Author Topic: France: Lapaille Family  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Cranburygal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
France: Lapaille Family
« on: Saturday 17 April 10 22:23 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Lapaille family of France.  Here's what I know so far:  The family first appears in the 1850 New York City census (surname spelled Lapell).  Rose is 40 and her daughters Juliette and Helena are 19 & 9.  Also living with them is Louisa Lapaille age 60.  All were born in France.  Rose or Rosa Lapaille's husband's name is Hypolite.  He is never named in any US census so I believe he died in France before Rose & her daughters came to the US.  I have been unable to find any immigration records for them but I believe they immigrated circa 1848.  I would like to find more info on them prior to 1850.  Any suggestions would be helpful.  I have never done any French research before.

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: France: Lapaille Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
There are no national indexes for France.

http://www.geopatronyme.com/ does suggest that "Lapaille" was mostly restricted to the north of France by 1891 although "Paille" was more widely spread. (This website only gives you an idea of which places they might have come from, it doesn't have individual records).

Do you have any records (maybe death records for Rose or for her daughters, maybe obituaries, etc) that give you an idea of either Rose's maiden name or where in France they came from?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cranburygal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 April 10 03:33 BST (UK) »
I do have the death certificates of Rose Lapaille & her daughters, Juliette & Helena.  Unfortunately, I don't believe they reveal anything of importance.  Rose Lapaille died November, 1882.  Country of Birth - France.  Father's name - Hypolite.  Mother's name - Rosa.  Place of burial - Weehawken Cemetery. 
Juliette married August Bersier (born Switzerland 1829) and died in 1913 childless.  Her death certificate said born in France.  Name of father - Hipolite Lapaille.  Maiden name of mother - Rosa.  Birthplace of mother - France.
They were all in the United States by October 5, 1850 living in New York City.  I  can't find their immigration records.  It appears they were living with a Mary Malloy (age 23) born Ireland and Frances (Tailor) & Maria Furman born France.  Also in the 1850 census was August Lapell (Painter) (age 30) born France. 

Offline Cheryl_US

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Cranburygal! 

Do you have the marriage records for the girls?  Have you checked for a late 1840s NYC death for Hipolite?  What about Louisa's death and burial info?  Death/marriage records for August?  Records for Helena's children?

I'd suggest you obtain every possible US record and hope something says more than just the country of origin.  So having all the civil and church records can help.  Cemetery interment lists might show other family you weren't aware of that can lead to new info.  Ya never know what might pop up on state census records that weren't on the federal.  Keep trying for that passenger list and check the city directories (the ancestry search option for this doesn't work well) and newspapers.

Best of luck!
Cheryl

Offline Cranburygal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 10 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl,

No, I don't have marriage certificates for Juliette or Helena.  I  have to go to NYC archives & look thru the early ledger books.  I believe they run from 1851 to 1861 at which time NYC adopted an alphabetical index for marriages.  None of the NY volunteers will go thru the ledger books. 

Helena's husband, Albert Huicq, died in 1872 but, unfortunately, his death certificate is one of the missing Jersey City, NJ documents that never made it to the NJ Archives in Trenton.  She remarried in 1881 & I have that document but nothing new is revealed. 

They are all buried in Weehawken, NJ cemetery.  That's the only record I have for Albert Huicq's death.   It also had his age at death so I know he was born circa 1834 in France.

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 August 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if there is a link.

In the reconstructed marriage of Paris, there is an entry for the marriage of Hippolyte LAPAILLE and Charlotte Rosalie PETEAUX, married on October 19th 1830.

Rose LAPAILLE, unknown maiden name, was born circa 1804

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MN8D-94V

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:37XJ-FQ8

Is Rosatu a misreading for Rosalie ?

A Charlotte Rosalie PETEAUX was born in Reims 7 germinal an XIII (1805) to Antoine PETEAUX, 50 years old, a merchant, and Anne MONCHAMIN (married in Reims in 1798 his parents are + Antoine PETEAUX and + Jeanne François MOCQUET and hers are + Vincent MONCHAMIN and Marguerite REVILLON DELILLE).

Anne MONCHAMIN is a native of Aussonne, Côtes d'Or. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auxonne
Birthdate 09/09/1769  Father Maïtre Vincent MONCHAMIN, notaire et procureur aux bailliage et châtellenie d'Auxonne Mother Margueritte REVILLON DELISLE

http://www.archinoe.net/console/ir_ead_visu_lien.php?m=&ir=17061&id=371859730

Frame 274/647

Godfather : George REVILLON DE LISLE, marchand de fer à Dôle, uncle, represented by François MONCHAMIN, perruquier, also an uncle of the child.
Godmother : Anne CANOT, widow of Joseph REVILLON DELISLE (he was a merchant in Auxonne), cousin

Louisa LAPAILLE, born in France circa 1790.
Could she be the paternal grandmother ?

If Hippolyte LAPAILLE was a bit younger than his wife, let's say born circa 1808, it's plausible. She could be a young aunt of Hippolyte LAPAILLE as well.

A Hippolyte LAPAILLE died in 1845 in Paris

There is an inventory after his death

Inventaire après décès : Lapaille, Hippolyte. Faubourg-Saint-Martin (rue du), n° 119.

01/DEC/1845 notaire Pierre PLANCHAT

On Geneanet : burial of Pierre Hippolyte LAPAILLE 07/JUL/1845 Saint-Laurent, Paris, Seine, France

On Ancestry
Mariages de Paris et ses environs, France, 1700 à 1907 ... Nom : Edouard Louis Lapaille. Conjoint : Joséphine Denant. Père : Pierre Hippolyte Lapaille. Mariage ...

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 February 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS31-797F-R?i=1673&cat=124051

Hippolyte LAPAILLE, peintre en décors, son of Pierre Hippolyte LAPAILLE and Aglaé Charlotte Marie FEVET

and Charlotte Rosalie PETAUX, daughter of Antoine PETAUX and Anne MONCHANIN

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 February 18 11:57 GMT (UK) »
He had a brother Edouard Louis LAPAILLE, born on March 26th 1810 in Villepreux according to his reconstructed marriage record (his mother's name is written FERET) and that's good news because they aren't natives of Paris.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS3B-K9G9-5?i=365&cat=124051

In 1837 his parents live in Chevreuse.

One of the witnesses is his uncle Claude Nicolas Silvain LAPAILLE, "perruquier", 49 years old, residing in Chevreuse

Birth record of Edouard Louis LAPAILLE

http://archives.yvelines.fr/arkotheque/visionneuse/visionneuse.php?arko=YTo2OntzOjQ6ImRhdGUiO3M6MTA6IjIwMTgtMDItMDkiO3M6MTA6InR5cGVfZm9uZHMiO3M6MTE6ImFya29fc2VyaWVsIjtzOjQ6InJlZjEiO2k6MTtzOjQ6InJlZjIiO2k6MzYzNztzOjE2OiJ2aXNpb25uZXVzZV9odG1sIjtiOjE7czoyMToidmlzaW9ubmV1c2VfaHRtbF9tb2RlIjtzOjQ6InByb2QiO30=#uielem_move=-210%2C-258&uielem_islocked=0&uielem_zoom=106&uielem_brightness=0&uielem_contrast=0&uielem_isinverted=0&uielem_rotate=F

Frame 11

Pierre Hippolyte LAPAILLE and Aglaée Charlotte Marie FERET got married on November 11th 1802 in Villepreux

See https://gw.geneanet.org/yduchateau?n=lapaille&oc=&p=pierre+hippolyte

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 February 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Louis Edouard LAPAILLE passed away in Chevreuse on August 8th 1846.

His son also named Louis Edouard LAPAILLE died in Paris (14th arrondissement) in 1880 at the age of 40 (18/MAR/1880). His mother, Joséphine DENANT is alive. He was a native of Gif-sur-Yvette.