Author Topic: Corney/Godley  (Read 11665 times)

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Corney/Godley
« on: Wednesday 14 April 10 20:11 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a transcript of a gravestone located, until recently, in the churchyard at Ditchling. The grave is for Elizabeth Hards who, I believe, was previously Elizabeth Corney nee Elizabeth Godley born 1825 in Pyecombe. I think that she died in 1878 and at her death was married to her second husband Henry Hards of The Bull Public House. I had noted the grave on my first visit in 2009 but hadn't realized it's importance and when I returned recently to photograph and transcribe it properly it had disappeared. There's a lesson learned! I know that Taryn Jones had an interest in this family and there was some info on her website but I haven't been able to get in contact with her and she seems to have faded away. Does anybody have a transcript of this grave? Regards SP
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Corney/Godley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted Ditchling Museum to see if they have any Monumental Inscriptions?
Andrea

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 April 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sillgen, good answer. I e-mailed them and they sent me the transcript. Thank you.
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett

Offline EskimoKiss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hey, so my mums maiden name is godley, im australian and im trying to get info from the sussex end of the line. I have a lot of info on the australian side but hardly anything from english end. If you would be kind enough id love for you to email me and pass info on. In exchange i must admit it was difficult but eventually i did make contact with Taryn Jones and its taking an extremly long time but apparently she is sending me everything that she has. So once she sends it to me i can pass it straight onto you. :) But anyway my email is * obviously fill in the blank spaces thats just so this site wont block it out like they did yours

Hope to hear from you soon..
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline cazz06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 21:17 GMT (UK) »
hi some of my family moved to austrailia in 1886 george and ann richards her maiden name was godley i have some info it you are interested not sure if its the same godleys
caz

Offline harriman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 December 12 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Hey, so my mums maiden name is godley, im australian and im trying to get info from the sussex end of the line. I have a lot of info on the australian side but hardly anything from english end. If you would be kind enough id love for you to email me and pass info on. In exchange i must admit it was difficult but eventually i did make contact with Taryn Jones and its taking an extremly long time but apparently she is sending me everything that she has. So once she sends it to me i can pass it straight onto you. :) But anyway my email is * obviously fill in the blank spaces thats just so this site wont block it out like they did yours

Hope to hear from you soon..
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline harriman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 December 12 04:44 GMT (UK) »
hi i have a sarah ann godley married to a john cook sussex her parents were johnand sarah any help?

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 December 12 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Waranga. There's a Sarah Ann Godley possibly (one of the options) marries John Cook in Brighton Q2 1837. There's also a Sarah Godley born Preston (Sussex) 10/01/1819 to John & Sarah Godley. I'm not sure if this is the same person, Sarah Ann Godleys are a bit thin on the ground before 1845. Do you have any more clues?

Offline mbjjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 January 13 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello! My name is Maureen Corney and I am Taryn's mother. We had done quite a lot of genealogy several years ago but then her university studies got in the way. However, we have lately gotten back into it.

The gravestone of Philip and Elizabeth is gone?? Oh no! They were my great great grandparents. We saw the grave in 2002 and took photos. It was still readable at that time. What a shame, perhaps it fell over.

I have a fair amount of information on the Corneys and Godleys, and lots on the Farncombes, thanks to the local history society there. We live in Canada.