Author Topic: Spittle Family Wolverhampton  (Read 2889 times)

Offline wordsley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spittle Family Wolverhampton
« on: Friday 09 April 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
In 1993 Alfred (Alf) Spittle died and within 1 or 2 days his son Joseph and daughter Patricia also died. Apparently there was a triple funeral.
So I was wondering if anybody knows where they were buried.
Alfred was well known around Wolverhampton especialy on Armisty Day where he would sell poppies every year.
Spittle, Stych ---- Wolverhampton and surrounds
Peach ------   Derbyshire, Staffordshire
Lockley ----- Shropshire/Wolverhampton
Trubshaw ---- Cannock
Marklew --- Lichfield

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Spittle Family Wolverhampton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Wordsley,

Alfred reached a ripe old age as he was just over 100 when he died.  The only suggestion I can make is that you contact the Wolverhampton Bereavement Services at the link below.  They have information on the burials and cremations in cemeteries and this may narrow down your search.  I am not sure if you have the details of his death entry but the Registration District was Wolverhampton, West Midlands.  Register No. A43A District and Subdistrict 0771A.  Entry number 290

http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/community_living/life_events/deaths/bereavement/

It might be worth contacting the Wolverhampton Express and Star Newspaper.  There is a section on this link which gives the contact details of the archive editions and where they are held

http://www.expressandstar.org/

Click on Archive at the bottom of the page.

Hope some of this information is of use to you.

Cathy ;D ;D
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthieroo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Uncle Alf was my Dads uncle (his father Christophers brother) he was a very well known character in Wolverhampton during his long life time.
I only vaguely remember him now,  but I clearly remember going to his 100th birthday party!
My Dad attended the funeral.(You are correct that the circumstances were very sad).
I have not been on here before and am not sure how to talk 'off line' - but I am sure my Dad would be more than happy to tell you about Alf - he was a very colourful character! (There is even a short book about him which I think my dad may still have).

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 10:01 GMT (UK) »
When searching it might be worth trying "Stuttle" as I have found several "Spittles" in my searches for the former, due to poor transcripts.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Craig and Mandy Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 November 17 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruthieroo, I am researching my Grandfathers heritage and have some information which heavily suggests that Alfred Spittle 1893-1993 son of Henry & Eliza Spittle is his father. I have been trying to track down more information about Alfred outside of what is available on records found on Ancestry or the likes. You have mentioned a book which I would be particularly keen on viewing if possible and conversing with anyone that knew Alfred when he was alive. TIA Craig   

Offline ruthieroo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 November 17 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craig,
Alfred Spittle was my grandfather Christopher's elder brother  / my dad Peters uncle.
Alfred had a son Joseph and a daughter Patricia - as you aware, sadly Alfred and his two children all died within weeks of each other and as mentioned below shared a funeral - father, son and daughter.
Joseph was a bachelor all his life and lived with uncle Alf & Patricia had a son called Roger.
My Dad can tell you a lot about the family and would welcome talking to you his e-mail address is: p.spittle2809@btinternet.com  .
If you are indeed Alf's grandson then we are related!
We look forward to your reply!! :)

Offline Craig and Mandy Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruthieroo,Thank you for your reply. I look forward to emailing your father and learning more about Alfred and hopefully confirming Alfred is my grandfathers father. Thanks again, Craig.

Offline cavor3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 June 23 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a newspaper clipping from the Express and Star that would interest you.
Alfred was my grandmother Evelyn May's brother.
I can send you a copy if I figure how to contact you?