Author Topic: Margaret Montgomery,Mrs T Mackay,Lairg.  (Read 9426 times)

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Margaret Montgomery,Mrs T Mackay,Lairg.
« on: Thursday 22 April 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
From an online book I have found that a possible ancestor Margaret Montgomery was married to the local minister in Lairg. He was Thomas Mackay said to be her cousin. Margaret died 1773.
His father John Mackay whom he seems to have suceeded as minister in Lairg died in 1803 aged 86.
Any one have info on this lady ? Her father and brother were named John.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Mackenzie ,MacLeod,McLeod,Milne,Montgomery,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Shields,Sim,Sowden, Stoddart,
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Montgomery,Mrs T Mackay,Lairg.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 April 10 21:59 BST (UK) »
They were members of the Scourie Mackay family, and there is a lot of information about them on line. I suggest you  google search under "John Mackay, minister, Lairg".

Also, if you have access to "The Book of Mackay", you can read about them on pages 294; 295; & 296.

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 April 10 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks,Ian.
I am attempting to find Margaret's Montgomery family .Her father is styled
John Montgomery " of Ferindonald" .
My g.g.grandfather John Ross married Helen dtr of John Montgomery He would have been born about 1720.
An old family letter talks of a Margaret Montgomery dtr of the Fuer of Tarlogie so they were
thicker on the ground than I had supposed !

Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 April 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Fransmoi,

Was the online book "The History of the House and Clan of Mackay", by Robert mackay ?

If it was, did you read pages 564/5 and 573?  While these state Margaret's grandfather and great-grandfather, they do not appear to be in the same line, the former being a Fearn (of Tarlogie) and the latter a Mackay (of Kirtomy)

IanB
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 April 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks again,Ian, for nudging me nearer my goal which is to identify this lady.
A letter home from Rev.Gustavos Aird Sim in Malta  1916  talks of Dr Gustavos Aird's letter which tells that in 1758 a Margaret Montgomery -daughter of John Montgomery and granddaughter of Fearn of Tarlogie -was married.
I have checked and 1758 was indeed when the Margaret we seek married Rev Thomas Mackay.This ties in nicelywith your info. Also that her great grandfather was a Mackay fits with her having married a cousin.

Rev Aird writes also that "our great great grandfather's daughter also named Margaret Montgomery married Captain George Munro of Culrain."
She is our line and married in 1792.
Her father was John Montgomery ,Millmount House,Milntown, Kilmuir Easter.So who was the Fearn of Tarlogie  or should it read feuar ?

The Online book I found was "The Life of Lieut.General Hugh Mackay of Scoury" by John Mackay of Rockfield who was himself a descendant.
Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 May 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Margaret Montgomery Graveston in Lairg Cemetery

Sorry struggled to read it

To the memory of The Rev Thomas MacKay, eldest son of the Rev J MacKay, 55 years Minister of Lairg. A man of grave deportment and venerable ? of a professional Minister…a pious and virtuous heart. Firmly established in? Of the Gospel. He was zealous in defending its doctrine and indefatigable in discharging his duties. As a ? he enlightened ? Profound as a preacher and a correct & impressive as a man, revered as a Minister. The Physician, the friend and father of his people. His professions were sincere. His friendships select. His attachments…..He was born in 1717. In 1758 he married Mrs Margaret Montgomery, a woman of singular meekness, sincerity & piety who died in 1773. And he departed this life in 1803.
To the memory of Hugh MacKay 2nd son of the late Rev T MacKay. Captain in the 4th Reg Madras Cavalry and a Commissary to the staff of the Army. He was born in 1763 and having served his country 24 years he fell in the ?of Victory at the muzzle of the enemys gun in the memorable Battle of Assaye, fought between Gen Wellesey and the Mahrattas 23rd Sep 1803. Elegance with manliness in external form. In him were united form; Kindness with heroism, extensive munificence with rigid integrity as a son, brother, relative and friend. He was attached with discriminating tenderness & constancy in ….intrepid, skilful, humane. In business, prompt, judicious, decided & scrupulously faithful to a trust  presenting strong temptation to….
To the memory of The Rev John MacKay second son of Captain William MacKay of Scourie. 7 years Minister of Durness and 39 of Lairg. A man peculiarly witted by uncommon vigour of body and of mind for the times in which he lived. He was an able, zealous & successful Minister in doctrine, sound in conversation, pure in reaching clear…. And interesting, exemplary in conduct and mighty in the scriptures deriving from liberal knowledge and foreign travel. The endowments of a scholar and of a gentleman he was no less an ornament of society than a useful and successful pastor of the people. He was born in 1680. In 1709 he married Mrs Catherine MacKay who died in 1724 and he departed this life in 1753.
Erected to the memory of William, 3rd son of The Rev T MacKay who was born in 1770 died Calcutta 1804, Naval Commander, author of Narrative of the Shipwreck of the Juno 1795.…….

I have photos if they are of any use to you.

Also the only Montgomery I have in Kilmuir Easter

Erected by John Montgomery, Merchant in Miltown above the remains of his oldest son Joseph. A most promising amiable youth who departed this life the 25th Dec 1733 in the 16th year of his age. Beneath this stone lies the remains of John, Magdalene, Mary & Alexandrina other children of his who died in infancy 1781.

Offline Fransmoi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 May 10 16:17 BST (UK) »
This is most marvellous and yes I would much appreciate pictures. Thank you for going to the trouble of copying it for me.(I note she referred to as Mrs Margaret Montgomery but I have found this on others)

In The History of the House and Clan MacKay by Robert Mackay,writer ,Thurso ( the book mentioned by Ian B above)she is described as the "daughter of John Montgomery,granddaughter of John younger brother of Fearn of Tarlogie and great grand daughter of John Mackay of Kirktomy by Jane third daughter of the Honourable Sir James Fraser of Brae : issue three sons  John,Hugh & William and two daughters Catherine and Harriet.
The eldest son John now of Rockfield ....is representative in the male line of the Scowry branch of the Reay family."

The Montgomery stone at Kilmuir was set by my grt grt grt grandmother Helen's father John .Baptised there in 1759 she was his second child.Could Mrs Margaret Mackay nee Montgomery possibly be his relation?
Helen married Andrew Ross ,tacksman of Kildary who died 22 Feb 1836 who is the farthest ancestor I can find in my father's Ross line.

On we go step by step.
Again my thanks.
Frances in Inverness.

Aird,Anderson,
Babington,
Bothwell,
Clark,
Dunford,
Errington,
Fleming,Forrest,
Gerrard,
Kinghorn,
Leslie,Loudon,Lumsden,
Ramsay,Ross ,Rust
Turnbull,
Wallace,Woodman

Offline cliffhuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 August 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
I have enjoyed the discussion on Margaret Montgomery. She and Rev Thomas MacKay are my 5th great grandparents. I have no further info on the Montgomerys as has been posted.
My link is through their daughter, Harriet MacKay, who married Rev George Gordon. A daughter, Margaret Gordon, 1803-1829, married, as his 2nd wife,  James William (Willoughby) Anderson, surgeon of Brora and Golspie. A few yeasr after Margaret passed on, James emigrated to Pictou, NS Canada in 1832.

Cliff Huber Kakabeka Falls, ON, Canada
feel free to exhange info on the MacKay-Gordon-Anderson lines.

Offline cliffhuber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 March 17 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Montgomery Mrs T Mackay Lairg- did we make contact by email? I lost all my inbox notes going back to 2009, and email addies as well.
cliff huber kakabeka falls, ON CA (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php