Author Topic: John Harry/Henry Green  (Read 19467 times)

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Harry/Henry Green
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 06 May 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Valda for added info.Were the parents of the John Green b.1808 John & Harriet of Bishopsgate? As John Harry would have been 8 yrs old surely they would not give another son the name of John.I know that John, husband of Harriet, died 1825 but not how old he was. When I went up to the Guildhall Library  to search Paviors records I found another Green called William who paid his subscription of eight shillings in 1811 which would mean he was a member until 1815 at sixpence a quarter, he also lived in Bishopsgate.
It just seems so strange that not one of John Harry's decendants know a single thing about his parents or siblings. John Harry did claim to have been disowned by his father.
I have been able to trace a number of the actual Baptism records for the Greens but not for John Harry (only on IGI) I wonder if another trip to London to Metroplitan Archives might produce his actual record showing his parents.
This is proving very difficult.

Vesta

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 06 May 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are cases where families do give two children the same name and in this case the later baptism does exist.
I don't really think it strange that John Harry's descendants know little about their father's family. Their mother probably arrived in their father's household as a servant which is why he did not marry her and why he was disowned by his family because he had a relationship with her and maintained his children but died while they were still young. After his death she did leave the area didn't she?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 07 May 10 15:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your thoughts Valda. I have at last found the John Green baptised 11 June 1808 with the same name parents as the other 6 sons. It would be too much of a coincidence for there to be another John & Harriet in Bishopsgate. Sir John Green with a wife called Margaret Suter died in 1877 -- I found this in Who's Who--- I had no idea I could get that sight but I typed in my library card number & it worked. I just wonder could Sir John be the John born 1808?
Trying to trace the Kirby Greens line down I see that 3 generations ago they hyphenated Kirby-Green.
Have you any suggestions where I should look for the actual
d of b of Sir John?
Vesta

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 08 May 10 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Depending where you live your library card may give you access to The Times newspaper. If so you may have a death notice for Sir John Green which gives you his age.

Regards

Valda

Offline niget kg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 08 May 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My name is Nigel kirby-Green. John Kirby-Green(at westminster school) was my father, his father was William Cardwell Kirby-Green, his father William Mackenzie Kirby -Green(later Sir) and his father was John Green (later Sir) who was a diplomat in Greece and then Egypt and then in what is now modern Romania. There is a connection not fully clear to me until this exchange between John Green and Phillip and Richard Lee Green. My great grandfather's obituary refers to being a member of a line of hereditary consuls for the Levant Company and there is a John Green who was the Treasurer of the Levant Company in the early nineteenth Century - i have been wondering if there is a connection to the John Green above?

Regards,

Nigel

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 08 May 10 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Nigel
Delighted to "meet" you. Am I correct that you had 2 brothers Philip Marion Kirby-Green & John Gresham K-G. If so you are the 3rd son that I have been trying to put a name to. I am really trying to solve the connection between Octavius Green & William Kirby Mackenzie Green. Do you know if Sir John d.1877 was the son of Harriet & John Green of Bishopsgate? if that were so the jigsaw would be solved!
Look forward to hearing from you.
Vesta

Offline niget kg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 May 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
Vesta,

Nice to meet you too. No i am not the third son - john gresham kirby-green was my father, philip my uncle - the third son was my uncle Tom kirby-Green who was murdered by the Gestapo in 'The Great Escape' during WWII.

Yes John Green (1808) is Sir John Green as i know certainly that one of his brothers was George Alfred Green.

Regards,
Nigel

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 May 10 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel

Welcome to Rootschat

It might be better to amend your post so there is less to identify any living members of your family including yourself. More up to date family details can be communicated through Rootschat personal messages (pms). You need to post three times then you can send and receive pms by clicking on the 'name' of  the poster.

'They were styled consular agents, probably because the Levant Company being bound ... Patras Philip John Green Consul Richard Lee Green Vice-Consul Salonica'

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=x_sWAQAAIAAJ&q=%22levant+company%22+%22john+green%22&dq=%22levant+company%22+%22john+green%22&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&num=100&as_brr=0&cd=2

This may not necessarily be the John Green who married Harriet since it has already been stated of Sir John that the ...family have held British consular posts in the Levant for generations

'John Green, Esq. is treasurer to the Levant Company, and resided in Constantinople from 1774 to 1780. In the year 1778, he witnessed a violent plague during ...'

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=NYEBAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA117&dq=%22levant+company%22+%22john+green%22&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&num=100&as_brr=0&cd=3#v=onepage&q=%22levant%20company%22%20%22john%20green%22&f=false

A History of the Levant Company - online book

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=XqRMR6i9sOUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=records+%22levant+company%22&source=bl&ots=w_2U3j5DHB&sig=mqR2wxJ9gMkeBQGAvyTKNO3CGQw&hl=en&ei=qbTlS7iKE6SfOJ_-4dsN&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=records%20%22levant%20company%22&f=false

Records of the Levant Company at The National Archives

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/searchresults.asp?SearchInit=0&txtsearchterm=levant+company&txtfirstdate=&txtlastdate=&txtrestriction=&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=24&image1.y=6

and at the Guildhall Library

http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/s-z.htm

Regards

Valda
co-moderator London and Middlesex

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 08 May 10 21:53 BST (UK) »
Valda
Thanks for all the above info. It is exciting making contact with
Nigel & we should be able to help each other. It was your guidance that brought this about!
Vesta