Author Topic: Is Abertovy really Aberdovey (Aberdyfi).  (Read 3901 times)

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is Abertovy really Aberdovey (Aberdyfi).
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 01:09 BST (UK) »
I have an 1851 census record for Tenby, St Mary in Liberty, Pembrokeshire which has Jane James, visitor, 33 (abt 1818) born Abertovy Cardagan (my guess at reading the name).

Is this more likely to be Aberdovey in Cardiganshire?

I'm seeking to determine whether the person she was staying with (Rachell Thomas) is Jane's sister, but Rachell was born in Lampeter Velfrey, Pemb., in 1821, so the James family would have moved rather a long way for that to happen. Any clues will be greatly appreciated.
Rachell from Lampeter (or L Velfrey, or Lamport Velfrey), Pembrokeshire is always the case, there's no indication that she is from Lampeter Cardiganshire.
Pembrokeshire - Brown, Rees, Thomas, James, Nedahl, Noot
Somerset - Brown, Parfitt, Daniell, Wheeler, Clissold, Indoe
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is Abertovy really Aberdovey (Aberdyfi).
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD

Marriage of Rachell James registered Dec 1842 Pembroke 26 1005. One of the possible partners is a John Thomas.

Note the double L in Rachell. Only one instance of Rachell with a double L recorded with a potential partner Thomas.

Is the head of household John Thomas? Unable to check the '51 Census at the moment - FindMyPast undergoing maintenance 

regards

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 08:39 BST (UK) »
i have just seen your post about John Thomas St Mary Tenby - which answers my question about the '51 Census.

regards

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Abertovy i believe is Aberterfi,which is  Welsh for the town  of Cardigan.

Lampeter Velfrey is in Pembrokeshire not to far from Tavernspite.

People moved about for work much as they do today.

Hope this helps

Omega

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all contributors. I found this on GENUKI "This place, called by the Welsh Aberteivy, from its situation near the mouth of the river Teivy", a different spelling but much more like the census entry. The collector could have misspelt the collected data. I therefore fully support the entry being for Aberteifi, Cardigan, not Aberdovey.

I agree that people moved, and if they started from Cardigan then it is far less drastic a move than from Aberdovey, so I'm very appreciative of the feedback.

Rachell became Rachel after 1851, but it is a good clue for earlier research.

Re comments on John Thomas, she married John Thomas of Caldey Island (separate query going on about that) but he was apparently on Caldey with his father/brothers in 1851. He turns up in 1861 and 1871, but Rachel appears to be a widow in 1881. That in itself created problems because when their daughter marries in 1884 her father is recorded as John Thomas, boatman, rather than deceased, but I gather that is not totally unusual. This family are giving me lots to look at.
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 09:27 BST (UK) »
Pleased if i have helped in some small way.

I also have marriage certs where it gives Dad`s name & occupation but did`nt mention the fact he had died,so we`er not alone  :)

Caldy Island is lovely,well worth a visit if you hav`nt already.

I have several ancestors who moved from Pembrokeshire to the Valleys,and 1 who went to Bath.

Good Luck with you research.

Omega :)

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
Definitely Aberteifi (Cardigan) and the  Lampeter is not the Cardiganshire Lampeter, which in Wesh is Llanbedr Pont Steffan.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline zalib

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 May 10 01:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the quality feedback.

I've resolved the Thomas side of things and have a good tree to work with.

The James side are more difficult. Rachel left Lampeter Velfrey before 1841 (I have a reasonable match in Tenby for a servant which explains how she met John). Jane James is nowhere meaningful to be found. The father of Rachel was James James, and there is an 1841 match in Lampeter Velfrey from recollection, but nothing provable at this stage.

Thanks everyone.
Wiltshire - Collins

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 July 10 11:32 BST (UK) »
Further to the spelling, there is no letter 'v' in the Welsh alphabet.   The 'v' sound is represented by a single 'f'.   The 'eff' sound is represented by the letter 'ff' in Welsh (yes it is a letter, as is ch, rh and ll).   The English version of words will usually have a 'v', for example Aberdovey (Aberdyfi), Carnarvon (Caernarfon) etc, etc.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire