Author Topic: Death certificate, Randolph Mass. 1933 for Eliza Poole Rice  (Read 2134 times)

Offline HeatherJean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death certificate, Randolph Mass. 1933 for Eliza Poole Rice
« on: Thursday 08 April 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a death certificate for Eliza Poole Rice who died on November 19, 1933 at the home of her daugher, Mrs. Estella Roode at Randolph Mass. Eliza was orginally from Nova Scotia and apparently went to live with her daugher in Mass and died there.  I would like to know how Eliza died and what was her nationality on the death certificate as there have been rumours that she was a native canadian.

Online shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate, Randolph Mass. 1933 for Eliza Poole Rice
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 10 12:47 BST (UK) »
I don't think there are any Massachusetts death records from that time frame online.  There is information about ordering the certificate here:  http://tiny.cc/pkjr9

On the 1930 Census, Eliza is listed as being born in Nova Scotia, as were her parents, son-in-law Albion Roode, and daughter Stella Roode.  It also says Eliza immigrated in 1912 & was naturalized.

There is a Massachusetts marriage record for Albion & Stella here:  http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start  Stella is listed as born in Bear River, Nova Scotia.

Offline HeatherJean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 10 18:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information and your prompt reply.  I am very appreciative.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 April 10 18:54 BST (UK) »
Is this the Eliza Poole, daughter of James and Deborah Poole, who married Charles Rice 17 June 1872? If so, there is an American Indian connection in Rice family- perhaps that's where your family rumour came from.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 April 10 19:14 BST (UK) »
Anc.try tree has Eliza May Poole born 1848 Nova Scotia and married to Charles Rice about 1872. They have 3 children listed - one of which is (roode) Rice who was married to Albion. No sources for the marriage or death in 1933, just 1891 and 1901 census - Nova Scotia. Canada. The Birth of Charles Rice:-  5 Jun 1839 in Nova Scotia, Canada The death date for Charles Rice of 15 March 1907 (No source - no place listed)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline HeatherJean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 April 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
Yes this is the Eliza who is a daughter of Deborah and James Poole.  I understand there was a distant relative in the Rice family that was native American.  However, I was informed by a distant relative that Eliza was a mikmaq from Nova Scotia.  In searching more, the only discrepancy I find in Eliza was her birthdate.  It is listed as January 22, 1848, however, she had a sister Julia who was born October 23, 1847.  Too close to have happened.  Due to lack of information I have not been able to confirm these dates, so I continue to do research.  I am very thankful for any suggestions anyone has and for the wonderful responses.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 April 10 19:26 BST (UK) »
Seems to match up with the connection I have- in which case there's certainly Indian connections in the Rice family, including one of my favourites whose name translates as "she gathers snakes."

Added- the Rices are my ancestors (through at least 3 or 4 different lines of descent from Deacon Edmund Rice)- there were several Indian branches of the Rice family which originally came about through kidnappings and massacre in Massachusetts.

Offline HeatherJean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 April 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
How interesting about the Rice family.  I'm related  to you. My grandmother was a Rice in Bear River, Nova Scotia.  Bear River also has a native reservation, hence, the possibility of Eliza Poole being a native.  I am related on the Rice side through Edmund Rice.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 April 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
And through my Vrooms we are connected to Winchesters- bound to be other mutual relatives since so many of the local families intermarried.