Author Topic: Kavanagh and Carton of Brockagh Wicklow  (Read 41024 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Kavanagh and Carton of Brockage Wicklow
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 April 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
IFHF stands for the Irish Family History Foundation, and they run a pay-per-view website that holds parish records for some parts of Ireland.

Full Civil registration started in 1864, so from this date there are birth, marriage, and death certs. See the rootschat topic  2 Minute Introduction to Irish Records for details on searching the index, ordering certs and the details they contain.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 11 April 10 16:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, since i guess they were married before 1864 how would i find out when and where they did marry?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 April 10 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, since i guess they were married before 1864 how would i find out when and where they did marry?

Assuming that they married in the same Laragh/Brockagh area, then the only option at the moment is to look at the microfilms records for the parish in the National Library in Dublin... other than that your best hope is probably to keep an eye out on the IFHF pay-website (www.irish-roots.ie) to see if they add the RC marriage records I mentioned earlier. Also keep an eye on the Wicklow section of rootschat.. I sure any news of new online records will be mentioned here

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 April 10 16:49 BST (UK) »
OK, thanks again Shane. I have looked at the Irish Family Search but they have nothing listed for anyone and i know Thomas was born there bu he isn't listed. nothaving any luck again but will keep looking as i have for the last 10 years. thanks E.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 April 10 17:37 BST (UK) »
I had a look through the IFHF index for Carton births (much easier to search rarer surnames) and found a few that match father's name of Ralph, that might be of interest.

Glendalough RC Parish
 Bridget Carton 1850
 Cecilia Carton 1840    
 Ellenor Carton 1853

RC parish Rathdrum
 Catherine Carten 1829

Rathdrum town is about 11km south of Laragh.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 April 10 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks fo doing that Shane, i appreciate it.
I think that would make Catherine in her 30's when she married, isn't that a bit old if her first child, Thomas, wasn't born until 1865, she would be 36? if there is only one Catherine listed it is a good bet that it must be her, do you agree?
Thanks again
E.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 April 10 19:51 BST (UK) »
It's definitely worth keeping a note of as a possible match, but I just did a search for baptisms of a Catherine Carton with father's name of Ralph based on the name listed on Griffiths.... there could have been other Carton families in the area when Catherine was born, or her father could have already been deceased by the time of Griffiths valuation (1850s). Hopefully a marriage record will show up at some stage which may show her fathers name and allow a better search for her baptism.

I'd say given the very small number of Carton families listed in Co. Wicklow that Ralph Carton on Griffiths is connected - but it's possible he is a descendant of the Ralph Carton on the possible Baptism record.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline eyshame

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 11 April 10 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes i will keep a note of it and hope the marriage things come soon.
When  I get confirmation of where they came from i hope to get over there and see for myself. I have been to Dublin many times whe young and loved it and hope t return one day too.
I am only going off a birth cert and hope  ahve the right one.
E.

Offline brad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 October 10 02:35 BST (UK) »
hello there, I have a Catherine carton in my tree  father Ralph  who went to England husband was John  Carroll  there could be a connection here. But some dates a bit out. They Married in Whitehaven  father Ralph was a miner from that area and died in Brockagh . I think this could well be worth a follow up , await your reply. By the way i live in New Zealand my Catherine and John Carroll came to New Zealand.
OXFORD: Humphries, Stanford Savins Riddle Harper:
LONDON: Ambridge.Skinner.Cole MacDonald.
Germany : Otto .Grabouski:
Poland :Grabouski.
Essex : Peagram.
Lancashire: Livesey.
Northern Ireland:O'Loan.Bradley. O'Kane.
Ireland. Carroll --Wicklow.Coughlan--Waterford:Carton Wicklow.
Lynch/Fagan  Cork / Dublin:O'Regan Cork:Malone --Clare.O'Brien --Clare:Kerry----Delaney:
isle of Wight : Salter, Gatrill, Frampton.
Warwickshire: Webb, Fulford.
New Zealand only: Davis.