Author Topic: Portadown birth  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
Portadown birth
« on: Thursday 24 March 05 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to find my great grandfathers birth certificate but am unsure what to do next.
My great grandparents were married in Portadown in 1885 (have marriage certificate) in the Roman Catholic Chapel.  John McIlduff, my g grandfather, gives his age as 20.  The family moved to Scotland about 1892 and I've picked them up on the 1901 census.  John gives his age as 37.  Making his birth sometime between 1864/65
I applied for a search and certificate at the GRO in Belfast but have just received a letter saying that they can find no record of a birth between the dates I requested (search 2 years either side).  They say the birth may not have been registered so where do I go from here?
Any advice appreciated
Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smd.far

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Portadown birth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 March 05 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I had exactly the same problem when searching for my mother in law.I had the exact date of birth and did'nt know where to go next as they said she may not have been registered only baptised,but i could'nt get that either.I had a local researcher look for me and it turned out she had been born in the workhouse and was illegitimate and then adopted.None of the family knew about it,but i never would have found it myself as her surname on registration had obviously been different to what i was searching for.The researcher got her birth in the workhouse for me and also on the census her adoptive father had put her down as adopted so i was really lucky.Just a thought for you and if you need any further help please don't hesitate to ask.Suzanne

Offline Matty47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Portadown birth
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 February 06 14:56 GMT (UK) »

Hi Suzanne,

You mentioned in your reply that you had a local researcher look for you.  Would you mind sending me the contact details of the researcher?

Many thanks in advance - Matty.
Best, Brawley, Gelston, Moore and Peden.
If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance.  George Bernard Shaw.