Author Topic: Elizabeth Hickey. c1819 Tipperary  (Read 11972 times)

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Hickey. c1819 Tipperary
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 April 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Scouse & Shanew147
if the family were RC then there's a very good chance the mother's maiden name will be recorded but in earlier C of I records quite often it was mother's first name only. I've had this problem on some of my ancestors. Maybe older English records are the same?

agho
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 April 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi agho

I dont think there's been any mention of the family religion, but I am guessing that it's more likely that this Hickey family might be RC ?

I have some quite old RC baptism records for my own family that mention mother's maiden name but that detail is missing as you said for some CofI/Presbyterian ancestors. I have two particular CofI baptism certs (1840s) that dont include mother's maiden name. In one case the actual church records do include this, in the other the original records do not survive.

If it was my family I would persevere and look for the Liverpool baptism anyway just to be sure... might be cheaper then purchasing all the possible IFHF records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 April 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
I agree shanew147 that the chance of success in Liverpool is much better than in Ireland & that's where I'd pursue the quest also.
Scouse have you tried following the eldest daughter Elizabeth to see if she mentions anywhere where she was born .. marriage record might lead you to a later census?
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 April 10 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane & agho.

Shane, read your post on the Lancs forum, hopefully Carole will answer your question, she's been a great help to me in the past, and with a surname like Smith you need all the help you can get.

Agho, I will get back to you later on any marriage details, I will have to sift through my paperwork, to see what I can find.

Thanks for keeping an interest, kind regards  Scouse
Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,
Liverpool. Ireland. Scotland. New Zealand.

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 31 January 11 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I have a John Hickey c1819 from Ireland, he married in Reading Berkshire, he had 10 children that I know of, one married into my family Agnes Hickey was RC.
On the 1871 census John Hickey ,wife and children upsticks to Liverpool, so may be they
were related?

Offline Scouse

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 31 January 11 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Louisa.

Unforetunately I never got any further on my Hickey look-up, but as you say there may be some kind of connection in Liverpool, don't think we will ever find out though.

Kind regards  Scouse.
Smith, Davies, Myers, Hickey, Hunt, Maxwell, Bennett, Harrison, Mitchell, Gill, Peers, Young, Jardine Scott, Patterson, Williams, Roberts, McNally, Critchley, Nicholas, LLoyd, Cowley, Hanks, Wilson, Burgess, Standen,
Liverpool. Ireland. Scotland. New Zealand.

Offline LouisaS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 February 11 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scouse,
On the free BMD there are many Hickey's in Liverpool, they must be related?

Offline glucose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 March 11 10:45 GMT (UK) »
scouse,could be useless,serendipity,or the lotus in the swamp.I had seen the name hickey tied in with prendergast in 'genforum',2000.yes,long time ago but enquirer name was elizabeth hickey.so,I thought coincidence ?maybe.your game now,hope it's a winner.
       glucose.

Offline Ann Fishwick

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Scouse,

I have a John Hickey who was sponsor to the baptism of Maria Finn, daughter of John Finn and Elizabeth Shaughnessy in Thurles Tipperary on the 27/5/1834.
I hope this may help in some way.

Ann.