Author Topic: Davis Family From Cavan  (Read 24216 times)

Offline NKDAVIS63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davis Family From Cavan
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 02:52 BST (UK) »
he's my several times removed now grate grand father.
settled in st maries (near London Ontario Canada). (most of our cousins still live there.)
in 1836ish.  his son Robert tried several times to over though Canada, his book was used as the foundation of canada's constitution by his close friend and revolutionary William lion Mackenzie.
this is robert davis's webpage... created by the government of canada.
http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/davis_robert_7E.html.

i found it amusing to find another family with it's head hugh in caven around the same time as my family's  :).  would be interesting to see if there is a related blood line there.   your's hugh could be mine's name sake from a brother or cousin or something.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 August 14 12:50 BST (UK) »
I've accidentally come across this page whilst researching my own (different) MacKenzie line.

I found it amusing to see the typo slip of "Lion" instead of the correct spelling of "Lyon", which I'm used to seeing as our own Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, was a Bowes-Lyon.

Good luck with your research.

Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 October 14 06:13 BST (UK) »
hi lucille2

I'm looking at the Davis family again. Do you know where in Cavan your Davis's came from?  Any town / townland named?

Jenni

Offline peter upton-davis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 October 14 06:46 BST (UK) »
My Hugh Davis came from Killashandra but also was at some time in Derry Lane. Hughs sister Eliza (Armstrong) Thomas lived at Fermanagh for a time before emigrating to Australia, his brother Thomas stayed at Killashandra & other sister Margaret (Naylor) at Arvagh.
Hope this assists
peter

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 October 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

I just responded to your note you left me on IrelandXO ... did you see it yet?

I'm curious if Lucille may also have our place names that could help tie her in as well, hopefully  she will get back to us.

Jenni :D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 13 October 14 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hullo jen where are you I am presuming Ireland but it was not clear from the correspondence. I live in Western Australia, but born in Sydney NSW where the Davis's emigrated to in late 1840's & early 1850's. I have Armstrong, Dobson, Naylor & Moxham all from Northern Ireland & usually Presbyterian associated with the Davis family.
I have Longford, Cavan, Derry Lane, Killyshandra, Creevagh Beg Ballymahon, Loughtree, Arvagh all mentioned in articles that i have found about my Davis family.
look forward to hearing more from you Jenni
peter

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 13 October 14 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

I'm in USA, via South Africa. My Douglas ancestor settled there, from Killeshandra late 1800 & a 100 years later we were on the move again.

I relooked at my Uncle William Magee's will (from 1873): he names his cousin Robert Davis of Laghan, County Cavan & his cousin Eliza Davis now residing in Laghan. A little later he names is AUNT Mary Davis of Laheen, County Cavan. I had assumed there was inconsistant spelling of the place names .... now I wonder.
Your IrelandXO note mentioned the 1841 census and Davis's in Laheen and there we find Thomas Davis with his wife Mary Davis.

My   assumption/guess has been that since she is named his (William Magee's) Aunt, that she is the sister of his father Charles Magee. You can find Charles Magee and his family in the 1841 census as well (Living in Tully). You will note that there is a large age difference of 41 years. However Margaret, Charle's wife would have a 23 year age gap with Mary. So if we have a match, then Mary Davis may rather be Margaret's sister ... the 23 year age gap is more reasonable.

If this is the case, then the mother-in-law listed on this 1841 census will be the mother of both Mary Davis and my Margaret Magee (wife of Charles Magee, my x4 great -gradnparents). And living next door or near to is Agnes Davis who has her grandson Thomas NAYLOR with her. Is she Thomas's mother? If so, then the person who made this post says that Agnes's husband was Robert Davis: http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/FERMANAGH-GOLD/2014-05/1399177282

Next ... Did Mary Davis marry her cousin Thomas Davis? Mother-in-law is Jane Davis ... was this an error when noting the last name in the census, or was Jane Davis really Jane Davis maiden name unknown? Does anyone have earlier knowledge of this Davis cluster in Tullyhunco to confirm?

I've chatted with my mom, and we thank you as I do think that this Mary Davis must be the family I was looking for. Now that I realize that there is a place named Laheen (separate from Laghan / Loughen), and the same name/place is used in William Magee's will, then its hard to argue otherwise!

I hope that I am helping you as much as you have helped me today!!

What are your thoughts?

AND, yes, the Magee Family was Presbytarian. In the 1841 census you will see Rev Sweeney with the Magee family ... no too long after, later he marries the three Magee sisters. This is likely their church: http://www.iol.ie/~galwill/histpres.htm  Part way down you will find a little about him.
I wish that I could find birth record for this church etc  ;o(

Jenni

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 October 14 02:39 BST (UK) »
And .. looking at the names of Charles and Margaret Magee's girls we have:
Eliza Magee (my x3 G Grandmother), then MARY JANE Magee and then Margaret Magee

My bet is that Mary Jane is named after her mother's side .... sister Mary and mother Jane?
That would mean that the mother of my Charles is likely Eliza (or Elizabeth). Do you know about the Irish - Scot naming patterns?

Jenni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 13 October 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Wow theres a lot to digest in that isnt there?
I will sit down 7 do my best to put the pieces together but I think we are getting very close to tying this up, its made my day. I will write in the next couple of days but its looking good, all the best
peter