Author Topic: Corney/Godley  (Read 11679 times)

Offline mbjjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Corney/Godley
« Reply #27 on: Monday 11 February 13 04:27 GMT (UK) »
Hey, look at this...the Friar's Oak giftware etc etc etc!  ;D

http://www.zazzle.ca/corbisimages/gifts?cg=196225620524858204

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 February 13 13:18 GMT (UK) »
I think that after Alfred (Dennards) death Jane remarries John Smith in Brighton 31/10/1880 and in the 1881 census they are at 10 Terminus Place, Brighton. The marriage is on igi and Janes father is given as George Godley. Those type of igi records are usually pretty good. After that I'm not sure what happens, Smith is a ....... difficult surname to keep track of isn't it! I think it likely that they stay in Brighton or nearby, John is fairly old (born 1817) so I can't imagine he's going to start a new life somewhere else in the country. There are some John Smiths who die in Brighton around 1890 but I can't find Jane again, well not so far anyway.

Those photos of the Friars Oak Inn tree are fantastic Maureen. The winter one is of sufficient quality to zoom in on the inn and you can just about read the name on the side of the building. I've finally found the other picture that I was thinking of, it shows a group of cyclists outside the front door in 1893. When I finally get my son off the computer with the scanner I'll post a copy and you can see what you think. I've also had a look through some old OS maps  as well but the images are too big to post here so I will have to send them by e-mail. I was wondering if the original print of the winter tree would give even more detail. Regards S.
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett

Offline Nicole Stresing

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 August 15 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All!
I am new here (and to geneology) and am overwhelmed by all the information!!  I have no idea if anyone is still using this thread, but I thought I'd try! I am a descendant on the Godley side; Richard Godley born around 1872 (son of James and Hepzibah?) is my gg grandfather. As far as I can find, Richard immigrated to the US about 1889 and married Anna Lindeman.  I found an old photo in my grandfathers things the other day of a tavern with the sign "The Royal George Inn Tamplins Entire". In handwriting on the bottom someone wrote "Tavern of James Godley in Burgess Hill".  Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track and give me any information on Richard and going farther back?  Thanks so much in advance!

Nicole

Offline spower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 September 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicole
I'm very pleased to make your acquaintance. I am a decendant of Richard's brother William James. I have Richard as being baptised 11 Nov 1870 at Burgess Hill but I haven't managed to confirm what happens to him after 1891 and suspected that he had immigrated to the US along with his brothers Walter John & Frederick. I would be very interested in anything that you have on the family and am happy to send you what I know. I'm particularly interested in any photos. The Godley interest in public houses appears to have started with Richard's grandfather, George Godley, who took up the trade at the nearby 'Friars Oak' and did sufficiently well to have the 'Royal George' built at Burgess Hill which was then a new town just starting up. The whole family seems to have taken up running Inns and Taverns and they had a hand in running a substantial number of the pubs in Sussex and beyond. Unfortunately the Royal George was demolished in 2001 although the title survives in the road name just off London Rd in Burgess Hill.
Godley, Farncombe, Older, Hunt, Meads, Barber, Winter, Morley, Carter, Westgate, Bates, Pickett

Offline mbjjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 September 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicole,nice to meet you. My great great grandmother was Elizabeth Godley of the Friar's Oak pub. She married Philip Corney and together they ran The Bull Inn in Ditchling. I don't do much genealogy during the summer but once the weather turns foul I'll be back at it!  :)

Maureen (Corney) Jones