Author Topic: Marriage St Annes Church Southowram  (Read 3620 times)

Offline marilyncramp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage St Annes Church Southowram
« on: Saturday 17 April 10 06:01 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a John Grundy, father of John Grundy, husband of Mary Taylor who married in Southowram, in June 1823.
Has anybody come across these names in their searches???
regards

Marilyn

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 April 10 04:48 BST (UK) »
Am I correct in thinking that the earlier records for events at St Anne's Southowram are recorded in the parish registers of St John's Halifax and not separately?

charlotte

Offline marilyncramp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 April 10 04:57 BST (UK) »
The marriage records are located in Halifax, but both John and Mary are recorded as living in Southowram, hence the reason for my question. They were married in the Parish Church in Halifax.  It states that;

"John Grundy of Southowram, a labourer and bachelor, married Mary Taylor, also of Southowram, a spinster, on the date above, witnesses James Greenwood and John Beaver."

Any assistance???
Marilyn 

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage St Annes Church Southowram
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 April 10 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have split this off from the original topic to see if it does better on its own.  Have you found the couple in any census records?
Regards
Andrea

Offline marilyncramp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Came across this thread again - I know it has been years since it was started, but there maybe some more information out there. No sign of any of the family in any census record in England. According to his death certificate, and his obituary, he (John Grundy jnr) arrived in Australia in approx 1840. No sign of him on any ships' passenger list. And no sign of his parents or sister anywhere either....
He is the only one of my ancestors that I cannot find entering/arriving in Australia, nor leaving England for that matter.
He accomplished a lot after his arrival and has heaps of descendants.
If anybody can shed some light on this mystery, I would be very grateful.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 08:11 BST (UK) »
Just as a matter of interest, what age was John when he died?  I ask this in order to try to find his parents' marriage  :)

It is more than possible that John Grundy was baptised as a non-conformist, and those records are not so readily available as C of E records.  Prior to Civil Registration marriage had to take place in a C of E church unless you were a Jew or a Quaker.  St Anne in the Grove, Southowram did not conduct marriages until 1838, and so St John the Baptist in Halifax would be the local parish church for marriages - this map shows the connection between the two locations.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=14&lat=53.7199&lon=-1.8459&layers=6&right=BingHyb

I see that John nearly married someone else  :o  Banns were read 8, 15 and 22 November 1822 for John Grundy, Labourer, and Ann Wadsworth, spinster, both of Southowram.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline marilyncramp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
That is my whole problem. As far as my records go (and any others I have searched) John Grundy, his wife Mary (Taylor) their daughter Hannah (born approx 1824) and my John Grundy (1826 - 1910) disappear from British records after John's birth.

John jnr re-appears as walking in approx 1840 from Circular quay (Sydney - where the ships came in) to Campbelltown (approx 62 klms away using today's roads - probably a lot further in 1840).

There appear to have been a lot of John Grundy's around in the ear;y 1800's - both in Britain and in Australia.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
Uhmmmm!  I can see Hannah's baptism - 16 March 1824 - but nothing for John Jr.  I did check the baptism entries for St Anne in Southowram as well as St John in Halifax, plus the BTs for Yorkshire.  :-\

I'm assuming that John Jr's walk from Circular Quay (very evocative place) at the age of around 14, was a solo walk  :-\

Sorry, not being much help, am I?  :'(
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline marilyncramp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
I do not know if it was a solo walk, but he is the only person mentioned in that walk.
No John Grundy convicts  fit either John Grundy Snr nor John Grundy Jnr - wrong age, wrong place of origin, wrong occupation... As I said it is a mystery.
They (the whole family) seem to disappear for 14 years - all of them.
And yes, you are a help as you are looking at this puzzle through a different set of eyes...