Author Topic: Birth Courier South Australia 1850  (Read 1964 times)

Offline napier42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Courier South Australia 1850
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,could someone advise the date on a registered date of a birth certificate for august 30 1850,the child's name is Arthur robinson. we are wondering how long the registration was after his birth as their is confusion on where the Courier came from eg melbourne and then to adelaide. One other member has been working on the robinsons as we both have a direct ancestor.
thanks
napier42
Robert Robinson, Robert Fleming,Williams,Giles,Jacka,South Australia. Smith Victoria,
Foote,Graham,Peter all of scotland
Jean Foote mother of Jane Smith who married Peter Braid Smith in Dundee Feb 1850 and then immigrated to Victoria in August 1850

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Courier South Australia 1850
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 04:54 BST (UK) »
I assume you are talking about the birth of Arthur ROBINSON onboard the ship 'COURIER' which I see appears on his birth registration in the indexes  :)

The ship 'COURIER' 1850 from MELBOURNE under Captain MELLIN arrived ADELAIDE, 22 December, 1850 with 22 passengers.

Some of the passengers were:

MELLIN, Mrs & child (I assume the captains family)
MacLOUGHLIN, R T Esq. - Surgeon
Mr Howe
McGRATH, Mrs & Family
THOMSON, & family
ROBINSON, Miss

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Napier42,

A Big Welcome to RootsChat  ;D

Have you seen Wyanga's thread?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,436603.0.html

The information you require will only be available on the certificate. I hope someone is able to check it for you if you are unable to do so yourself. You can view the certificate yourself at the SAGHS or The Unley Library. Alternatively you can purchase the certificate or apply for a transcription of it. You will find links on our resources board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,280572.0.html

Its one I am certainly curious about. I may have to try to get out to Unley myself when next in Adelaide if we don't have the answer by then.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline napier42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris, yes wyanga has been in contact passing inof on.The Courier ship "time arrival" and birth reg is unusual. I am in WA and if can sight the certificate at WAGS here I will. Will ring them.Catherine Fleming nee Robinson is the connection,. Family stories distort the picture some time. I thought I would try (somehow) and try to find Robert Robinson's will. Perhaps that would give more info about him??.
If you can sight the birth cert that would be fantastic, Iwill let you know if I am able to go in check it.

thanks a lot for your reply so promptly
Napier42
Robert Robinson, Robert Fleming,Williams,Giles,Jacka,South Australia. Smith Victoria,
Foote,Graham,Peter all of scotland
Jean Foote mother of Jane Smith who married Peter Braid Smith in Dundee Feb 1850 and then immigrated to Victoria in August 1850

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 11:34 BST (UK) »
The Courier ship "time arrival" and birth reg is unusual

Why do you think the Courier time arrival & birth reg is unusual?

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Merlin,

The thing we find a bit odd is in the other thread. The birth

Arthur 31 Aug 1850 aboard COURIER Ade 3 152

Yet the COURIER arrived from Melbourne 22 Dec after an apparent stop over in Melbourne of a month after the trip from London. We haven't found an earlier arrival to account for this family disembarking in Adelaide before the ship arrived in Melbourne, hence the curiosity of when the birth was registered. Seems a little peculiar that the family were possibly in Melbourne for a month before arriving in Adelaide, although given the only passenger list available this is not certain either. The date of registration will clarify this.   

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk