Author Topic: Hipwell family of Colmworth Beds  (Read 10470 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hipwell family of Colmworth Beds
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 17:59 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at Colmworth & Eaton Socon registers & doing some data analysis

I am unsure if Thomas Hipwell b1720 was born in Colmworth or Eaton Socon (his siblings seem to have been born in Eaton Socon).

There is no baptism of Thomas Hipwell c 1720 at either Colmworth or Eaton Socon; so as David says how do you know his parents. If he is the Thomas who married Susanna, & on their children's baptisms always referred to as shoemaker; then take a look at his burial at Colmworth on 9th April 1768 it states he was 'unbaptised' 

Thomas's (alledged) parents were Gregory Hipwell b c1685 and Anne King b c1685. They were married in Colmworth 08/11/1709. Would like to find out who Gregory and Anne's parents were, and if infact Gregory was from Colmworth.

The Colmworth burial on 3 Dec 1728 of Ann Hipwell, wife of Gregory of Stapeloe in Eaton Socon; is followed by marriage at Colmworth on 19 July 1731 of Gregory Hipwell to Amy Solmon - by certificate at Eaton Socon; what certificate ?  & it doesn't say he's a widower. She doesn't last long, if I assume this is her burial at Eaton Socon on 1 July 1732 <blank>,wife of Greg Hipwell. On 15 July 1750 the burial at Colmworth of Gregory Hipwell of Hunnington in the parish of Eaton Socon.  Suggest Hunnington = Honeyden

Regards John

more in a mo. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 18:07 BST (UK) »
Eaton Socon baptism on 14 Oct 1710 of Rebecca daughter of Greg & Ann Hipwell is followed by burial at Colmworth on 24 Apr 1711 of Rebecca, daughter of Gregory & Ann "brought from Eaton".   Now is there a subsequent daughter Rebecca ?    why ? - more in a mo
Clement - Croydon

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 18:23 BST (UK) »
Edited highlights from the will of Gregory Hipwell, carpenter of Honeyden in Eaton Socon, dated 20 March 1746, proved 15 Nov 1750 & granted to sole executor, my son John Hipwell.

I bequeath unto my daughter Rebecca Hipwell the sum of two pounds of lawful money of Great Britain.
I bequeath unto my daughter Ann Samworth the sum of two pounds
I bequeath to my daughter Jane Hipwell the sum of five pounds & also the bed whereon she lies....
I bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth Hipwell the sum of two pounds
I bequeath to my daughter Mary Hipwell the sum of two pounds
All the rest & residue I bequeath to my son John Hipwell & appoint him as my executor.

so no son Thomas mentioned there then..........

cheers John - time for food & some wine

I will leave you to discover the baptisms of the above children of Gregory..

Clement - Croydon

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 April 10 18:34 BST (UK) »

how do you know his parents.

As I have said before, this info was given to me and I am trying to confirm whether it is right or wrong before I add it to my tree.... going on the information you and David have found it looks like the info is wrong and I am back to square 1.

Thank you John, super work.

I visited the the Peterborough Library today.

The Parish record for Thomas (Tommas) Hipwell and Jane Crunkhorn has them both down 'from this parish'
which would be the parish of St John the Baptist Peterborough. (The only other info was the witness John Dale, who married Jane's sister Mary 18th feb 1794).

because it was in my tea break I only had time for a quick look either side of Thomas and Janes wedding for other possible leads.

Found a Joseph Hipwell marrying Mary Faine 25th Aug 1805 both of this parish. St John the Baptist.

Not sure where to go now.

Andrea.
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline heymissjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 May 10 04:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

I had very similar information to you and after reading through this post thought I might contribute some of my information:

My records have that George Hipwell b 1743 and baptised 10 April 1743 and Eliza Hipwell had more children that what you listed. In addition to the Thomas and Gregory you mentioned, I also had that they had the following children (all were baptised except Mary Ann)
- Mary Ann 1765
- Jane 1769
- Elizabeth 1770
- Jane 1774
- Mary 1775
- John 1777
- George 1779
- William 1780
- Solden (Solomon) 1784 - some records show as solding (my connection)

Source Information:
Batch No.:      Dates:      Source Call No.:      Type:      Printout Call No.:  Type:
C148641      1735 - 1875      1279080                    Film      NONE              Sheet:

•   I had that Susannah, George’s wife was baptised 27 Dec 1723

•   I had that Thomas Hipwell was baptised in Bedfordshire 26 Oct 1772

•   Gregory’s Dad b 1685  I had listed as George Hipwell b 1660, yet to confirm

•   Like you I have two thomas’s listed George Hipwell b 1743’s father was ‘John Thomas” b 1720 and his son I had as Thomas

•   With reference to the will; I now notice that there was no reference to Elizabeth’s twin Edward, who was baptised 27 dec 1723, perhaps he died? I also not no record of Gregory and Ann Hipwell having a daughter Mary?

Certainly an interesting part of the family tree! Has kept me busy for 15 years!

Offline harrygeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 May 10 11:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the extra information, but I am still to find a link.

I have returned to the parish records after finding the marriage of Tommas Hipwell and Joseph Hipwell. I have looked through the the records for baptisms of Hipwell children, I have gone back 40 years from 1797 and have found nothing. So I am at a loss as to where Tommas and Joseph originated from (even though they are down as from this parish on their wedding entry).
Haynes,Cobb,Welcher,Cox, Buck, Hipwell, Crunckhorn, Searle, Gilbert, (cambs),Lakey,Lavender,Merrington,Rolfe,Larkman (welney), Bell (docking),Haigh, Heselgrove,Bastow,Price,(yorks), Hipperson, Sadler.

Offline heymissjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 03:53 BST (UK) »
your assistance is appreciated!!

How can one get access to Parish records - is there a cd available? I am living in Melbourne Australia, so its a bit harder to visit some of these places?

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 05:55 BST (UK) »
So I am at a loss as to where Tommas and Joseph originated from (even though they are down as from this parish on their wedding entry).

"of this parish" merely means that the person was resident in that parish at the time of the marriage, not necessarily that he was born in that parish.

Welcome to Rootschat Heymissjo. See reply #1 in this thread for details of parish registers. In addition microfilm copies of parish registers can be ordered from and viewed at your nearest LDS Family History Centre - a list of Centres can be found at www.familysearch.org. The Melbourne centre appears to be at   76 Cathies Lane, Wantirna South, Victoria, Australia - see http://www.lds.org/temples/location/1,11219,1916-1-125-0,00.html. What specifically are you looking for with the Colmworth Hipwells?

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline heymissjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 12:13 BST (UK) »
thanks for that information David!! I suppose I am trying to learn how to access this type of information without relying on someone else to look it up. It turns out the location you listed is only 15 mins from home, so that is a bonus.

The Hipwell family has been a favourite line for me to research for many many years, especially since for 12 years I could not get back further than solden hipwell - it was always a challenge!  ;D