Author Topic: John William Tomkins  (Read 16501 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John William Tomkins
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valda,

One step forward, two back:

Your comment about Lady in waitings being of nobility, yes, we have found more hand written folklore:
Dr. Petcher m. Lady ..... only daughter of an Earl (Lady in waiting to the Queen).

Plenty of Earls around, may be one had a wife Lady Ellis and a daughter Mary Ellis.

Another publication "Royal Mistresses and Bastards" by Anthony J. Camp suggests that Edward Augustus, Duke of York had a mistress in the 1760's called Mrs. Saunders.

I need to find the death for William Petch, pre his wife 1821. You would have expected that he had a Will.

Regards,

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Did his wife leave a will? If she was the daughter of an Earl she would have the title Lady. If her husband died before her then he may not have left a will. Younger men are less likely to leave wills.

Previous question

Have you been able to date the portrait?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 08:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi Valda,

I do not have the original portrait of Dorothy Petcher / Elizabeth Ann Petch. To whom would I send a copy to have it dated?

This is the start of her Will - no mention of Lady Mary Petch.
One Exec was John James Catherwood (see below)
The other Exec was her son Dr. George Ellis Petch who died 1830.
Her servant/ companion was Sarah Bee. I would say that her dad was Dr. William Bee of Noble Street Clerkenwell (about her son's age). Noble and Fore Streets seem closeby.

Mary Petch, Shoreditch, Middx.            WILL        Proved 14 Jan 1823     PROB11/1665

This is the last Will and Testament of me Mary Petch of No 17 Hoxton Square in the Parish of Saint Leonard, Shoreditch, in the County of Middlesex, widow...  and I nominate and appoint my son George Ellis Petch of Castle St, Falcon Square in the City of London, Doctor in Medicine and John James Catherwood of Charles Square, City Road in the County of Middlesex Esquire Executors of this my Will... 

[The Executor John James Catherwood of Charles Square was born 25 May 1752 and buried in St. John, Hackney 12 Dec 1829, aged 78 years old, thus making him of similar age to Mary Petch. He was a receiver of corn returns and accountant of general excise. His father William Catherwood was a former apothecary, then land waiter from Hurst Village, Berkshire.]

Regards,

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The will gives you evidence that she married as Mary Petch, had children baptised as Petch, wrote a will as Mary Petch. There is no indication from the will that she was using the alias of Petcher at any point.

National Portrait Gallery

'The National Portrait Gallery can help with your family history research.  If you want to search for a portrait of your ancestor or find out more about an existing portrait you can search our Collections online; contact our free enquiry service or visit the Heinz Archive & Library and conduct your research in person.'

http://www.npg.org.uk/research/archive/family-history.php

Regards

Valda

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 February 11 07:12 GMT (UK) »
To Eyesee and Valda (and other interested persons who have been assisting on this Tomkins line or reading this message line)

I have now returned to the information you have supplied on Samuel Tomkins, the Banker of Lombard Street, and addresses in Russell Street, Fitzroy Square and Lambeth, Surrey.

I now have a highly possible link in that 1841 Census supplied by Valda shows Samuel Tomkins 80, banker  living at Albion Place, Christchurch, Surrey. If this is a similar location to that of James William Tomkins (d. 1817) Insured premises 2 Albion Place, Walworth - 1793, then the possibilities increase.  I just have to now prove the link.

He is not my ancestor Samuel Tomkins, the merchant of Bread Street (d. 1818); however, I am sure that he will a cousin of some kind.

Transcriptions of Wills for three brothers John William Tomkins (d. 1817), his bachelor brother William (d. 1827) and my ancestor Samuel Tomkins (d. 1818) - all buried Bunhill  Fields, will show that they are the sons of Nicholas Tomkins (b. 1707)
The first is RG6/498 births registered at Devonshire House in Middlesex. It reads:
Nicholas Tomkins son of Nicholas Tomkins Joyner and Rachel his wife, was born on the 29th. day of the fourth month called June, 1707, Moorfields, in the Parish of St. Stephen Coleman Street ------- Present: Frances Darans
           Mary Rich                                                                Midwife ---------
           Sarah Tomkins                                                       Elinor Tomkins
           Sarah James                                                          Eve Tomkins
(This Eve Tomkins will be the grandmother and wife of Edward Tomkins)

Yes, there is a strong non-conformist link for many of the records that I have found with this Tomkins' line.

Once again, thank you to all helpers, no matter how long ago.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 February 11 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Always interesting to read follow information

Thank you

Regards

Valda

Offline taupo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 February 11 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith and others,
Nice to see you are making progress on the Tomkins line
Christine
Tucker (Kent), Bowen (Pembroke), Barr (Ayr), Elsmore (Gloucester), Pearson (England), Simmons (London), Megaw (Armagh),

Offline Lin007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 29 April 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
Just for interest - Eliza Alicia Isabella Smith who married Samuel Tomkins in 1808 at St Mary Woolnoth, was the daughter of Admiral Edward Tyrell Smith and his first wife Maria Nevin. Samuel and Eliza had seven children altogether. Their second child Maria died in the same year she was born.
I was also hoping to glean more information regarding the witnesses from the entry in the marriage register but I, too, found it difficult to decipher.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 April 11 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thank Lin007 for your response on the Smith / Tomkins marriage. I do have the Will of Samuel Tomkins, Banker of Lombard Street, and I am sure that he also fits into this particular Tomkins' family who we are researching; however, I am yet to prove his father.
He may be a nephew of our lot who were brokers/ merchants close by.

Does the information which you have gives me any indication?

Are you able to send me a personal message with a scan of the information?

Keith