Author Topic: Microfiche printed out cheap?  (Read 11043 times)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Microfiche printed out cheap?
« on: Tuesday 20 April 10 11:10 BST (UK) »
Does any one know how & where to get microfiche printed on to paper or CD cheaply?
I have some and as my reader has blown up( I don't want another one either ) i was wondering if there is a cheap way round my problem?
I have tried my local library and they want to charge me 50p an image/page. Which would coast me a small fortune and as i would only be using them to do look ups for people, it is an expense i am not willing to take on.

Migky  ;)

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Microfiche printed out cheap?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
If you have the actual fiche and you know of a friend who has a reader, why not take a photograph of the image?
(I use that method to transfer records across the globe.)
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian, it is something to look in to. Tell me how good do the images come out?
I know it will depend on the viewer but might give it a try.
Migky  ;)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
I've never managed to get a decent picture of a fiche viewer screen. Might be my primitive digital camera but the light from the viewer seems to produce a lot of glare..... How do you do it Brian?
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 12:57 BST (UK) »
My local library has a top notch one (viewer that is) and have said i can do as Brian surgested, but still wonder how could the quality would be or am i going to have that same problems  as Angela ?

Migky  ;)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 13:00 BST (UK) »
I had a play around in my library with putting cloths over the viewer and things like that and it improved things a bit but I'm hoping Brian has a secret technique he's willing to share....  ;D

A possible alternative, but much more expensive of course, is a USB microscope. There was a chap on the Yahoo Somerset Hundreds group the other day who's got one on offer from AS*A and said it was much better at getting an image off a fiche than trying to scan it. It only does one at a time though.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the tip but as i am not looking to spend much on this project, as it will only benefit people i will be doing look ups for and not my self. I would be better off keeping me pennies for they wild card BMD's i need to buy to eliminate them from the two people i am searching for. Once i have those two people i have completed what i set out to find.
Good tip for any one wanting to try it.
Migky  ;)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 13:11 BST (UK) »
Seems sensible to me  ;D  I'm trying to decide if I can possibly justify the cost - nice toy  ::)

If Brian can come up with a way of getting good photos though, that would be terrific  ;)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 April 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
I know it seems such a wast to have all those records on microfiche and nothing to view them on. I like to convert all my records to PDF and pop on CD/DVD.
Plus a viewer takes up so much room too.
Migky  ;)