Author Topic: John Tucker born 1870  (Read 17319 times)

Offline lucytuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Tucker born 1870
« on: Thursday 10 September 09 23:12 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather, John Tucker, was born about 1870 in Longford, Ireland.  He married for a second time on June 19, 1892 at Saint Patrick's Pro-Cathedral Catholic Church in Newark, New Jersey, U.S.A. - he was 22 years old so he emigrated before that).  His first marriage may have been in Ireland.  His father was Andrew Tucker and his mother was Ann Casey.  I would like any information on John and/or his parents.  Thanks for your help. :)
Tucker, Callahan, Stewart, Monahan, Moore, Williams, Casey, McDermott, Leahy, Killty, Matthews, Barraclough, Love, Dunlop, Leigh, Walker, Evans, Hirst, Roper, Schofield,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Tucker born 1870
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 09 08:28 BST (UK) »
I dont see any Tucker births in Co. Longford, around 1870, but there ae a few in other places - e.g. Limerick, Tipperary & Mayo. One of the Mayo records is in the Claremorris district, which would be the closest record that I can see to Co. Longford at about 50km.

Full civil registration started in 1864 and you can search the index at this familysearch site :  http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

If you find a promising match you can order a cert from the GRO using index details from the index.    www.groireland.ie

Details they require are - name, registration district, year/quarter, volume & page (the other details are internal LDS/familysearch references and are not required by the GRO)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 09 09:06 BST (UK) »
1900 U.S. Census gives lots of details including month and year of birth, how long married, when arrived in U.S.
There's a John Tucker in Newark, N.J.: born June 1869 Ireland, to U.S. 1890 but he's married c1897 to Catherine and his mother Mary is also listed in household (she arrived later).
There's a John Tucker in Brooklyn, N.Y.: born Apr.1871 Ireland, to U.S. 1885, m.c1892 Elizabeth.
Are either of these your John Tucker? if not, could you give us more details like wife's name, names and ages of children, etc. so we can try to trace him back to Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lucytuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 09 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thank You.  His father was Andrew Tucker and his mother was Ann Casey (in Ireland).  His second wife in America was Elizabeth Callahan and they married in Newark New Jersey at St. Peter's Pro-Cathedral Catholic Church on June 19, 1892.  They had 4 children before he left her.  My grandfather, George Tucker was the youngest (born in 1900). 
Tucker, Callahan, Stewart, Monahan, Moore, Williams, Casey, McDermott, Leahy, Killty, Matthews, Barraclough, Love, Dunlop, Leigh, Walker, Evans, Hirst, Roper, Schofield,

Offline lucytuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 September 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
I think this is my John Tucker
There's a John Tucker in Brooklyn, N.Y.: born Apr.1871 Ireland, to U.S. 1885, m.c1892 Elizabeth.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 September 09 22:14 BST (UK) »
The John Tucker born Apr.1871 came to U.S. 1885 according to the census- aged about 14 years so you'd need to look in U.S. for his 1st marriage.
Try www.castlegarden.org for a John Tucker to U.S. c1885 and see if any arrived with other Tuckers (unfortunately very little detail in early records).
Also, Italian Genealogy website has lots of N.Y. marriages, etc.
Will do a bit of looking other places and let you know if I find anything helpful.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lucytuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 September 09 22:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 September 09 22:22 BST (UK) »
how sure are you about Co. Longford being his place of birth ?

The only Tucker matches in the civil index close to 1870 that I see in Longford is a James Tucker born about 1859 and deceased in 1880. His details are listed in the Granard registration district which is split between counties Westmeath, Longford and Cavan.

The three possible birth matches around 1870 are in Limerick (1867), Dublin  south (1873) and Clones (1873)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lucytuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 September 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
I tried www.castlegarden.org for a John Tucker to U.S. c1885, but only came up with a 30-year old John Tucker who came frome Ireland, but no Ann Tucker or Andrew Tucker. 

In the census, where was he living, and who else was living with him?