Author Topic: New Zealand gold rushes *COMPLETED*  (Read 1878 times)

Offline 301djd43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Zealand gold rushes *COMPLETED*
« on: Thursday 22 April 10 02:06 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the 19th century New Zealand gold rushes as part of my doctoral dissertation, and I am currently tracking down letters, diaries, and memoirs held in private hands that were written by miners.  If you have any material/ information by or about your ancestors you wouldn't mind sharing, I can be reached at (*).  In exchange, I'd be more than happy to send your way any info I might find about your ancestors.  I have copies of around 10,000 miner's rights, cemetery and marriage records, and several administrative sources that list miners, including business and mining institute ledgers, library lending records, police gazettes, etc., many of which are not very genealogist user-friendly, but I am compiling in an easily searched database.

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline percy porter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Alan NZ
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand gold rushes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 10 02:08 BST (UK) »
I suggest you post this on  the NZ thread or wait till one of the moderators shift it for you.

Alan NZ

Ps
I suggest you remove your e-mail  address as well and rely on the PM system. (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: now moved to the NZ board
Britton:Hawkins: London
Stephenson: Cox: London
Straughan: Sweeney: Newcastle/Durham
Liddell: Hobson:Newcastle/Durham
Horne:Oxfordshire/ Bienfait/Winnipeg
Voss: Dorset

Offline 301djd43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Zealand gold rushes
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 April 10 03:38 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the 19th century New Zealand gold rushes as part of my doctoral dissertation, and I am currently tracking down letters, diaries, and memoirs held in private hands that were written by miners.  If you have any material/ information by or about your ancestors you wouldn't mind sharing, please contact me.  In exchange, I'd be more than happy to send your way any info I might find about your ancestors.  I have copies of around 10,000 mining rights, cemetery and marriage records, and several administrative sources that list miners, including business and mining institute ledgers, library lending records, police gazettes, etc., many of which are not very genealogist user-friendly, but I am compiling in an easily searchable database.

Best,
Dan

Moderator Comment: topics merged

PS The Otago Daily Times ran an article recently about my research if you're interested:  http://www.odt.co.nz/on-campus/university-otago/101547/gold-rush-placed-its-global-context

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 April 10 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan,

It sounds like marvellous work you are doing. :)

I wish you all the best with it.

Leandra
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 April 10 17:59 BST (UK) »
Have you seen Kae's site
http://www.kaelewis.com/ on miners righting, goldrushes etc?

If you have any information related specifically to Thames, or in the future when you get to publish phaase, I'm sure The Treasury in Thames would be interested in a copy
http://www.thetreasury.org.nz/index.htm

Bye
Althea

Offline SPC

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 April 10 09:38 BST (UK) »
Dan,

In case you are not already aware, there is a small number of diaries and reminiscences of miners held at the Auckland Museum library.

Simon
CROCKETT / CROCKET
WAITE