Author Topic: Letitia NOYES  (Read 6828 times)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Letitia NOYES
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 09:50 BST (UK) »
From the Maitland Mercury Newspaper:

13 May 1843
NOYES Silas sen. -  East Maitland, Claim for registration to vote for the Borough of East and West Maitland allowed.

Proof that wife & family arrived before 1843 as he is addressed as Silas Noyes Snr. His family including his son named Silas must have been known to the people in the area.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 10:19 BST (UK) »
Well found Merlin, 

Perhaps the family history group from that area has some lots of info that may just help !

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ausmfhc/index2.html

Fingers crossed for Lynne  ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone

Thanks so much for all your assistance. I have narrowed the dates to between 1835 - 1840.

I have started a process of elimination with the assisted immigration passenger list.  I've gone through 1835, 1836 and April & Jun 1837. So on the week end will try to finish 1837 and 1838,39,40.

Debra, that was interesting that the wives and children of convicts may not have been shown separately and only in a group.  That could possibly be one reason I'm unable to find any records.  I never thought of that!

Well done Merlin for picking up on the 'snr' part of the name.

I have actually been to the Maitland Family History Society and found quite a bit of information but nothing on the arrival of Letita and the children.

The death certificates and Silas Certificate of Freedom dont give any information of the families arrival. 

I'll keep plodding along - I appreciate everyones help

Regards
Lynne

Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Just a thought, do you have the death cert for Silas JNR, (or his siblings,) and if so, how long in the colony/State? Fingers crossed that the informant provided that info accurately  ;) could help with your diligent searchings   ;)  ;)  ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
I have narrowed the dates to between 1835 - 1840

Well it had to be before 1841 as Silas Jnr married that year  :)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
The death cert for Letitia may also have the length of time in colony.  I expect you are aware that a transcription is much cheaper and quicker than ordering from NSW BMDs.  You can also ask for part of the certficate if you are just wanting that information.  Have given the reg number for you.

1862  Letitia BARKER  72 died COOMA #3435

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi JM

I dont have a death cert for letitia or any of the chd only details of the burials.  However I did request a death certificate for Silas and they sent me a Burial Certificate with very limited information.  I have death certificates for ancestors in other branches but they dont have any rel details to the arrival in Australia.

Judith, thanks for your response, I wasnt aware you could get a transcription - I have only ever obtained full certificates from BDM.  How do I go about obtaining a transcription.

Regards
Lynne
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 00:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyn

The info on getting a transcription is on the NSW BMD site

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToSearch.htm#TranscriptionAgent

I haven't used  them but other R'chatters have and I think the service is fairly much the same from each of them.

NSW BMD site also has a list of what you can hope to find on a certificate - always dependent, of course, on what information was given by the informant.  There is also a list of certificate information on the Australia Resources Board of Rootschat - it is different for each state.

Let us know what you find!

Good luck!  Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 07:13 BST (UK) »
Ships from England to NSW carrying female convicts, arriving 1836 - 1840
The ship prior to these departed England Apr 1835, so was too early.

Henry Wellesley (1)
17 Feb 1836
No steerage passengers

Elizabeth IV
12 Oct 1836
No steerage passengers

Sarah & Elizabeth
23 Apr 1837
No steerage passengers

Henry Wellesley (2)
22 Dec 1837
Cannot find document

John Renwick (1)
27 Oct 1838
9 passengers plus free women and their children

Planter (2)
9 Mar 1839
Five free females and ? children (no. of children might be fourteen)

Mary Anne III (1)
10 Nov 1839
two free females and four children

Surrey I (10)
13 Jul 1840
No steerage passengers
(this was the last ship from England carrying female convicts)

I see from Letitia's letter that she says "I do sincerely trust and pray that you may feel disposed to send me for I have nothing but the Parish to support me".  Have you checked the parish records in Berkshire to see if they mention Letitia and the children coming off parish relief?

Debra