Author Topic: Hector Mackay(Strathay branch)  (Read 8489 times)

Offline Poozan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hector Mackay(Strathay branch)
« on: Saturday 10 April 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Hector Mackay who was a Tacksman of Skerry in Sutherland in the C18th. I would love to know more about him. I know that he had a son John but that is all.
hutton, cuthbertson, mackenzie, mackay

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hector Mackay(Strathay branch)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 04:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Poozan,

I recommend you try to gain access to the "Book of Mackay" compiled by Rev. Angus Mackay. This is the story of Clan Mackay, and contains a genealogical Account at the back of the book, covering most of the descendants of the first chief.

This shows several Hectors, including one Hector who had a sasine of Skerray, 7th March 1679. He was a son of John Mackay of Skerray, and grandson of Hugh Mackay of Strathy. Hector of Skerray had 4 sons and 2 daughters. The first son, Donald, died and his brother, John of Clashneach, was his heir. John was factor for the 3rd Lord Reay, and his Gaelic name was Iain MacEachainn, and he was mentor of Rob Donn the Gaelic poet.

You will find the "Book of mackay" in large /reference libraries and you may also find it on line.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Poozan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help. I am fortunate enough to have a reader's ticket for the British Library in London and they are sure to have the book you recommend. I will order it for later this week and see how I get on.

regards

Susan

Offline Poozan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 April 10 13:54 BST (UK) »
When I worked out how to understand the way the book worked, I went back 9 generations. However I am going back tomorrow to have another look since I didn't get back as far as Hector. The lineage I have worked out so far is John Mackay of Skerray had a son called Hugh Mackay of Cairnloch(who moved to Caithness). He and his brother Hector signed an agreement in 1688 otherwise I have no dates. Hugh had a son called Robert Mackay of Clyth m.1718, d. 1754 who had a son John m. 1758, d.1793 who took over at Clyth. John had a son called Alexander of Blackcastle. He is my gt gt gt grandfather and wrote a manuscript called the Blackcastle Manuscript, 574 pages, which the Rev Angus Mackey consulted when he was writing his book.

If you can be bothered to read all this let me know if you think it is correct or not.

Susan

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 April 10 18:03 BST (UK) »
Susan,

I agree with what you have worked out. The father of John of Skerray was Huistean Du (Uisdean Dubh; or Black Hugh), chief of Clan Mackay. Thus, you appear to descend from the chiefly line of Mackays (and the Stewart Kings through Elizabeth, sister of Donald , Lord of the Isles, i.e. the MacDonalds).

I do not see a Hector in your line, either. Hugh of Cairnloch had a brother, Hector, but, of course, that is not your line. Where did you obtain the information that you are descended form a Hector Mackay?

Another book that you might look for at the library is "History of The House and Clan of Mackay", by Robert Mackay W.S. Thurso, written in 1829. Its genealogy section (page 571) is even more difficult to follow than the "Book of Mackay" but it is sometimes possible to glean facts from the narrative.

Good luck,

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Poozan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 April 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply, it was good of you to take the trouble to read what I wrote. I got the information, incorrect as it turned out, from p. 15 and 16 of a magazine of the Clan Mackay Society, Bratach Bhan, 2006 edition which I was able to download. It must have been a mistake on their part.

I am very tempted to take the train from London, where I live , to Wick, rent a car and drive around the places I can only read about like Clyth and Ulbster. Would there be gravestones to look at?

Please can you tell me the difference between a Sassine and a Tack? Can they be looked up?

We have a copy of a tack of 1813 between my Mackenzie gt gt gt grandfather and the countess of Sutherland. I am afraid he must have farmed land that crofters had been turned off.

My mother's parents were when a female Mackay married a  male Mackenzie. I was very cross to find out that in the Rev Angus Mackay's book my grandmother's name had been omitted. I was tempted to put it in in pencil!

Well I have babbled on as usual, no need to reply.

Offline Clunes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 October 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
If you look at THE BOOK OF MACKAY PAGES 310-317 you will see your line of descent - start on page 316 Vb.   Bella Dunnett, daughter of Frank Forbes Mackay was a friend of mine as well as being a distant cousin.   I have the "Forbes Mackay" big brass doorknocker !   

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 October 14 20:43 BST (UK) »
Poozan: in very simple terms, a "tack" is the proper term in Scots law for a fixed term lease, commonly over agricultural land.

A Sasine, on the other hand, denotes tenure of land as an owner, albeit subject to permanent burdens on the use of the land imposed by the feudal superior who originally disponed the land to you or your ancestors. It will always, if after the early 17th century, be recorded in the appropriate county record and may still be obtained.