Author Topic: William Hewetson Mathew 1804-1889  (Read 9519 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Hewetson Mathew 1804-1889
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 02 January 16 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Dawson family tree gives Anna Sophia Dawson born 2 July 1828. Her nephew (born the year following the marriage) named Thomas Hewetson Young.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=wdgrassick&id=I11054
Perhaps the tree owner will be able to provide more detail.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline WHMaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 January 16 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

I'm mystified as to why none of the references I have from people who knew William Mathew failed to record a second marriage or any mention of Anna Sophia and why Mathew's gravestone, which is in the Annagh parish church yard, Belturbet, bears the inscription,

In loving memory of William Hewetson Mathew, Late Sub Inspector Royal Irish Constabulary who died June 17 1889 aged 86 years. Erected by his affectionate grandchildren.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 January 16 11:07 GMT (UK) »
The gravestone at least is probably easily explained. WHM was married first to the grandmother of the ones who put up the headstone and she's not mentioned either. So, it's possible that both wives are buried elsewhere with their families and thus neither wife on headstone.

Also found a marriage notice in Enniskillen Chronicle and Erne Packet 17 June 1860.

Will do a bit more searching and let you know if I find anything else regarding Anna Sophia.

Offline WHMaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 January 16 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply, and I would welcome any information that you might find regarding this family.

It is mentioned that Mathew's first wife Jessie Anne was buried in a Kidd grave in Armagh, possibly with Sarah (Sally) her mother. Sarah's father, William Lodge Kidd has a memorial window in St. Marks cathedral.

In this string Keith Dawson says that Mathew's second wife Anne died at Belfast and was buried at Killyman.

I may be speculating, but I think I know why Anne Sophia's existence was left out of the contemporary material we have from that time. We have a recollection from Charles Leonard Dobbin Maxwell, a grandson and executor of William Hewetson Mathew's who would have known his stepmother very well and yet he and all of his siblings omit to mention her.

I do not want to be harsh to Anne's memory but I think there is a very good reason for this and this new discovery about her marrying William could be the missing piece of this family puzzle.

To explain I need to jump forward a generation down from Sarah to her second eldest daughter Mary Jane Dobbin Maxwell born 1886, by her marriage to Thomas Dobbin Maxwell.

In Sheffield in 1891, Mary (May) a nurse, married John William Staniforth M.D.

John kept a journal and in it he writes about Mary's Irish family.

John gives hint of the existence of Anna Sophia, but in a disguised way, describing her as an aunt. I think it is because Jack was not directly connected to the tragic events that unfolded at Belturbet that he felt able to record what happened. 

As I have said before, Mathew's daughter Sarah married Thomas Dobbin Maxwell. They produced four children, Jessie Wilhelmina, she died of consumption aged 21 and is buried with her father in Lisnaskea, Mary Jane Dobbin, Leonard Dobbin and Thomasina Olivia Maud (initials Tom after her father).

Thomas died in March 1871 and Sarah and the four children moved from Lisnaskea to Belturbet to live with her father, and now it seems, her step mother Anna Sophia. In January 1879 Sarah married Hugh Willis Thomson M.D. (it was also his second marriage) They lived at Riversdale House, Belturbet.

Hugh and Sarah had five children, Benjamin, Hugh, James Dalziel, Kathleen Johanna and Phyllis Eileen.

Hugh died May 29th 1885 and Sarah and their four youngest children, one only five weeks old, moved back to live with her father William and presumably her step mother Anna Sophia.

Two years later Sarah died and was buried with the Kidds in Armagh. At about the same time, Benjamin Thomson died. The remaining four children continued to live with their grandfather and step grand mother.

On I June 1889 William died, leaving the four children orphans.

It is here that I quote from John Staniforth's journal; which he addressed to his children

"Dear old Mr Mathew had been both father and mother to them, and when he was gone they had practically nobody to turn to for guidance and support"

He goes on: "Under these circumstances your mother (Jane Mary Dobbin Staniforth), Ina and Leonard decided to put all of their money into a common fund, and to make themselves responsible for the education and upbringing of their little brothers and sisters. This was tyrannically over ruled by a certain Aunt, whose name I need not mention, and almost before they knew what was happening, all four children had been spirited away. They were told at the time that they would never know what had become of the children; but after a long and painstaking inquiries they subsequently found that they had all been adopted". 

"Kathleen was adopted by a Dr Robinson, of Sheffield. Phyllis by a certain Miss Skarrett, also in England, I am not sure if they ever heard who had adopted Hugh and James. At any rate, they never saw either of the boys again"

It was during Mary's search for the adopted Kathleen that she met John.

Unknown to Mary, in December 1894 an appeal was published in the London Standard by the Royal Asylum of St Anne's Society, Redhill Surrey, by a Miss Kersteman of Dublin for sponsors for Hugh aged 10. Beyond St Anne's I have not been able to find anything more about what happened to him between 1889 and 1894 or after that.

James died in a shipwreck off Cape Horn aged 18.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 January 16 20:16 GMT (UK) »
What an interesting story- thanks for sharing it.

If you don't have it already it would be worth getting the Will of WHD (mentioned in reply #9) to see when it was written and what provisions he might have made for his family.

It may be that Anna Sophia had money of her own and also controlled his. She would have been about 71 when he died so perhaps thought the young children would have been better off raised elsewhere. At that time it wasn't really unusual to split up young children from their siblings.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 January 16 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Following the money, or in some cases the lack of money, is showing some interesting points.

Anna Sophia (Dawson) Mathew's mother died in 1867 and Will (1864) gives £10 to daughter Anna Sophia Mathew but mentions husband provided £300 to daughters although it sounds as though there wasn't money to fulfil all the bequests.

Thomas Dobbin Maxwell died 1871 with an estate valued at under £200. His will would also be worth checking.

Hugh Willis Thomson died 1885 and letters of administration (approx. £708) granted to a creditor.

Sarah Elizabeth Wilhelmina (Mathew) Thomson died 1887 and her estate only worth about £25 with probate to William Archibald Kidd. Her Will might mention provision for all her children.

William Archibald Kidd died 29 Jan.1892 and left the considerable sum of £13,710 but of course this is a few years after the younger children were sent away.

Offline WHMaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 January 16 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your findings, I will look into obtaining the wills tomorrow. Are they held at PRONI?

I thought most Irish wills were destroyed, and I have not applied for any before.

The Maxwell's family fortunes were halted by the recklessness of Thomas's father, William Hamilton Maxwell, who squandered both his and his wife's inheritances and also every penny he made from writing. He was declared bankrupt twice and spent time residing in The Fleet prison.

I do know that Sarah, her husband Thomas Dobbin Maxwell, William Archibald Kidd and Thomas Augustus Prentice jointly owned a property in Tandragee, circa 1867. Also that the eldest children from Mathew's marriage to Jessie Ann Kidd, benefitted from the income accrued from a £500 marriage settlement created by William Lodge Kidd, Jessie's father.

I am not surprised that W A Kidd left over £13.000, the Kidd family as a whole, were very capable people, and like the  Prentices, good at making money and holding onto it. I think that by 1892 the Kidd/Maxwell connection was fairly tenuous.

I have ordered a copy of William and Anne's marriage certificate, to see who the witnesses were.

Hugh Willis Thomson had children from his first marriage and I think both he and Sarah were living fairly hand to mouth on Hugh's professional earnings. I see though, that their house, Riversdale is substantial, but I do not know if it was owned by them. It still survives, and in good condition.

I can't see why stepmother Anna would have felt forced to send the youngest children for adoption when she knew that their adult half brother and two half sisters were capable and willing to support them at their own expense.

On our mantlepiece we have a poignant image of William Mathew and Sarah together when She was about ten years old, innocent of the tragic events that lay ahead.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 January 16 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I will look into obtaining the wills tomorrow. Are they held at PRONI?

PRONI (Belfast)- original destroyed but transcription from Will Book can be seen:
The Will of Elizabeth Dawson late of Dungannon County Tyrone Widow deceased who died 25 August 1867 at same place was proved at Armagh by the oaths of the Reverend Abraham Dawson by the oaths of the Reverend Abraham Dawson of Knocknamuckly Parsonage (Moyallen Gilford) County Down Clerk one of the Executors. Effects under £1,500

National Archives (Dublin)- click on 'image' to see entry in index:
Thomas Dobbin Maxwell died 1871 (Will does not survive but NA might have Will Book)
   http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639284595
Hugh Willis Thomson died 1885 (letters of administration so there was no Will)
   http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639531004
Sarah Elizabeth Wilhelmina (Mathew) Thomson died 1887 (Will does not survive but NA might have Will Book)
   http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639529088
William Archibald Kidd died 29 Jan.1892 (Will does not survive but NA might have Will Book)
   http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/details.jsp?id=1639493955

Offline WHMaxwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 January 16 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your guidance.