Author Topic: Woodland Park, Newport  (Read 19684 times)

Offline visualize75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woodland Park, Newport
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
i know.  Should have seen his face when i said oh that sounds like jules.  lol
Wesson, Hurleys

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 July 11 22:29 BST (UK) »
Just to update this story, Attached is the coroners inquest on the persons killed but whose bodies were not recovered.
However there is a grave at Christchurch cemetery that has the remains that were found of the persons.
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline harvo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 August 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, The Freehold Residence known as Woodlands was auctioned on the 5th February 1880 as lot 2 of three lots which was in the occupation of J C STRONG Esq,at the Kings Head Hotel,Newport.The land of more than 4acres was lot 3 ,the outbuildings ,garden ,lawns etc were lot 1. I am guessing but it looks like the land in lot 3 may have been used for the start of building of Woodland Road Estate.
    It would also appear that there were two other large properties within the park "Pensbury"
 and" The Firs" which were auctioned 19th august 1896,In this year plans were in place for the estate. "Woodlands " house does not appear on these plans ,but stood where Crescent Road and Woodland Road join together to make Woodland Park Road,but the land where it stood belongs to T.B.R.Wilson Esq.
      The above information is contained in a book' A MAINDEE COMPANION' author Hugh Clark
   The Air Raid 2pm July 7th 1941 Mr Alfred Searle aged 84 of "Gaerwood"Kensington Place[not Woodlands ] and Mrs Daisy Francis Pouncy[housekeeper?] both lost their lives.
     My family The Gimmletts of  13 Eveswell Street ,7 members of the family were lost in this raid,as well as another 26 persons in the close area.
     Another relation lived at 9 Woodland Road ,but had died by 1935,i believe the area is still quite nice?
      Hope this is of help ,Good Hunting

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 August 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Harvo, I don't know if you have looked at the Gimletts entry on my web site but there are photographs of their grave and obituries from the South Wales Argus.
There is also a short story under the South Wales Argus button. I would be interested in photo's of the Gimletts that died if possible.
The ones I used are from a book by Terry Underwood and are reproduced with his kind permission.

http://www.newportsdead.shaunmcguire.co.uk/G.htm
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline harvo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 20 August 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun,
        Yes i have read your site and printed the photos which i have not seen before,the photos i have are of some time prior to the 1940s and probably 20s or earlier,George,Edwin and Gwladys.I do have one problem the photo i have of Edwin does not resemble the one on your site.
         I don't know Terry Underwood or his book ,is it reliable and are the photos genuine ?where did he obtain them ?what is the title of his book?
         Edwin and Doris had two children who survived , Edwin and his sister Louisa,who at the time were old enough to be working and guess this may have saved them,  they lived into adult hood as both married,i wonder if the photo is of this son Edwin?.
         If you wondered what my relationship is my Great Gran was sister of Louisa Gimlett [nee Freeguard ,George's wife ]
         Best Wishes Trevor

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 August 11 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor and Shaun

Firstly - thanks Shaun for the newspaper article. This story continues to fascinate me.

Secondly - Trevor, Terry Underwood is my great uncle (my gran's brother) and I can guarantee the accuracy of any information contained in his books. He wrote several of them many years ago and did a lot of research on them. He is something of a historian on Newport as Im sure Shaun will confirm (and like Shaun himself). Im not sure which of his books covered this particular story but titles are
Yesterday's Newport
The Way We Were In Newport
Once Upon A Time in Newport
Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths

Im sure there is at least another one but I cant remember the title - most of them are stocked in W H Smith and the library will undoubtedly know them too.

Terry is now aged and his health is failing, but his passion for his beloved Newport remains.

Jules
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 August 11 09:21 BST (UK) »
I have to echo Chepstow girls comments about Terry Underwood.
I have not met him personally or know him but the photo's were sent to me via a third party, another Newport historian with Terry's permission to use them and I am sure of the accuracy of them becauseof Terry's involvement.

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 August 11 09:25 BST (UK) »
Didn't realise that the photo of the coroners report would come as large as it did.
Anyway resolves the problem of haveing to put ones glasses on!! ;D

Offline harvo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 August 11 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jules and Shaun,
             Thank you for your replies,and additional info ,just in case it did not come over quite as intended ,there is no way i meant my questions and remarks to be disparaging.
             I guess that Terry is not connected to the Gimlett Family and any information ,photographs etc will have been supplied by a third party?.I did not know or ever meet these named Gimlets,I would have been approaching my second birthday only when this tragedy happened.
            The photographs i have, have passed through the family so i am reasonably sure that the named persons are who is marked on them,
         1]taken in 1915 when Fred [brother of Edwin ,who was not in Eveswell St in 1941]was married and this a wedding photo group,
        2]Is another family group photograph with George ,Louisa and their 5 children and must have been taken before 1912 as daughter Evelyn May died in that year,
        3]I think is a bit later photo of Louisa,Susanna[myGG]and Gwladys Gimlett [maybe 1920s]
   But nothing as up to date as 1940s,I have taken the photos of Edwin's children and wife Doris as genuine as i don't have reason to question them,although i will send copies to an older cousin who may just remember them.
        Just to confuse the issue further Fred and Wife Elsie[ nee Davey] also had children Gwlays,Edwin,Doris.

Shaun i have tried to send photographs but this site would not transmit them ,what am i doing wrong?

Kind Regards Trevor