FREEMAN of Johnshaven & Gourdon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 June 13 13:52 BST (UK) »
Sandy,

Further to your post where you attached a copy of the descendants of Walter (b. 1867) & Isabella (b. 1877) are you sure that Elizabeth (b. 1910) and Walter (b. 1911) are shown correctly?

My records show that the above mentioned Walter and Isabella had a son named Walter in 1901.  Seems odd they would have another named Walter again in 1911.

There was a Walter Freeman born in Gourdon in 1911 son of David Ritchie Freeman and Elizabeth Milne, perhaps that is whom you were thinking of?  The same David and Elizabeth also had a daughter in 1910 named Elizabeth Jane.
Cheers,
Sandy

I hope that I'm not looking at the wrong data.

Cheers Andrew

No Andrew, you are not looking at he wrong data. You are absolutely correct, I have mixed up the 1901 birth with the 1911 one.  Thanks for drawing my attention to the error.
So as not to confuse others who might visit this thread later here is the correct data for Walter.
born 30 May 1901 Johnshaven, Benholm Parish
died 31 May 1977 Salmon Fishing Station, Lunan
He married Agnes Taylor in Colchester, 23 May 1924
(I'm guessing he was in the military hence the Colchester location)
Agnes was born 5 December 1900 and died 22 April 1977
My research into this branch of the Freeman family has progressed a little since first responding to this post. 
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Freeman & Isabella Adam grave location
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 June 13 19:08 BST (UK) »
While I'm focusing my attention on my Maternal Grandparents I should add my latest line of enquiry on this Freeman family.  It may help later Freeman researchers.

Walter FREEMAN = Isabella ADAM, m. 27th August 1898  Johnshaven village, Benholm parish
Sources: SR birth, death & marriage certificates
Walter was born in Gourdon, Bervie parish and died in Johnshaven, 12th Sept 1925 aged 58 years.
Isabella was born in Johnshaven and died there 25th July 1943 aged 66.

I now know that my Grandfather purchased Lairs in the Old part of Johnshaven Cemetery
Council Records held in Stonehaven confirm they are located in Compartment E
Section 3 No's 553, 554 and 555.
I can understand one lair -- but three lairs obviously means there other burials I don't know the details of.
I know my parents, Sandy PITTENDREIGH and Mary Mackie FREEMAN, my mother uncle John ADAM, my brother Walter Freeman PITTENDREIGH and his Wife Elizabeth McLEAN, are all buried in the new cemetery as are FREEMAN cousins and many personal friends from my childhood.
I hope to visit later this summer but if anyone on this Forum visits regularly I would appreciate any information they can provide. 
Cheers,
Sandy
in Dumfries SW Scotland

Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline Skidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 June 13 11:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandy,

Now I've got some more great info to add into my project.

Cheers,

Andrew

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
Update to reply #04
With the kind assistance of Andrew I have made major corrections which make it necessary to revise that tree and post it here.