Author Topic: Samuel Nelson + Harriet Lucinda Purdy  (Read 2768 times)

Offline eileen?

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Nelson + Harriet Lucinda Purdy
« on: Wednesday 21 April 10 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I'm looking  for guidance on where to search next for info on Samuel Nelson's family.

The information I have so far:
Samuel Nelson married Harriet Lucinda Purdy  in Belfast 1892 (I have ordered this marriage cert but no sign of it yet) I have Harriets year of birth 1870 born in Banbridge, Ulster.

1901 census of Scotland I found him age 35,living in Muirhead Street, civil parish of Govan, Lanarkshire, with his wife Harriet age 32, and 3 children, Richard 7, Samuel 5 and David 10 months.  All listed as born in Ulster. Samuel's occupation is listed as 'Miller'

I'm unable to find any record of them returning to Ulster and would appreciate advice on what records to search  in Scotland for them.

Thanks
eileen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Nelson + Harriet Lucinda Purdy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 16:51 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have all these details but IGI has extracted record (almost certainly from a church baptism as birth certificates do not list religion)-
Harriet Lucinda PURDY born 20 June 1870 Presbyterian, Dromara, Down, Ireland. Parents- James Purdy and E. McMahon.

'Recent' information (such as birth, marriage and death records, 1911 Scottish census) are not available online. Have you any reason to suspect they left Scotland? It might be worth checking Scotland's People indexes for them.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eileen?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 17:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.

As I could'nt  find anything on them after1892 in Ireland I turned my attention to Scotland and struck gold with the 1901 census. I really don't know anything later than that.
With the names and age of the 3 children I  have narrowed my search for their births to  3 entries on family search - all born in Banbridge.  I will order their certs in the hope that they are the right ones.

I do have the names of Harriets parents and grandparents but its Samuel's that I'm having trouble with.  Hopefully, the marriage cert will give lots of info.

I'll try scotlands people and hopefully I'll find something - anything.

Thanks so much for your help
eileen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 18:25 BST (UK) »
Irish marriage certificates only list name and occupation of fathers so that may not be enough to find a record of Samuel's birth since you won't be able to check mother's name (and address on marriage cert. is residence of bride and groom at time of marriage which may not be where parents lived).

Offline eileen?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 23:05 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, you will not believe this but I've struck gold again.
Thank you so much for refering me to scotlands people.
I've now found death certs for Samuel and Harriet.
Samuels cert lists his father's name and his mother's maiden name - John Nelson, weaver - mother Jane Carr.
I'm surprised that Harriet's cert gives her maiden name and her mothers maiden name - Mc Mahon. As their son Richard was the informant for both deaths it lists his address also. I can now date them in Glasgow circa 1947.
Richard (son) was living in Kennedy Street Glasgow and his parents lived in Parliamentary Street in 1947, I wonder if those streets still exist?

Again, thank you so much
eileen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 April 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
This must be your lucky day. IGI has Samuel's birth-
Samuel NELSON born 27 July 1868 Co.Down, Ireland. Parents John Nelson and Jane Carr.
Also possible siblings-
1. Thomas NELSON born 4 Apr.1864 Annahilt, Co.Down (page 696 in civil register). Parents John Nelson and Jane Kerr.
2, David NELSON born 9 June 1873 Co.Down. Parents John Nelson and Jane Carr.

Try using Googlestreetview to see if streets still exist and what they look like now.

Offline eileen?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 April 10 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information, this gives me something to work on. I will get the certs from GRO.

Thanks again
eileen

Offline eileen?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 November 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
A big THANK YOU to all.

Update

I've finally put a huge dent in the brick wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've found branches in Ireland, Australia, USA and NZ and all with snippets of information/clues. 

Without help from Rootschat this would not have been possible.

THANK YOU
eileen

Offline Daniel Ryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 April 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if you came across Samuel Nelson from Lanarkshire Scotland whose mother was married 3 times and he had a 1/2 brother Robert McGregor. Samuel was a naval man and married a lass from Malta. Robert emigrated to Australia with his family in 1962. They also had a sister Mildred. Hope you can help Regards Dan Ryan. Australia. p.s Samuel's mothers maiden name was Attwood