Author Topic: Cape Town Miles Family COMPLETE  (Read 1963 times)

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Cape Town Miles Family COMPLETE
« on: Sunday 18 April 10 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I have posted once before and had a little albeit very limited success.  Thank you.

Recently i learnt that my ancester Harry Mowat H Miles ran/leased The Albion Hotel, Strand Street, Cape Town.  Would there be photos anywhere available over the net?

I wonder if his family lived in the building?  My grandmother was born there in 1891 and i would love to find something on her and her first 16 years she spent in Cape Town.

My grandmother's name is Constance Kate Miles.  Parents were Harry M H Miles and Agnes Paterson Miles (nee Ferguson).  Harry born in England; Agnes in Scotland.

Harry died in the Kimberley in 1899 and in 1907 the family returned to Melbourne, Australia, my birthplace.

Any finds very much appreciated,
Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jenimac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cape Town Miles Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 May 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie,
I have found an 1863 address for the Albion Hotel, corner of Strand Street and Long Street, Cape Town.  I am going to Cape Town next weekend and if there is still an historic looking building there, I will take a photo but when you use google earth it looks like a fairly modern building from above

Jenny

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Re: Cape Town Miles Family
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jenny.
Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline Jillyspice

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cape Town Miles Family COMPLETE
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 January 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie , I was wondering if you managed to find a photo of the Albion Hotel Cape Town?  I recently found a relative William Bean was living there just prior to his death.   On the death certificate it has address - Albion Hotel, Buitengracht Street.   William was living at the Albion until 19 July 1905 when he was admitted to the Somerset Hospital, Cape Town.

Thank you.
Jilly
South Australia