Author Topic: Robert Charles Busher  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Bawtry

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Charles Busher
« on: Thursday 15 April 10 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Does anyone have any ideas on this one because I just can't seem to find the information I am looking for.

Robert Charles Busher was born around 1899-1900, somewhere in England and worked for the North Eastern Railway before moving to India at some point. He then ended up in New Zealand where I know for certain that he died in 1959.

My only problem is that I can't find any record that he was born in England, but the family in New Zealand believe he was.

Busher is a relatively unusual name in the UK, going on what I have researched and wondered if anyone could help?
Many thanks in advance for any help received

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Charles Busher
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 April 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
Does his death cert give his parents names?

Did he marry in NZ - does his marriage cert give any additional details
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Monty59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 17:17 BST (UK) »
Will be useful to know the answers to CaroleW questions.

In the meantime I've looked at census records and birth certificates but have not found anything so far.

Offline Bawtry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi - death printout on order from NZ - he certainly was in India in 1935 because he made a will out to his wife but he had been married for at least 10 years by then.

Will keep you all posted.

The only thing I could find was a Charles Busher found in 1901 in London but until I get the death printout, I can't confirm.

Something tells me he might have been born in India to British parents.

Offline Bawtry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 May 10 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hiya, just to update the people who tried to help me on this one - it seems Robert Charles Busher was actually born in Cocanada in India. His parents are listed as Robert Busher and Katherine Lancaster on his death certificate.

He married in India in Lahore (or was India then).

I looked on the British Library site for India and found an Edward Albert Busher and Catherine Elizabeth A Lancaster who married between 1886 and 1889 in Mussorie India, so I am assuming that they may be his parents.

On ancestry, it seems that Catherine Elizabeth A Lancaster was born in 1868 in Mile End, London which seems the right sort of time but not quite established how she got to India. I have ordered the marriage certificate record but not sure what information is contained on colonial marriage records.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 May 10 22:27 BST (UK) »
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html
 does show some India Births and Baptisms, including Robert Charles Busher, b. 30 Dec 1899 Madras chrs. 28 Jan 1900, Cocanada. There also seems to be an Edward Albert Busher b. to a Richard Busher and a Louisa in 1863.

There's also some English births/baptisms and I think I can track Annie via this:

1) on the site above, Catherine Elizabeth Annie Lancaster (1868) and Daniel George Lancaster (1866), children of Edward Lancaster and Frances Catherine.
2) freebmd.rootsweb.com, shows marriage of Edward Lancaster in 1865 possibly to Frances Catherine Wyatt.
3) on freebmd, Daniel George Lancaster d. 1869 and 3 and Edward Lancaster died 1868 aged 27.
4) on the 1871 census, Catherine Lancaster is listed as the granddaughter of Ann Wyatt, living in Mile End Old Town (I can provide the census info if you need it)
5) on the site above, Frances Catherine Lancaster (father George Wyatt), married Robert Alexander in 1877.
6) no Alexander family in 1881 census in the UK
7) children baptised in India in 1879/1880 to a Robert and Frances Alexander
8) A Robert Alexander, spouse Frances, died in Mussoorie in 1892.

So presumably Robert was working in India and took his new wife (and his step-daughter) there with him.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bawtry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 May 10 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,

Your information is amazing - I will have a proper look when I return from work tonight but please if you could send the census info, that would be brillant.

I can't believe you have found all this - amazing. Many thanks - rootschat is a wonderful website!

Offline Bawtry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 May 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for sending me the link to this site. I have even found Robert Charles Busher's wife Dorothy Eunice Richie and her parents. Her mother was Katherine Elizabeth Nagle but her father is listed as James Purvee and can't find any further back than that.

but back to 1820s for Robert Charles' family so thank you again

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 May 10 15:53 BST (UK) »
1871 census:
RG10/0556 158/42
19 Hawkins Street, MEOT
Ann Wyatt, 57, head, widow, tailoress, b. Oxted Kent
George Wyatt, 23, son, unmarried, tailor, b. Stepney Middlesex
Ann Wyatt, 27, daughter, unmarried, b. Stepney Middlesex (no occupation given)
Catherine Lancaster, 2, granddaughter, b. Stepney Middlesex

at same address in 1861:
George Wyatt, 45, tailor, b. Southampton Ealing
Ann, 45, b. Kent Sevenoakes
Francis (sic), daughter, 18, b. Shadwell
Ann, daughter, 15, b. Stepney
George, son, 13, b. Stepney

I believe in 1871 Frances is listed as Catherine F Lancaster, 28, widowed, b. Shadwell, servant/nurse at Vicarage House, high Street, Storgursey, Somerset. (head of household Frederick Mead King, vicar of Storgursey).

There are a couple of possibles for her first husband Edward Lancaster in 1861, so you'd probably need the marriage certificate of him and Frances to move back on that line.

Going back to the Nagle/Purvee line: I can see the marriage in 1903 of Katherine Florence Nagle, father James Purvee and then in 1901 there is also a birth/death for a Katherine Phyllis Nagle, parents James Arthur Nagle and Katherine Florence.

There's a marriage in 1878 for a "Catherine Florentia Purvis", father James (aged 16), to James Arthur Nagle (aged 27) and a number of children to them (with mother Katherine Florence/Catherine Florence/Florence Catherine). James Arthur Nagle died early in 1903.

(not sure where you get "Katherine Elizabeth" from, she seems to be have the middle name Florence in all the records I can see).

Catherine Florance Purvis was born 11 Sep 1862 in India, parents James and Mary Ann, probably the same couple who married in 1846 in India (Mary Ann nee Palmer).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk