Author Topic: Letitia NOYES  (Read 6827 times)

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
Letitia NOYES
« on: Sunday 25 April 10 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for information of when Letitia Noyes and her four children, Eliza aged 18, Silas 9, Maria 6 and Hannah 4 came to Australia.

I have quite a lot of information re Silas and Letitia but have come up against a brick wall with the above. 

Silas came to Australia as a convict in 1831 and was sent to Dagworth Farm, Hunter River, Maitland, NSW.  Letitia and the children must have come to Australia between Jul 1835 - Mar 1848.

Silas and Letitia both wrote letters to the authorities requesting Letitia and the children be sent to Australia to join him.   

The letters were sent nov 1834 and Jul 1835.  Silas died Mar 1848 and Letitia was beneficiary to his estate, the Probate shows her address as Petersham, NSW.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Lynne

Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Re: Letitia NOYES
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 April 10 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have had a bit of a look on the records that Ancestry have, nothing shows for her. Unfortunately the mariners website for NSW only goes back to 1855.
I take it you have her death certificate which should say how long she had been in Australia.

There seems to be a bit of a gap in our shipping records, I'm missing a few of mine too.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 April 10 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08jg/

Have you considered making contact with the submitter  ;), great great great great great great grandchildren for the couple are listed there, and with the depth of research that would have been undertaken to make that submission in 2001 perhaps they have since found Letitia's arrival. 

Fingers crossed.

Silas and Letitia are shown with seven children, perhaps several of them were born in NSW, thus giving some clues to when she arrived  ;), so I note there's a baptismal record on the Early Church Records at NSW BDM online, 1843 Anna NOYES, father Silas, mother Ellen.  Perhaps this would be Hannah Noyes, with Ellen perhaps being Letitia.  (V18431139 27A/1843) If you think this likely, may I suggest a transcript rather than the certificate.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

Edit to add, IGI extracted record for Anna Noyes shows baptism 11 JUN 1843   St Peter, Campbelltown, New South Wales, Australia (Silas NOYES and Ellen as parents), so if Letitia was Ellen, then arrival was no later than 1843  ;D

Further Edit ... Of course, Silas, father of Anna may be Silas, son of Silas.  If so, then when did Silas (son of Silas and Letitia) marry Ellen? If in NSW, then there's another clue as to latest year of arrival  

Noticing that a Silas NOYES married Ellen Butler in 1841  ;) in the Hunter Region in NSW  ;)
Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 April 10 04:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am looking for information of when Letitia Noyes and her four children, Eliza aged 18, Silas 9, Maria 6 and Hannah 4 came to Australia.

Just wondering, what year were the four children aged (respectively) 18, 9, 6 and 4... could that be the year they arrived in Australia  ;) or are those ages gleaned perhaps from the letters of 1834/5..

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 April 10 04:36 BST (UK) »
Letitia NOYES remarried John BARKER in 1852 & she died 1862 in Cooma age 72 yrs :)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 April 10 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Having recrntly read Thomas Keneally's "Australians origins to Eureka" I went back and had a look at Chapter 24, 'Fetching Spouses".
It was apparently the custom to send spouses on Womens convict ships, Keaneally says that the last such ship was the "Margaret" from Dublin in 1840.

That would put her arrival, if it was on a convict ship, between 1834 and 1840.

Is there any way of searching the passenger lists for individual ships?

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 April 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

On the off-chance, have you considered searching the UK 1841 Census ... although Noyes could be mis-transcribed  ;) It would be part of an elimination process.   I have not found Letitia Noyes  ;) ;) listed in that census.  Closest I could find was a 12 year old Eliza Noyes in Berkshire at HO 107/36/9 in the Reading district, and sub-district of St Mary. I think she would be in same household as a Rebecca (abt 55 yrs) and Ellen (abt 40 yrs) Hooper. 

Also, re Silas, do you have copy of his Certificate of Freedom dated 30 Nov 1839 ?  And were there any clues as to where he intended to reside, or if his wife and family had arrived/were to arrive etc. 

Cheers, JM

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

I have seen a few shipping records which simply list, for example, " 7 wives of convicts and 10 children", with no names.  They generally appear after the paying cabin passengers on the first page of the manifest. 

Debra

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 09:43 BST (UK) »
From the Maitland Mercury Newspaper:

15 Sep 1847
Silas NOYES, of East Maitland Selling by auction, land and premises preparatory to his departure from Hunter district.

26 Feb 1848
Silas NOYES, Died at Petersham on 22nd February. A resident of East Maitland for many years.