Author Topic: Samuel family in Merthyr, Aberdare, Llanelly and Swansea  (Read 8833 times)

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Samuel family in Merthyr, Aberdare, Llanelly and Swansea
« on: Friday 25 March 05 15:38 GMT (UK) »
My grt grt grandfather Edwin Samuel was born in Swansea in 1832. He moved to Big Row Aberdare and then to Abercanaid Merthyr. He later moved to Treharris.
Some of his family were from Llanelly and are in the Capel Newydd records.
Is there anyone else tracing this family.
I cannot find Edwin before 1850 when he was a member of a mormon church
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel family in Merthyr, Aberdare, Llanelly and Swansea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 March 05 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what his parents names are - any brothers or sisters?
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 05 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Edwins father was Samuel Samuel acc to his wedding cert.
I have nothing on Samuel Samuel but I do know Samuel Samuel had two sisters Sarah and Ann.They married two brothers in chalford Hill Bisley called Edmonds . Acc to records Sarah was born in 1789 and Ann 1785. I don't know why they were in Bisley because most of the family sem to be oncentrated in the South Wales area.
Edwin Samuel married Elizabeth Watkins of Vaynor Merthyr.
He also had a brother Joseph b 1821 in Merthyr Tydfil.Joseph emigrated to Pennsylvania.
Other names I am researching conn to this family are:-
Martin's of Vaynor, Watkins of Brecon, Edwards of Carmarthenshire, Davies of Llanybyther and Merthyr, Jones of Carmarthenshire.
Also Phillips, Edmunds, Reynolds  among others.
Samuel, Edwards,Watkins,Phillips, Martin, Phelps,Harries,Jones,Evans,Davies,Edmunds,Rowlands,Meredith,Ray,Griffiths,Lewis,Francis,Hale,Harris,Emanuel,Taylor,Pocket,Nicholas,

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 05 15:49 BST (UK) »
Can't find them in Glamorgan in 1841 ???

I found him in the 1851 Census living with the Voile family at 10 Big Row, Llwydcoed - makes sense as his brother Joseph married Susannah Voil at Carmel Chapel, Aberdare in 1847 - so he's living with his brother's in-laws.

Next door at number 11 is Joseph and Susannah (who was born Cape of Good Hope). They are recorded as being nephew & niece of the head of household, John Edmonds,  61 born Bisley Gls. Also resident is his daughter and her husband & family - Thomas & Amelia Reynolds & children.

Does he consistently give Swansea as his place of birth on subsequent census?

Incidentally, my GG grandparents & G Grandfather lived at 11 Big Row in the 1881 census!  :o
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 March 05 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for the information. I had found him in 1851 and that is where I found the connection to Joseph and John Edmunds.
In 1850 Edwin was ex communicated from the Llansawel branch of the Mormon church probably because he was moving to Aberdare.
On the entry it  is not very legible but it gives St johns Abertawe as place of birth. There are two Llansawels in South Wales so it could be either. I have looked on the 1841 Carmarthenshire census cd to no avail.On later census entries his birthplace is Swansea.Very confusing!
Joseph and Susannah were also members of this branch of the Mormon church. Also the family Edwin married into had strong Mormon connections.  Edwin's cousins can be found on Mormon family search  I found cousins in Abercanaid Merthyr Tydfil.I also noticed you are looking for some of the same names as myself. Re Davis/Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, James, Jones, morgan, Powell, Rees, Williams.
My Davies lines are from Carmarthenshire and Cardigan, Edwards -Carms, Evans -Cards, Griffiths-Cards, James- Merthyr, Jones- Cards, Morgan- merthyr, Powell- Aberdare, Rees- Merthyr, Williams- Quakers Yard,.

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 05 18:47 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the family research centre in Swansea? They have an excellent collection of all parish registers for the Swansea area. You may have luck tracking him down there??

http://www.swansea.gov.uk/westglamorganarchives/index.cfm?articleid=389

Ironically even though a lot of those names match up - all my locations are different apart from the James in Merthyr and possibly Powells in Aberdare. Drop me a PM and we can compare notes to see if there is a connection :)

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 March 05 11:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for searching on my behalf. I will try the address given for the Swansea archives.
I will find Edwin but it will probably take time.
Thank you again
Gaynor

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 April 05 21:15 BST (UK) »
Were your Llanelly Samuels in any way connected to David Samuel b1832 and Margaret Thomas b1813 please? They were farmers and had 11 children. Thomas b1855  William b1858 David b1860 John b1863  and Joseph b1870 moved to Blaengarw. Elias b1867 moved to Ystradfodwg. They all worked as miners, there must be a lot of relations there I know nothing about!
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline gayn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 April 05 15:11 BST (UK) »
hi
Were your Samuels from Llanelly?
I have found my Llanelly Samuels but the David Samuel you mentioned is not there. Some of these moved to Ystradfodwg.
Mine moved to Aberdare and Merthyr Tydfil mostly.