Author Topic: Woodland Park, Newport  (Read 19724 times)

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Woodland Park, Newport
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 April 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this - its great info and I have saved some of the information from the site for my research.

Im grateful to you all

Julie  ;D
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 April 10 17:57 BST (UK) »
I had forgotten that I had done this page on the bombing with the story from the Argus at the time
Daisy Frances Pouncy was the house keeper killed at the time with Albert Searle.

http://www.newportsdead.shaunmcguire.co.uk/air_raid1.htm
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 April 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi papa1

I saw this page too. You have done a sterling job. Are you local to Newport?

Julie
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 April 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi papa1

I saw this page too. You have done a sterling job. Are you local to Newport?

Julie

Newport born and bred and still here.
Still working o the site as well.

Have I found you on the Cork forum?
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 April 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
papa1,
Visiting Plymouth last year we found 2 instances of my wife's surname on the Plymouth Naval Memorial on the Hoe.
Following these up later, one turned out to be a Newport man, Frederick Charles Oxenham. I was  moved reading how his ship HMS Ardent went into battle against the Scharnost and Gneisenhau -hopeless odds. He died along with 151 other men, only 2 surviving.

Thanks for the chance to discover your site and be reminded again about Frederick Charles. 

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 April 10 07:19 BST (UK) »
Papa

Yes, I posted a message on there ages ago - is that your reply? Im sorry if thats you and I didnt respond. I was without internet for a while so that might have been why I didnt respond. But thank you for doing so (if it is you). I simply dont have enough info about that part of my family to go any further at the moment and Im not sure how to find out any more. Cork is such a big county!

You seem to have a lot of knowledge about Newport during the war years - how are you on the other history periods as well? I ask because I am involved in a big project in Newport (I work in the city centre) which involves bringing Newport's history into the present through a series of street performances in the city centre. Would you be interested in being involved in the story development at all? Its not a big committment and would be strictly voluntary but lots of fun. I can let you have more details if you are interested.

Thank you again for your help here.

Jules  :D

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 April 10 09:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry Julie, I didn’t reply to your post on the Cork forum, just picked your name up.
My roots are mainly from Waterford and also Dublin and Cork.
My interest started in Newport’s war dead when I was looking for the grave of Ronald Fairclough in St Cadoc’s graveyard in Trevethin.
Ronald was a member of my cousin’s RAF squadron and it took me two days to find his grave and when I did the words “We will remember them “ came to mind and I thought, who is remembering you?
That made me think where I could see the names of Newport’s wad dead on a public memorial and there isn’t one other than some on memorials in churches, schools etc, so I set the web site up also for Cwmbran.
I lost family members in both world wars both Irish and Welsh.
Ronald Fairclough’s name and my cousin’s Arthur Fitzgerald are both on the web site.
I have a web site on my cousin and it includes a lot of information about him and his crew as well as information about some other Lancaster bombers. It also includes letters from the German pilot that killed my cousin.

http://www.lancastered627.shaunmcguire.co.uk

So really that is my only knowledge of Newport in the war years

As a matter of interest, I have given permission to copy and archive my web sites to the National Library of Wales who in conjunction with the British and Scottish Library’s are archiving web sites so that they can be made available long after they have closed and so preserving the information they contain (I hope) for future generations.

Offline visualize75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 April 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
flippin heck not even my friends are safe from my father

Hi Jules xxx
Wesson, Hurleys

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 06:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Shells - what are the chances of this happening?!!! Hope you are feeling better xx