Author Topic: William Hewetson Mathew 1804-1889  (Read 9520 times)

Offline WHM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hewetson Mathew 1804-1889
« on: Saturday 10 April 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I would like to find out more about William Hewetson Mathew, according to his RIC record he was born in Tipperary in 1804.  He joined the RIC in 1831 aged 27, and he was stationed in Tipperary for almost seven years before being moved to Cork.  He died at Belturbet in 1889.

Does anyone know anything about his parents/grandparents?

Very many thanks,

Glenn

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Hewetson Mathew 1804-1889
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
A search of the pay-per-view www.irish-roots.ie shows a baptism of a William Matttews (no Hewetson) in 1803 in Roscrea C of I church, father's name James. May or may not be your ancestor. €5 to view. I wonder was his mother's name Hewetson? The Tipperary records don't show any Hewetsons but plenty of Hewitts.
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 April 10 14:05 BST (UK) »
I think it would be a little usual for a member of the RIC to be posted to his county of birth. I understood that was not permitted..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline WHM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 April 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for your interest.

I have read that too but I have his service record here and he served at Tipperary, Cork, Clare, Donegal, Armagh, Antrim Tyrone and finally Cavan, he began his career as a Sub-Constable then Constable, 3rd Sub Inspector, 2nd Sub Inspector, 1st Inspector and finally in 1858 Extra Inspector.  He retired early due to injuries sustained when attacked by a Constable Holden, who also murdered an RIC sergeant.

Glenn

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 April 10 17:09 BST (UK) »
interesting to know that rule may not have been strictly enforced... I wonder if North and South ridings of Tipperary might have been considered as separate 'counties' for this rule.

So for example if he was born in somewhere in south riding - e.g. Cashel, might that  have allowed him to serve in somewhere in the northern section like Thurles ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline WHM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 April 10 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I have no idea but clearly some rule of that sort was in place.  They are all long gone now so no one to ask!

Glenn

Offline KDD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 January 15 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I believe that William Hewetson Mathew married my great-great-aunt, Anna Sophia Dawson (born 1828) in 1860 at Knocknamuckley Church, Co Armagh, which was the incumbency of her brother Rev Abraham Dawson.

I had heard that he was in the constabulary, but it was only a rumour. As far as I know they had no children and I cannot find any records of their deaths. There is a possible sighting of her in the 1901 census as a widow visiting the Roe family

Regards,

Keith Dawson

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 January 15 14:33 GMT (UK) »

I had heard that he was in the constabulary, but it was only a rumour.

A William H. Matthews, S.I. commanded a number of the constabulary at Dungannon Society's Cattle Show in 1856...

Also, the Lord Lieutenant in Ulster and Countess Spencer were received in 1870 at Belturbet Junction (train) Station by 9 constablulary men under a first-class sub-inspector "William Hewetson Matthew" from Belturbet. So although your man would have been 66 (unless it was a son?), that name looks like more than a co-incidence...

Things have moved on since the previous 2010 posts, let's see what info folk can provide...

Offline KDD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 January 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. Anna was born in Dungannon and would probably lived with her mother there until she married, which would have meant she well may have met William in Dungannon. Her father, a doctor, died in 1847. She was 32 when she got married, which was rather late in life those days. Her mother, Elizabeth Dawson, mentions her by name in her will (dated 1864), which may be found at the PRONI will calendar website.