Author Topic: Analysing DNA results  (Read 2024 times)

Offline ChrisWibs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Analysing DNA results
« on: Tuesday 13 April 10 11:21 BST (UK) »
I used DNA testing as a long shot means of finding close relatives.
I have 67 markers tested by Genebase..I have also posted the results onto Ysearch.....
Of my 6 closest 'matches' on Genebase four were named McCracken... 40/42 markers matched ...39/42..etc
I also Have two 19/20 matches, one a Muir and the other a Buchanan.

On Ysearch I compared my results against all McCrackens (27 in all)... 8 of them resulted in a match with only one difference over tests ranging from 12 to 27 markers. Of these 8 the only difference arose on 5 individuals with marker GATA H4.
On Genebase my readings on GATA A10 was different to all the McCrackens.

When you compare results does it matter which markers are different...in other words do particular markers represent specific areas of mutation ..Do certain markers have to be the same for there to be close relative??

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: Analysing DNA results
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi - what I would do is try to contact those with close matches who share your surname.  Those are the people who are most likely to share common ancestors within the past several generations.

Look at http://www.familytreedna.com/genetic-distance-markers.aspx

for some indications of what various "distances" suggest, and which markers have a tendency to move "most rapidly".  Google will also help in determining which gene mutations are more likely than others.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline ChrisWibs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Analysing DNA results
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Nick

Appreciate your reply....it made me do more research...it appears, according to SMGF that I should add 1 point to FTDNA markers in respect of GATA H4...makes a big difference and of course answers the problem.   Another marker that is very problematic is DYS464c.....many people simply ignore it I gather ......

Mel W (husband of Chris !)