Author Topic: Danish ancestors - knowledge sought (Nedahl)  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Danish ancestors - knowledge sought (Nedahl)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
The Danes used the suffixes -sen(m) and -datter(f),  but I haven't come across the use of prefixes.
However, on the basis of how it would sound, "Biornedahl" might possibly have started out as two names - "Björn Nedahl."
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Isle of Lewis
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 April 10 02:21 BST (UK) »
It looks like this search has exhausted itself for now. Many thanks to contributors.

I've managed to look through some shipping/arrival indexes but found no Nedahl's. I'll try again later.

I've pulled together the Danish data for the early 1800s and can see the family mentioned above, with descendents, lots of Freds, but none for 1830. Not sure about the Fred who went to the USA, born about 1815, where he fits. If anyone wants a report from my spreadsheet as a start to accessing the Danish data I'll pass it on.

I found a site with another family genealogy (I think, it's all in Danish) http://www.rosekamp.dk/Weilweb/
and two Nedahl girls appear there, getting married. What drew me there was the number of mentions of Rostock and Hamborg. Not Nedahls, but people in the tree who travelled or stayed there.
I'm open to ideas about people travelling to America, possibly through Canada (the cheap way!), could an overland trip through Europe and departure from Ireland also be a route to the new world?
Pembrokeshire - Brown, Rees, Thomas, James, Nedahl, Noot
Somerset - Brown, Parfitt, Daniell, Wheeler, Clissold, Indoe
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline Hels1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Our surname is Nedahl. I always believed my great grandfather to be Swiss-German.
I believe there were Danish relatives too however. I know Frederick Nedahl is a family name,
although my mother knows more as she is very interested in geneology.
Please do not hesitate to let me know if I can help in any way,
Helen Nedahl

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 April 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer of help Helen. I suspect I may have been in contact with your mother some time ago. My side of the family is through the Mary Ann NEDAHL/REES connection so there has been no contact that I know of that explains the NEDAHL history. I know that Mary Ann's sister Eliza and a brother visited Tenby where the REES family lived as I have a photo of them, and some items made by Frederick (a ring and a box) still exist, but there is not much else known other than what we can find online.
I have been to the records office a couple of times but nothing new has emerged.
Best wishes, David
Pembrokeshire - Brown, Rees, Thomas, James, Nedahl, Noot
Somerset - Brown, Parfitt, Daniell, Wheeler, Clissold, Indoe
Wiltshire - Collins