Author Topic: Davis Family From Cavan  (Read 24190 times)

Offline Hugh

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Davis Family From Cavan
« on: Tuesday 18 May 04 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi    My ancestors came to New York USA from or around Killashandra,  County Cavan in June 1819.  They continued on to York (now Toronto) Ontario , Upper Canada.  In May 1820 they were granted land in Middlesex County, Upper Canada.  There names were Hugh Davis,& Catherine Murphy. Their children were named Robert, Joseph, and Hugh.I do not know the name of the daughter.  I am most interested in finding any relatives still in Ireland and I would be only too happy to tell you about our family since 1819..                 Hugh
Davis, Monteith, Pardy, Hall, Chatrand, Watt, Morrison, Schram, Faircloth, Hogg

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Davis Family From Cavan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 December 04 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have a copy of my x3 great Uncle, William Magee (of Tully House, Killishandra, Cavan). In it he refers to his Aunt Mary Davis and his cousins Eliza Davis and Robert Davis. I am assuming that Aunt Mary is William's father's sister (he was Charles Magee). William Magee's dates are: 1815 - 1878. His father, Charles died 1848.

The will states that they (the Davis's) reside in Loughen, Cavan.

This is all I know of them ... have you seen anything in your research to connect them to you? Have you seen their names?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 May 12 17:42 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately Hugh posted the original message in 2004 but hasn't been online since.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 May 12 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you, aghadowey ... I had a feeling that was going to be the case :o(

Offline lucille2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 01:08 BST (UK) »
I have Davis in my family from Cavan. 4 brothers, George, John, Robert and Richard. I also have a photo of a Davis house in Cavan, quite a large house. George and his wife Jane Boyd came to  Canada.  In a letter from a Davis relative it says "The older members of the family had most of them emigrated and when the younger ones were asked to go also, my grandmother declared she would go too, if all her children were going. They came to Quebec and a few years later to Toronto." I believe they came anywhere from 1820's to 1845. Don't know if your Davis' are related??

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 04:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucille

I know so little about my Davis's, just what I have in the will. Mary Davis, nee Magee, would have been born circa 1770's and her children born circa 1810's. Robert does not appear to be a Magee name, so I assume that the husband of Mary Davis nee Magee, would have been Robert.

Quite possible there is a relationship, but would take much more research.

Any mention I  your family writings of family with the name Magee, Mcbride or Berry  (These are the families that my Magee sisters married into), or a farmhouse named Tully House?

Based on the date of the will, my Davis cousins were still in Cavan in the 1870's - 80's

regards
Jenni

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Although I don't have any information on the Davis family, I found a link for an old newspaper article which mentions the death of:
MAGER. – Feb. 10th, at Tully House, Killeshandra, William Magee, Esq., aged 63 years, deeply and deservedly regretted.
The link is:

http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Cavan/1878/FEB.html
I do remember when my father was alive he mentioned a bit about the Magee family from Killeshandra, I think the name he mentioned was Henry Magee, my father lived in Killeshandra up until 1951.

Margaret

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Margaret

Yes, that's my great ... Uncle :o)   I'm excited to 'meet' someone who knows about my old family home. The McHugh family bought it from my Uncle Charles James Douglas, who was a family doctor. CJ's mother was Eliza Douglas nee Magee, sister of William Magee who's death notice you shared.

Would you be able to share any stories that you recall from your dad? I know that my Magee's were Presbyterian. You could send me a note via inbox.

We've been able to visit Tully House a few times, as the McHugh's have been so gracious in allowing us to come.

Jenni