Author Topic: Corney/Godley  (Read 11674 times)

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corney/Godley
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 19 January 13 12:32 GMT (UK) »
The R Godley is Richard, he's a brother of James & Elizabeth born 1846 died 1933 and buried in Pyecombe. He was at the Plough Inn for 30 years or so, married Charlotte Newman and had two children Annie and George. There's several good photos of the pub around whilst he was the landlord, especially when they did a recreation of a coach run from London to Brighton during which there is a crowd outside the pub and presumably one of them is Richard and possibly some of the others are there family too.

I've found Ether Godley (Heasman) living at the Cherry Tree public house in Hornchurch Essex in 1881, and after that she seems to be at 'Ward 5', Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1891 and 1901. In 1911 she is at 431 Vickers (something), Winnipeg and she dies 4th Aug 1933 again in Winnipeg. I don't have access to the Canadian/American records other than what's free on the web so research over there is difficult and hard to confirm. Her husband is Thomas Heasman and her children are Alice (Drysden), William, Ann Elizabeth and Thomas Henry.

Also interesting as a Godley public house is the Royal George in Burgess Hill (was St Johns common in Clayton parish). When the Godleys first lived at Friars Oak Burgess Hill wasn't really there. It had originally been waste or common land in the parishes of Clayton, Keymer and Wivelsfield but they had decided to divide the land up under the enclosures act and give a piece to everyone who had a right to graze or whatever and/or sell the rest. The Keymer bit had already happened and that was the start of Burgess Hill to the east of the London Rd. Whilst George was at the Friars Oak they decided to do the same for the Clayton side and the hearings to divide it up were held in his pub. He bought a parcel of land on the London Rd and built himself a new pub on it which he called the Royal George. That's when his son Henry took over running the Friars Oak and most of the rest of the family moved to St Johns in Clayton or Burgess Hill as it was to become. They were a well known local family and crop up in newspapers of the time for various things especially taking part in sporting events. The Royal George was demolished in 2001 although the road where it stood is still called Royal George Rd. I've only got one photo of it from just before it was knocked down. One day when I get time I'm planning to call into the West Sussex records office and see if they kept any plans.
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 January 13 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

was delighted to read this thread as Sarah Godley (b.1829) was my ggg-grandmother - she married John Lidbetter (b.1820) in 1848.

I knew a little of George Godley and the connection to the Friars Oak and Royal George inns, but hadn't researched much more of the Godley side, so a lot of information here that has fired my enthusiasm for further digging; thank you all!

Dropping down the Lidbetter side, a few of my ancestors carried on in the innkeeping and catering trade in Sussex. I don't live far from Sussex, and have always wanted to book a few days in a B&B for the area, and enjoy a relevant 'pub crawl'!

If anyone has any photos or further information they are happy to share, I would be really grateful.

Mrs. T.
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Offline mbjjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 19 January 13 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mrs. T! wow, this is very cool! Somewhere I have a picture I found on the internet of the Bull in Ditchling with the name C. Lidbetter painted on the side. I seem to recall that in the local museum there they had a box of matches also with the name. I haven't been able to post a picture here yet, it says they are too big, so I will see if I can resize them. About 9 years ago we had lunch at the Bull with another Godley descendent. I've forgotten her name so will have to look it up.

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 January 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Maureen, nice to 'meet' you!

The C. Lidbetter at the Bull, Ditchling was Charlie Lidbetter, son of Sarah Godley and John Lidbetter.
The 1891 census shows him there with his mother, sister and some nieces. The 1901 and 1911 censuses show him as the innkeeper there.  He died in 1922.

One of his brothers, William was a 'Dining Room Proprietor' in Brighton for some years.

I am descended from another brother, George Lidbetter.

I also remember finding what sounds like the same photo of the Bull on the internet - but I should really get myself down to the area and tread in those ancestors' shoes!

Mrs. T.

Hayden

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 January 13 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen (and Mrs T)
They are interesting photos of the Friars Oak and would seem to confirm that the building there now is not the original from the Godleys time. Unfortunately the pictures are more of the oak tree than the pub, it's a very nice tree but I'd love a better look at the pub. Somewhere I've seen a photo of a early bicycle race where the cyclists are posing outside the door of the Friars oak Inn. It's just after the Godleys left the inn but I'm sure that the doorway is the doorway in your photo rather than the one that's there now. When I lay my hands on it I'll send you a copy and show you.

Edward Fox was a local photographer. His workshop was in the Lanes in Brighton close to where my office used to be. I've found a copy of the 'Oak in Summer' on a website, it's the same photo but doesn't mention that it's at Friars Oak. I'm hoping to find another photo of the same place but with a better view of the inn! I'll have to keep looking.

I've seen that photo of The Bull with Charlie Lidbetters name on the side as well. I've an idea it's hanging on the wall in the actual pub.
S
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 January 13 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi spower(& Maureen again!)

Would be great if you have any luck in finding some photos; I only have the modern image ones.

I really must get myself down to the Bull at Ditchling in the summer!

If either of you would like me to email a photo of George Godley, just PM me with your address and I'll be happy to forward it.

Will keep in touch,

Mrs. T.
Hayden

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 January 13 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, should have specified the photo is george's son George Godley (1827-1914).
Hayden

Offline mbjjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 January 13 03:48 GMT (UK) »
A query for Godley researchers. I was looking at census returns for Jane Godley, b. 1836, the sister who married Alfred Dennard. In 1861 Elizabeth Godley Corney was looking after little William Denard, age 1, while Jane was in service. In 1871 the Dennard family is living in Dover. I can't find them in 1881. There seems to be an Alfred Dennard who died in 1876. I found their youngest boy Albert, age 10, living with another Godley sister, Sarah Lidbetter. You don't suppose she is the sister who was found dead, do you? She would only have been in her thirties. Perhaps her husband died and she couldn't go on. Just a thought, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree!  ???

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 31 January 13 21:51 GMT (UK) »
That's an interesting thought, Maureen.  Worth a bit of digging around methinks - and woo-hoo, it's nearly the weekend!

Mrs. T. x

Hayden