Author Topic: John Harry/Henry Green  (Read 19525 times)

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Harry/Henry Green
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 April 10 21:29 BST (UK) »
A really huge thank you to all of you, so many things are now falling into place-- I have work to do on all of this but now you have found me the birth of Henry Barnard & the likely birth of John Harry. It is the Greek connection that makes me believe I will now be able to solve this long standing problem. John Harry's mother was Harriet & Sophia named the child born after John Harry's death Harriet.

I realy do appreciate all this help
Sincere Thanks
Vesta

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 April 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

St Paul's Anglican Church Registers Athens Greece
Marriages

18 Nov 1860  GREEN Hy. Alfred eld. s/o Richard Lee Green (Green Bey of Patras)
de STREIT Sophie d/o Baron de Streit, Consul General of Belgium

Buried in the same cemetery as his father

Henry Alfred Green 1832-1896

The other Green buried there may be his mother

Avrakomi Green 1811-1886

J 77/159/3816A  Divorce Court File: 3816A. Appellant: Henry Alfred Green. Respondent: Sophia Green. Co-respondent: Eugene Streit. Type: Husband's petition for divorce [hd]. 1875

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 April 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
I have made enormous progress in the last week but I think I may have uncovered another family scandal.
In the 1891 census living with Octavius Green is a William K. Green listed as his nephew age 14  born Kensington.
In the 1881 I have found a William K Green age 3  as a boarder in Ashbourne Derbyshire. My problem is I can't find his parents or even just his mother. He then just vanishes!
Guidence please.
Vesta

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 April 10 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't know who the William Green in Derbyshire was in 1881. As far as I can tell he has no connection at all. This family isn't likely to place their children with shoemakers. In 1881 the family appears to be in Montenegro.

These are details for William Cardell Kirby Green and his father William Kirby Mackenzie Green.

Both men seem to have spent a large part of their lives out of the country

The record of old Westminsters: a biographical list of all those who are ...‎ - Page 1048
'Green, John Gresham Kirby. son of William Kirby Green, of Dowa, Nyasaland,
Resident Collector ; b. Dec. 28, 1907 ; adm. April 28, 1921 ; left July 1925. '

Appointment to Fez‎ - Page 265
'Kirby Green, a Commissioner in the Nyasaland administrative service, ... Young
William Kirby Green began his diplomatic career as secretary to his father,'

15th February 1904 St Stephen, Kensington
William Cardell Kirby Green 28 Bachelor Adminstration BCA moticl? 30 Camden Grove Kensington W,  William Kirby Green, KCMG
Ada Gresham Bois 25 Spinster 40 Gloucester Road SW, Edgar Bois, Gentleman
Both signed, marriage by banns
Witnesses Edgar? Bois and A J ? Green

also
Marriages Sep 1901   
BOIS  Ada Gresham     Holborn  1b 1460   
GREEN  William Kirby     Holborn  1b 1460   

18th August 1876 St Stephen, Kensington
William Kirby Cardwell Green parents William Kirby and Mary, 13 Gloucester Road, father’s occupation H M at Scutari Albania

William Kirby Green the elder

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:Notes_by_the_Way.djvu/212

Annual Register 1892
‘Sir William Kirby Green, KCMG, British Minister to Morocco, died suddenly in Morocco city, on Feb. 25, where he had arrived, ... Sir William Kirby Green, who was a member of one of the oldest hereditary Consular families of the Levant’
Peerage, baronetage, and knightage
‘W. GREEN, LADY (Knt.'s widow). —MARY, d. of Col. Sir Thomas Reade, KCB, consul-gen, in Tunis; m. 1863, Sir William Kirby Green, KCMG : late envoy ...’

W.K. GREEN, his wife gave birth to a daughter 6th January 1870 at Tunis, Vice Consul
Mary Agnes Margaret GREEN, died 9th July 1871 in Tunis, aged eighteen months, the daughter of William Kirby Green, British Vice Consul in Tunis

http://website.lineone.net/~aldosliema/residents4.htm

Who was who: a companion to Who's who : containing the biographies ...
‘London, 5 May 1876; s. of Sir William Kirby Green, KCMG, Diplomatic Corps, and Mary, d. of Sir Thomas Reade, KCMG ; m. Ada Gresham Bola ; three s. Educ. : Eton ; English College, Bruges. Served in 37th Imperial Yeomanry in Boer War ...’

Full name

'Sir William Kirby Mackenzie Green (1836-1891), diplomatist; entered consular service, c. 1864; vice-consul at Tetuan and acting consul at Tangier, 1859-1869; acting agent and consul-general at Tunis, 1869-71, Damascus, 1871-3, Bairut, 1873-6; consul at Scutari, 1876-9; consul-general for Montenegro, 1879-86; envoy to Morocco and consul-general at Tangier, 1886-91; K.C.M.G., 1887.'

London Gazette 1891 Octavius Green handles the probate of Sir William Kirby Mackenzie Green’s will.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/26207/pages/5111

Regards

Valda

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 April 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
WOW!! what can I say but a huge thank you. I have read this all through twice, but how is Octavius the Uncle to young William K. Green? Could the child born in Zante in 1823 of which as yet I do not have a name be William K son of Philip James?
I had just found an incoming passenger list of 1934 with a William K. Green & an Ada G Green, but didn't think they would fit!
Best set to work
My thanks again
Vesta

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 April 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sir William Kirby Mackenzie Green (1836-1891)

Philip James is likely to have left a will

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1176.htm

Deaths Mar 1861  Green  Philip James     Kensington  1a 54

Regards

Valda

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 April 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Valda
Vesta

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 20:57 BST (UK) »
Still struggling a bit. In the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography William Kirby Mackenzie Green b.1836 Nauplia - d.24 Feb 1891 Morocco. It says he was the son of Sir John Green d.1877 & his wife Margaret Suter. William married Mary Reade or Radle. They had 2 sons one called John Arthur.
Now Octavius Green was William's Nephew, executor to his Will, son of Philip J. Green. I have not been able to fit Sir John Green anywhere to my tree-- who was his father?? All these Sirs & Consuls don't quite fit with my na're do well John Harry Green. John Harry was one of 6 sons born to John  died 1825 (Paviors records) & Harriet Green--- it seems 3 did very well for themselves. But where does Sir John fit in??
Very Confused
Vesta

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't actually understand the connection either, but supplementing the information a little (not helped by the fact the family is constantly out of the country)

Green Lady Margaret daughter of the late George Suter Esq Married 1831 Sir John Green C.B. who died 1877

Debrett's baronetage and knightage 1879

and

Appletons' annual cyclopaedia and register of important events, Volume 16

Sir William Kirby Green, KCMG, British Minister to Morocco, died suddenly ... He was a son of Sir John Green, for many years Consular-General at Bucharest,

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=XKoYAAAAIAAJ&q=kirby+%22sir+john+green%22&dq=kirby+%22sir+john+green%22&lr=&as_drrb_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&num=100&as_brr=0&cd=4

FO 32/110 Consuls Richard Wilkinson, Anthony N. Vitalis, John Green, Horatio B. Suter, Foreign various and Consular Domestic. 1841.

There is still of course the problematic baptism of John Green in 1808

Regards

Valda