Author Topic: Help needed,says he's 'born in England'  (Read 6034 times)

Offline Numan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed,says he's 'born in England'
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 17:30 BST (UK) »
yes, beaver co Courthouse has marriage records 1886-present (but they couldn't find Hannah's second marriage to McClure in 1897)

births & deaths   1893-1906
   after 1906 B&D records are in New Castle.

I've been recently advised by an online PA fellow genealogy 'junkie' to try the History center in Beaver Falls-they might have something.
  The same man says church records before those dates are really all PA has to offer.
    he's going to Freedom in June, and might have time to do a little more looking for me.
   There was a report of a naturlization record for a Nicholas Banfield age 37 in 1867, but I sent for the document anyway-I was told that I wrote to the wrong place.
  i haven't found a new place to send for it yet!
   this has definitely been a tuff one!
It seems like what's real and true I can verify easily...and then it all comes to a standstill.
  Thank-you all, for all your help-as you know, every little bit does help.

Banfield,Courtney,Bangor,Bubbs

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Cameron County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has Court Records from 1863 and is located at Cameron County Courthouse, 20 East Fifth Street, Emporium, PA 15834; (814) 486-3355 .

The prothonotary has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records. Other court records are with the clerk of courts

Cameron County is not adjacent to Beaver though

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Regarding your question as to whether Nicholas could have been Welsh; the English and Welsh Births, Deaths and Marriages from 1837 are all together (on  Freebdm and at the General Register Office) and the English and Welsh census records are also together on sites like Ancestry etc. so from that point of view, it makes no difference whether he was born in England or Wales.  The Scottish records are on Scotlands People.  However, someone born in Scotland or Wales would never knowingly put England down as his birthplace.

The Irish records are fairly sparse and difficult to access and virtually no census returns nor official BMD's exist for the date you want.  Tracing much more about Annie will be well nigh impossible I should think.  All of us with Irish ancestors are in the same position  :'(
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Numan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
  Thanks, all of you so much for all the feed-back.it is just so nice sometimes to hear any ideas.
    As far as Nicholas being from other than England:
 I thought maybe if someone who didn't understand, was giving the details for the census, and heard he came from 'Great Britain',- well, they may have mistakenly said England...

About the Cameron County not bordering Beaver Co- a short (weeks ago) while ,
  ...that man from wesrtern PA had sent me a site that had all the addresses/tel #'s of all PA's courthouses. 
   My plan is to start with Beaver again (mabe they missed something), and call and write to all the bordering ourthouses, (but including Cameron CO, as it seems to have had a lot of activity those years) and just seek out any and all documents I can get on any of my mystery people.
   I just haven't started working on it yet-a few other things came up in my life that interrupted my genealogy search-you know, appt's, grandchildren, shopping, etc...hahaha!

Also like I said, that History center is worth a try too.  The list of offices and what records they have was sent to me in 2005, for Beaver County, and there is also a Prothonotary on that list.  But if I remember correctly, I still had to go thru her at the Register of wills office, and she would help me or direct me further.
   I am not going to give up, that is probably all I know for sure.
  Thanks for the advice about how difficult it might be to nail down Hannah in Ireland, as well.  it's best to realize that even if I find her entry port, and emigration port, the search still might not get any easier.
   I have also tried to look into the 'inlaw' surnames, as they may have our family surnames in their tree. 
  I'm waiting  to hear from my cousin in PA, who is going to give it another shot and see if our one last Aunt can remember anything else-bless her heart, she's lost all her 5 sisters (including mine and my cousin's mothers), and she's still letting us bug her about the past.
  again, thanks----

Banfield,Courtney,Bangor,Bubbs

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am at present researching the Banfield family   There are Nicholas Banfield`s  included in this tree.  Also a Nicholas Oates Banfield     The familys came from Cornwall and in 1881 came to the Rhondda Valley Penrhiwfer Glamorgan to live.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html
 - in the 1870 census there is a Nicholas "Banefield", 26, a coal digger b. England, in "Lower Turkeyfoot, Somerset, Pennsylvania"

This was their occupation   Coal miners  Name is Banfield  lots of Miners emigrated to Pennsylvania

Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall