Author Topic: BOCOCK Ancestors in Lincolnshire  (Read 11212 times)

Offline grau

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOCOCK Ancestors in Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 02:28 GMT (UK) »
My BOCOCK ancestors in Lincolnshire include ;

ELSIE, b Scunthorpe 1917.
ROBERT  ALFRED, b  North Cockerington 1891.
ALFRED,  b Irby-upon-Humber 1859.
ROBERT, b Rothwell, christened there JAN 1835.
WILLIAM, christened Cuxwold FEB 1807.
JAMES, christened Irby-upon-Humber JUL 1784.
WILLIAM b c 1755.

This last WILLIAM married Mary Gunnell at Irby-upon-Humber on 6 MAY 1777.
Their children were ;

JOHN (Chr. Hawersby cum Beesby 1777),
WILLIAM (Chr. Irby 1779)
ROBERT (Chr. Irby 1781)
JAMES (Chr. Irby 1784).

The eldest William was living at Irby-upon-Humber at the time of the 1841 Census (HO 107/638 4 Irb.-u-H 37/4) where he is described as an 85 years old agricultural labourer).  William died the following year and was buried on 20 AUG 1842 at Irby-upon-Humber.

1.Does anyone feel they may be related to any of my Bocock ancestors?
If so, I have more information to share.

2. Does anyone know when and where WILLIAM BOCOCK was born, and who his parents were ?
WOW!!!! Thx Geoff E ;D
William and Betsy Ann were my greatgrandparents. Have some photos and verified family tree/history to share
Grau

Offline Mborrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 September 08 06:47 BST (UK) »
Geoff [the original poster] is my first cousin

BUT Grau and J-Bo you are our cousins too!!

I am in touch with several branches of the BOCOCK NZ line and William was brother to our Alfred BOCOCK  [born 1859 in Irby Lincolnshire] He married Dinah KIRK [I also have an extensive KIRK tree for Cottingham] Lot of information on both lines to share.

I have come across Robinson BOCOCK there is an un-sourced tree on line that links our eldest BOCOCK ancestor William to the descendant line of Robinson.

AND I once helped another researcher of John Tranfield Bocock this is from the top of my head as I can't find the old emails I believe John was born in Wrawby or had connections to the workhouse. I think if I remember correctly his dad was Benjamin and he had two sons who ended up in the workhouse when their Mum died.

I think descendants of the Butterwick clan ended up in Scunthorpe [as did my BOCOCK line] and they had a descendant who had the same name and year of birth as my Dad Albert Ernest BOCOCK [brother of Geoff's Elsie] and they both had daughters a few years apart given the same name too!!

Maria
BOCOCK:-Lincs
BORRILL;-  Hull (occ Bakers) & Grimsby
CLARVIS:- Any
KENDALL:-N.Lincs, Hull (1860+) esp Primitive Methodist's

Offline Greboblun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 February 10 21:47 GMT (UK) »
can anyone here Help Me with were William and Betsy Ann Bocock fit in to all this?

They were also from Lincolnshire

James, if you still need information on William and Betsy Ann please contact me

Gresham - UK wide
Bocock - Lincolnshire
Blundy - Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire
Parkes - Lincolnshire

Offline Mborrill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 February 10 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil
 I keep coming across your name in connection to the BOCOCK family. I am not sure if we have exchanged information in the past. A NZ cousin and myself made the link between the Lincolnshire and NZ lines and a lot of our/my work on the BOCOCK tree's I have freely shared and has been replicated online [such as the BOCOCK family picture]. I would love to share information with you.

Maria Borrill nee BOCOCK
BOCOCK:-Lincs
BORRILL;-  Hull (occ Bakers) & Grimsby
CLARVIS:- Any
KENDALL:-N.Lincs, Hull (1860+) esp Primitive Methodist's

Offline Greboblun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 February 10 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maria

We have been in touch before but I am not sure whether we have exchanged any info.  I have BOCOCKs and BORRILLs on my tree (I think we are distant relations) and would be willing to discuss them further.  My email address is greshlincs(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk

Regards

Phil
Gresham - UK wide
Bocock - Lincolnshire
Blundy - Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire
Parkes - Lincolnshire

Offline Midman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bocock family
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 April 10 22:43 BST (UK) »
I have picked up amessage from Sasha via a third party, from this forum dated 14th July 2004 which I have missed. Is Sasha available to contact please?
Midman

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 April 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Midman- I've merged your post with the existing thread but since you've 3 posts you can send Sasha a PM (personal message).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Midman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bocock ancestors in Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 April 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
Sasha,
I have a copy of his will dated 1809 which says much the same, but hints at connections in Barnard Castle.
Midman
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not 100% sure of the parents of my James Kirk, but I strongly suspect that he is the James baptised June 18th 1752 at Cottingham, son of James Kirk.

James' wife Frances Briggs was baptised at North Newbald on May 26th 1771 (I have her as a 79 year old widow on the 1851 census at New Village).  Initially I thought that the age gap between them was perhaps too big.  However I have a copy of two draft wills of James Kirk, one dated 1810 and the other dated 1822.  In both he is very clear on the fact that his wife inherits everything for the term of her natural life or as long as she remains a widow.  If she remarries everything reverts to his children.  It is very tempting to read it as an older man worried that his much younger wife will remarry and have a new family after his death.

His address in 1810 was Lawnes, Cottingham, and in 1822 New Village.  He mentions 4 acres of land in Cottingham called 'the Firth' and a farm in Wallingfen which he jointly occupies with his nephew William Kirk.

I wonder if your Henry Kirke's father James could also be the father of my James Kirk?  Do you know of any further children of your James Kirke?

Be interested to hear your view.

Best wishes,
Sasha.

Offline Midman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 April 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
Midman