Author Topic: John Harry/Henry Green  (Read 19518 times)

Offline Alexander von Georg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Harry/Henry Green
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 27 September 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Vesta

No apologies required it was probably a bug in the messaging system.

I have it on good authority that Philip James Green was the son of Algernon Green (a Protestant Pastor) and his wife Patricia Celia Stamforth (a wealthy Scottish heiress).
With that in mind, my question is thus: do we have any concrete primary sources regarding Philip's ancestry? If so who were his grandparents and so forth?

Any information you can provide would be most appreciated.

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 27 September 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Good morning Alexander
Well, the Phillip James Green that I have ( with Records) was b. 2 Jan 1797 in Newington. He became a Consul for The Levant Trading Co: ( similar to The East India Co). The Levant Co. traded around Greece, Turkey & the Islands & the British representative in charge was known as Consul. Do a search on The Levant Co.
He married Frances Dorothea Larking in Paris on 11 July 1820. They had 8 children.
Philip James parents were John Green & Harriet STANIFORTH. In fact, Staniforth comes up as a middle or first name in following generations.
He is buried with his wife, mother & some siblings in Kensal Green Cemetery. I have a photo of the grave,
There are lots of records of The Levant Co. at Metropolitan Archives & The Guildhall Library in London.
Did you receive my "personal post"?
What is your authority for your Philip? James's parents?
Vesta

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 27 September 18 10:17 BST (UK) »
There is a book entitled

Title Sketches of the war in Greece, in a series of extracts from the private correspondence of P. J. G. with notes by R. L. Green ... and an appendix, etc
Authors Philip James GREEN, Richard Lee GREEN
Published 1827

You can obtain a copy through Amazon or Alibris

Richard Lee Green appears to be the British Vice Consul for Morea

Don't know if you read this -- it was sent to me a few years back from RootsChat.
These two brothers fit my work.
Vesta

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 27 September 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
Philip James Green apptd C 1817 [FO 881/2353], CG 1824 [LA]
[cf. J.P. Green C 1822, 1823 [BIC]]
[already described as CG for the Morea in AnnReg, 1820, p. 559]
<m. 11 Jul 1820 Paris to Frances Dorothea d/o John Larking [AnnReg, as above]>
Richard Lee Green VC 1824 [LA][VC 1824-1828 [Gunning]]
[“His emoluments if any, allowed him by the Consul, his brother.” [FO 881/2353]]
<b. 1798, d. 1878 Patras; bro. of Philip, joint author with him of Green & Green,
where Philip is described on the title page as “late British Consul for the Morea”,
and Richard as “Vice-Consul”>
Extract from the records of the Levant Co:

Philip James Green's father was Treasurer of The Levant Company & also a member of the Court of Paviors Livery Company so a Freeman of The City of London.
Vesta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 27 September 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Vesta

Thank you for the prompt reply.

There seems to be a problem with the sources at hand.

According to the 'Bulletin of the Association for Heraldry and Genealogy of Hellas', Number 11, Records of the 3rd Pan-Hellenic Symposium of Genealogy and Heraldry, (October 29th - November 1st. 1998), page 512, we are informed that a Francois Nicolas Merlin married Augusta Green, sister of Philip James. Their parents are listed as Algernon Green and Patricia Celia Stamforth (Staniforth?)

Also, according to the 'Grandes Familles de Grece, d' Albanie et de Constantinople', Dictionnaire Historique et Genealogique, Paris 1999, by Mihail Dimitri Sturdza, page 437, the same fact is asserted. This primary academic document been the equivalent of Burke's Peerage for Eastern Europe is of great authority and its gravity can hardly be contested.

That been said, the John Green and Harriet Staniforth you mentioned as Philip's parents appear as a paradox. What are the primary sources that validate their existence as Philip's progenitors ?

Regardless, are we aware of John Green and Harriet Staniforth's ancestry? If so who were their respective ancestors?

Looking forward hearing from you

Kind Regards

Alexander

PS: Thank you for the additional information regarding Philip James Green's carrier but I am fairly certain that in the family library we have a copy of his Book 'Sketches of the war in Greece' including some of his letters to his brother and associates. His and his siblings history is well known to me.

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 28 September 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Alexander
Did you receive the 3 personal messages? I have many documents to support my work.
Vesta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 28 September 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Vesta

I did receive them and I am in the process of examining the information.

Thank you for your help

Kind Regards

Alexander

Offline G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 28 September 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
During my research for the James Green Esq., that I have been trying to trace, I have come across some references to the various other James Greens, which may be of interest to other people who may visit this site.... viz:- the one who was the Consul General in Tangiers, appointed 19th March 1806? and retired in July 1817, after overseeing the new building. His wife died 21st January 1837 in Bentinck Street, London, she was the sister of Lord Dufferin and Claneboye.
Also Captain James Green R.N., who commanded H.M.S. Daphne, 22 guns in 1813.
James Green of Lincoln's Inn Fields, who died 20th September 1850.
James Green of Portsmouth House, Todmorden.
James Henry Green of Penge Park, Anerley.
James Green the portrait painter, of South Crescent, Bedford Square, London who died 27th March 1834 at Bath.
James Green of the Falcon Glass Works Holland Street and Brixton.

The only info that I have read from other sources, which may not be reliable, about the Greens that you are following is listed below.
P.J. Green who married Frances Dorothea, 2nd daughter of John Larking of Clare House Kent and niece to Sir Charles Style.
John Philip Green of Ceylon, his eldest son who was married on the 25th March 1857 at the Parish Church of West Malling to Jane Mary 2nd daughter of the late Avetas Akers Esq. of Malling Abbey, Kent.
Philip Green was born 1797 at Boyne House, Uxbridge Road, Kensington, London, a merchant and Consul General for Morea, died 10th January 1861 and his son Octavius born in 1823 at Zante. He bred in 1871, 'Monarch' the prize winning mastiff, whilst living at Boyne House. In 1891 he was stated as being as the lawful attorney of Dame Mary Green, the widow of Sir Wiliam Kirby Green, late of Tangier.

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 28 September 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
Most of your second paragraph is correct.
Vesta