Author Topic: SA death lookup - Charles Henry MOTLEY -COMPLETED  (Read 7251 times)

Offline char90

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SA death lookup - Charles Henry MOTLEY -COMPLETED
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 July 17 06:49 BST (UK) »
Livia I am unable to reply through personal message. If you have Facebook, feel free to add me and contact me through there!
My names Charlotte Motley, I'm 21 and am in Melbourne Australia, hopefully you can find me with that information.

Henry is my great grandfather. Once he moved to South Australia he married Stella Thouliss and had two children, Neil Charles Motley is my grandfather and he passed away 10 years ago at 58years old.
If you have any issues in contacting me please let me know. I'd like to chat further with you.

Offline char90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 July 17 06:56 BST (UK) »
And yes you are right. There is Henry Charles and then Henry Charles jr who is my greatgrandfather. His son is Neil Charles, my grandpa

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SA death lookup - Charles Henry MOTLEY
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 July 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
PS - on Hannah Motley's death entry, can you tell me what 'DH' means? Both her son and her late husband were Charles Henry

DH = Deceased Husband

Symbol H = Died in hospital

On Charles's:

Status M = Married

Symbol I = Died in an Institution (that could be a aged care or the likes also)

The above explanation is incorrect.  Symbol I on death certificates in South Australia indicates.....

I. Indefinite Death Date Registered such as about 16 Jan 1934.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36471852
The Advertiser 19 Jan 1934
Man Found Dead In Hills Identified
The man who was found dead on Wednesday at Springbank, has been identified as Charles Motley, 60, unemployed laborer, of Kingston avenue, Mitcham Park. It is said that he left home on Saturday evening with the intention of walking to the Murray in search of work. An inquest will be held at 2.30 pm. on Tuesday by the City Coroner (Mr. Blackburn).

I suggest you search TROVE http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/ using "Charles Motley" and "Charles Henry Motley"....a number of court appearances.  Not a happy household.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article209882809
The Express and Telegraph Adelaide 7 Jan  1909
....... Charles Motley, of Adelaide, bird-dealer, was summoned to show cause why he should not contribute towards the support of his three children. Hannah Motley, of Sturt-street said she left the defendant about ten weeks ago, because he abused her and was drinking. She asked for 10/ per week towards the support of the children. The defendant said he was willing to pay the amount asked for, and to take his wife home again it she would go. The bench made an order for the payment of 10/ per week.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 July 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
The South Australian Police Gazette  29 Nov 1922  Page 361
WARRANTS ISSUED.
A warrant has been issued at Adelaide for the arrest of CHARLES MOTLEY, described as poultry dresser and labourer, 49 years of age, 5 ft 5 in high, dark hair (turning grey), bluish grey eyes, ordinary nose, medium build, scar on chin; charged that on the 10th Nov 1922, at Adelaide, he did violently and maliciously declare and threaten one HANNAH ELEANOR MOTLEY.  He is therefore to be arrested and brought before the Police Court, Adelaide, to be further dealt with according to the law.  Warrant filed at Criminal Investigation Branch, Adelaide.

The South Australian Police Gazette  29 Jan 1934
INQUESTS
Adelaide - On 23 January 1934, on the body of CHARLES MOTLEY, aged 60 years late of No 62 Kingston Avenue, Mitcham Park, labourer. 
Verdict -  "I find that Charles Motley, 60 years late of 62, Kingston Avenue, Mitcham Park, came to his death at Springbank on or about 16 January 1934, from general exhaustion."

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 July 17 12:52 BST (UK) »
And this appears to be Charles Henry's son born 1902 SA and died Armadale, Victoria in 1966 and there are a number of articles about him and his then wife Gertrude Margaret ENRIGHT on TROVE.

The South Australian Police Gazette 26 Jun 1935 Page 254
A warrant in the first instance has been issued for CHARLES HENRY MOTLEY, described as a native of South Australia, born 1902, 5 ft 9 in high, slight build, fair complexion and hair, brown eyes; charged that is a near relative within the meaning of the Maintenance Act 1926, of John Henry Motley aged 11 years or thereabout, and he is able to pay for the past and future maintenance of the said child.  He is therefore to be brought before the Police Court, Adelaide. Warrant filed at C I Branch, Adelaide.

Birth
MOTLEY Jack Henry
28 May 1923
Father Charles Henry MOTLEY   Mother Gertrude Margaret ENRIGHT
At Adelaide  Ade 115A/485A

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 05:26 BST (UK) »
Henry is my great grandfather. Once he moved to South Australia he married Stella Thouliss and had two children, Neil Charles Motley is my grandfather and he passed away 10 years ago at 58years old.

Did Charles Henry Jr divorce his first wife whom he married in 1920 in South Australia?

Stella Alice Margaret THOULISS was born in 1911 at Quambatook and lived at Wycheproof. She is enrolled to vote at several addresses using her maiden name up to the time of her death.  It appears they did not marry possibly as Charles Henry's legal wife, Gertrude Margaret ENRIGHT was still alive in South Australia.  She died in 1978 and is buried at Enfield Memorial Park.
http://www.aca.sa.gov.au/Records

Australian Electoral Roll
MOTLEY Charles Henry  Riverbank, Swan Hill.   Labourer
THOULISS Stella Alice  15 Sutheland Street, Carnegie North  HD

MOTLEY Charles Henry 119 Napier Street, Fitzroy  Labourer

1949, 1954
MOTLEY Charles Henry 42 Osborne Street, South Yarra  Labourer
THOULISS Stella Alice  42 Osborne Street, South Yarra  Cleaner

MOTLEY Charles Henry  45 Peel Street, Prahran  Nil occupation
THOULISS Stella Alice M  45 Peel Street, Prahran  HD

Stella's death registered as MOTLEY but burial record in the name of THOULISS

Fawkner Memorial Park
THOULISS    Stella Alice M   Cremation   Service date 16 Sep 1966   

Charles Henry's burial record at Springvale Botanical Cemetery
http://smct.org.au/deceasedsearch/result/312048

Neil Charles MOTLEY's burial record shows his birth as 25 Jun 1949.
http://www.gmct.com.au/deceased-search.aspx

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 05:31 BST (UK) »
I thought much of this research was familiar

Previous relevant thread
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=342861.0

Cando

Offline char90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
Henry (Mick) never did marry Stella although she was known as his wife.
May I ask. Who you are and how you know this information about my family?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there char90,

Welcome to RootsChat, a great place to receive help from experienced volunteers looking up their offline resources (often collected to assist when researching their own family) to share sightings with other RChatters seeking help.

If you click on the live link that Cando posted (reply #24) you can read through a thread from 2008 that Livia commenced about Hannah Eleanora Motley nee Madison.  You will see some of the responses there were from Cando, and various other regulars. 

PS Here's a live link to the RChat Resources Board for Australia, with sub-boards for each state/territory, loads of links to free to search online resources

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/australia-resources-offers/

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.