Author Topic: Davis Family From Cavan  (Read 24168 times)

Offline peter upton-davis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Davis Family From Cavan
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 11:47 BST (UK) »
Jenni Agnes davis nee Armstrong was married to Robert Davis, & Thomas davis living nearby is her son
peter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 11:53 BST (UK) »
also Agnes Davis & Jane Davis are both from Fermanagh  & both married in 1793

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Anything to show how Robert Davis fits in with the other Davis's in the area? And anything to indicate who's Jane Davis was married to?
The 1841 census shows that Jane Davis was from Cavan, so I'm curious about her being from Fermanagh?

Somewhere, somehow she seems to be the key to connecting my family with the Davis's so thank you for any help you can give.

Jenni

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
Ok, I see that the original 1841 census has jane from Fermanagh, so a transcription error. Humm, that is not helping to solve my puzzle ... How is Mary Davis an Aunt to my Magees? Could Thomas be the brother if my Margaret? Do you have any Davis Magee marriages in your records?

Jenni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 16 October 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi jenni, my hypothesis on our family puzzle is this
thomas davis married mary magee & she is the (aunt) mary davis named in the will, one of their sons was  robert (cousin) & the other cousin was eliza who is the unnamed female infant in the census.
With regard to jane davis the mother in law one possibility is that if the census taker may have assumed that jane was a davis when she may in fact may have been a magee, unlikely but a possibility.
Until we corresponded I was unaware of the possibility of there  being a davis/magee connection 

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 17 October 14 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter  :o)

Bear with me please ....

Per the 1841 census, Charles Magee (Husband of Margaret ) was born abt 1774.  Jane Davis was born abt 1768.

If Jane is both the mother of Charles Magee and Mary  Davis, then we have a problem with the ages of Charles and Jane (6 year age difference). She can't be the biological mother of Charles. Granted Charle's father ( who was James Magee), could have married twice and had Mary Davis by his 2nd wife (possibly Jane Davis). I'm inclined to think this is  not the case. The age gap between Mary and Charles (if they are siblings) is 41 years. I do know that Charles had at least one other sibling who as James Magee jr. That means he was likely older than Charles, so we can guess an age difference then of perhaps 43 years with James jr and Mary Davis. Assuming James sr was about 23 -25 years when he married, then we can guess his birth date as circa 1749.
IF Mary is his daughter from a 2nd marriage, then he would have been about 66 years when she was born. Again, not impossible, but I'm thinking not likely?

Am I making sense?

That puts me back to Margaret Magee ... maiden name to be determined, wife of Charles Magee and mother of William Magee who names Aunt Mary etc.   The 1841 census shows that she was born abt. 1792 /3 in Cavan.   
(1)Thomas Davis was born abt 1797 ... a more realistic age difference IF they are siblings. Thomas's wife Mary would certainly still be an Aunt to the Magee's
(2) Mary Davis was born abt 1815 making her 23 years younger than Margaret. IF they are siblings, this age gap is big but not unheard of (have a few of these in my tree).

I really think that the key lies with Margaret ... who's sibling is she? Is her age  listed correctly on the census (something that was not very accurate back then) .. she was born close, it seems, to the marriage date of Agnes & Robert Davis... Does that cancel her out, then, to be their daughter?  I do wish that we had headstone or SOMETHING to help us out with this!

Does this change your hypothesis?

jenni

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 18 October 14 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

What do you know of this Davis Family ... they appear to be related to Thomas? Perhaps the father Henry is Robert (Husband of Agnes) Davis's brother. The names of the daughters interest me as the names are the names given to my Magee Sisters.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1841/Cavan/Tullyhunco/Killashandra/Derrylane/4/

Jenni

Offline Marilyn Davis

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 January 15 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Just wanted to get back to the 1st post about Hugh Davis & Catherine Murphy.   As mentioned, our ancestors came to New York USA from or around Killashandra,  County Cavan in June 1819.  They continued on to York (now Toronto) Ontario , Upper Canada.  In May 1820 they were granted land in Middlesex County, Upper Canada.  There names were Hugh Davis,& Catherine Murphy. Their children were named Robert, Joseph, and Hugh and Margaret Ann.   Unfortunately we don't know any more than that.  So not sure if they have siblings in Ireland or if they emigrated with other family members.    Not even sure about their date of birth.    Any help or leads would be appreciated.
Thanks, Marilyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 11 January 15 02:29 GMT (UK) »
hullo marilyn the names of your davis ancestors are very consistent with my family line so there appears to be some relationship. My earliest identified davis was robert probably born around the mid 1770s who married agnes armstrong born around 1765. their children were Margaret born 1793, Hugh 1795 (my ancestor), Thomas 1797 & Eliza 1804.
In the 1796 Irish flaxgrowers list Joseph, Robert & Henry Davis are listed for Killashandra, so Joseph was also a davis name & the family seemed to stay close together. There is not a lot of information prior to the 1841 census so it is difficult to identify particular people.
My best guess is that your hugh davis may have been a brother, cousin or nephe of my robert davis but we lack critical connecting information.
Good luck let me know if you have any more luck
peter