Author Topic: The South African War Casualty Roll - "South African Field Force" Oct 1899 - Jun  (Read 6139 times)

Offline -sthelena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
       Is there any one who can help me please on the following? My Gt-Uncle Gunner John Charles Maddock (army no: 5544) 'J' Battery Royal Horse Artillery.  Gunner John Maddock was in South Africa from Feb 1900 till around 14th or 24th June 1900.He was Invalided home on one of date to England. so I want to find out if there is a Entry in the following Book for Gunner John C.Maddock in the following:

" The South African War Casualty Roll - "South African Field Force" Oct 1899 - June 1902 ".

to see if there is a Entry in for Gunner John Maddock?   I would be most grateful for any help Please!

Thank You!
:)

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The South African War Casualty Roll - "South African Field Force" Oct 1899 - Jun
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a copy of this book and I can't find him at all.  Are you positive about his unit?

Regards

Ian
Smith - Sileby + Coleorton, Leicestershire.
Chamberlain - Sileby, Leicestershire.
Heath - Coleorton, Thringstone + Coalville, Leicestershire.

Offline DenBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The South African War Casualty Roll - "South African Field Force" Oct 1899 - Jun
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 November 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

I noticed you had a copy of the South African Field Force and I wonder if you could help me.  Two of my wife's relatives, her grandfather and uncle, were recorded as being released prisoners at Vereeniging on 27 June 1901 on the latest findmypast release. I wonder if there is any more information on them.  They were HL and C Bradford, numbers 939 and 940 respectively of C Division South African Constabulary.

Regards,

Den
Bannister, Bradford, Aston, Ashton

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 November 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
       Is there any one who can help me please on the following? My Gt-Uncle Gunner John Charles Maddock (army no: 5544) 'J' Battery Royal Horse Artillery.  Gunner John Maddock was in South Africa from Feb 1900 till around 14th or 24th June 1900.

hi,,he was in South Africa from january till july
awarded South Africa medal with clasps for Cape Colony and Orange Free State.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 November 10 21:31 GMT (UK) »
hi,,he was in South Africa from january till july
awarded South Africa medal with clasps for Cape Colony and Orange Free State.
served till 1906
no mention of any wounds in record.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ians1900

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 November 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
This answer is for Den.

Den,

The South African Constabulary was an irregular force raised by the British in 1900, under the command of Baden-Powell, to maintain order and security in the Orange River Colony and the Transvaal.  I believe the South African Archives hold records to around 1908. You may find more information there.

Their contact details are:

National Archives of South Africa (www.national.archives.gov.za)
Head Office
Private Bag X236, Pretoria 0001
South Africa

Now, to reply to your question:  939 Trooper H.L. Bradford and 940 Trooper C. Bradford were taken prisoner at Vereeniging on the 27th of June 1901 along with three other troopers from C Division.  As you say, they were later released.  This is all the book records.

I do not know very much about this unit, but maybe someone else reading this does?

Good luck finding out more.

Regards

Ian
Smith - Sileby + Coleorton, Leicestershire.
Chamberlain - Sileby, Leicestershire.
Heath - Coleorton, Thringstone + Coalville, Leicestershire.

Offline DenBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 November 10 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ian,
Many thanks.  I know that HL (Horatio Leonard) Bradford was a member of Lumsden's Horse raised in India and the unit is well documented in Henry H S Pearse's book.  How his brother Charles, my wife's grandfather, got to South Africa from India remains a mystery but it appears he may have joined the SAC at the same time as his brother as their service numbers are consecutive.
Thanks again for your help, I'll check out the archives.
Den
Bannister, Bradford, Aston, Ashton