Author Topic: Kavanagh and Carton of Brockagh Wicklow  (Read 41043 times)

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Kavanagh and Carton of Brockagh Wicklow
« on: Saturday 10 April 10 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, is anyone researching these names please? My great grand father was Thomas Kavanagh sone of John and Catherine nee Carton, born Annamoe 1865 with brother Lawrence born 1866 and later a brother John but no idea where he was born as yet.
John and Catherine came to England but don't know when and Thomas married in Co Durham in 1894 but, after over 10 years, i have never  been able to find his death anywhere.
I would so appreciate hearing from anyone researching these nams or anyone who knows anything of these names and might be related - that would be great. Thanks E.

Moderator Note : Placename corrected in subject - Brockagh not Brockage

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kavanagh and Carton of Brockage Wicklow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
You already have a long thread on Kavanagh family here-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,425813.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 April 10 22:00 BST (UK) »
thanks but being new i didn't know ho to mege them and i was adding a new name too.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 10 13:48 BST (UK) »
not sure what Wicklow details you are looking for, but Annamoe is located on the road between Laragh and Roundwood and appears to be in the Civil parish of Derrylossary and the RC parish of Glendalough. You dont mention the familiy religion but Catholic records for this parish survive back to about 1807 with several gaps around the late 1830s, Church of Ireland for Derrylossary have not survived. The RC records are available on microfilm in the National Library. The Irish Family History Foundation (www.irish-roots.ie) also have many RC baptism transcripts for Co. Wicklow.

I also dont see any promising marriage matches for the marriage of John & Catherine on the Irish Civil Index, so it's possible they married before 1864.

Details for both Thomas and Lawrence are on the IGI, and both include references to help locate civil details for them. The IGI does not show a birth for John using a parent search in Ireland or England, but this does not include all births. The Registration district for the Annamoe area is Rathdrum and there are a few John Kavanagh births in that district in the 1860s, but the only way to confirm if any of these if part of the family would be to order birth certs for them

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane for the information. it took me ages to find out how to reply to you. Yes the family were Catholics. I have the birth cert for Thomas born 9.4.1865 and i have his marriage cert for April 1894 in Lanchester Co Durham England but i have never ever been able to find a death cert for him anywhere. His birth cert gave me the Carton info etc and i had hoped to find out more about them too. I am thinking Lawrence must have died because on the 1881 census i find them living in Co Durham with a John born in 1870 but not in Ferry Hill as it says. This family is a mystery and has Thomas born in Wrexham in North Wales but i now find he wasn't. I was told not to rely on the info on the census records for place of birth and that seems to be true to date. I had hoped to find John's birth but that too is proving hard if not impossible like Thomas's death. Thomas's wife, Margaret McCoy re-married in 1902 to Patrick Mc Intryre and i assumed Thomas was dead making him die around 1898-1902 but no death is listed for him. I am new to all of this really but lost and would love to find Thomas before i die too - is that daft? thanks again for all your help and your info was very intersting as i didn't know where Annimoe was. E.   

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 April 10 15:18 BST (UK) »
not sure If youve seen the following Griffith's record, but it shows a Ralph Carton in the village of Laragh which is in the townland of Brockagh - so possibly family to Catherine ?  He is one on just 5 Carton listings in the county. The record is dated 1854.

Name : Ralph Carton
 Landlord : William Mahon
 County : Wicklow
 Barony : Ballinacor, North
 Union : Rathdrum
 Parish : Derrylossary
 Townland : Brockagh
 Place Name : Village of Laragh

see - Carton, Wicklow

p.s. There are also several Kavanagh listings on the same page.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 April 10 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane. i have never seen one of those befoe so i really don't understand it. How would i find out if that Ralf Carton or indeed any of the Kavanagh's listed there were mine? I hope i am not being a pest and if you are busy that's ok. Thanks for all your help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 April 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Griffiths valuation is a land taxation survey-so only shows basic details of heads of household and the property they lease or own. To follow up the details you would need to research church records, but given the small number of Carton households shown on the survey and the fact that the town/townland location matches up, it seems quite likely the Ralph was Catherine's family... possibly even her father. The Kavanghs will be a little more difficult to follow up as it's quite a common surname (I have Kavangh ancestors also - but in North Co. Dublin).

If you google Griffith's Valuation you will see more details on the survey.

Hopefully the IFHF website mentioned earlier will add RC marriages to their system at some stage, which would allow you to search for the Kavanagh/Carton marriage and hopefully discover further details on them.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 April 10 16:19 BST (UK) »
When you say North Dublin do you mean Queens? i did look at a John and Catherine there too just in case.
What is IFHF?
Lawrence looks a possible given that John and Catherine named a son Lawrence but so does John. How would i look for a death of Lawrence Kavanagh born 1866 and dying before 1871, maybe in Ireland?  I ask becuase if this is the right family there is no Lawrence listed on the 1871 census where Thomas is said to have been born in Wrexham so i am guessing Lawrence died. why did Irish families not say exactly where in Ireland they were born and the area of the children's birth too?