Author Topic: HARKIN, Hugh and family research  (Read 16760 times)

Offline shoutlouder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HARKIN, Hugh and family research
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 05:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all!

I'm new to genealogy and was wondering if I could find some help with some of my roadblocks on here. I'm currently researching my great grandmother's family from Donegal. Here's what I know so far:

My GGrandmother was Catherine Harkin (b. 1906 in Croagh). From the 1911 Census, I learned that she lived in the townland of Croagh with her father Hugh Harkin, mother Rose, and siblings Mary Anne, Maggie, Rose and John. (Also Hugh's brother Patrick lived next door) I know Mary Anne and John moved to the US before my GGrandmother did and I don't need further information on her or them.

What I would like to find is any information on their parents Hugh & Rose. I was able to estimate their birth dates from the census form but not much else (1872 for Hugh and 1871 for Rose). I can't seem to track down Rose's maiden name or Hugh's parents' names. Also I am interested in finding more about her siblings Maggie and Rose who I am pretty sure stayed in Ireland as well.

If anybody has information on this family, or can point me in a new direction so I can continue researching I'd really appreciate it!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HARKIN, Hugh and family research
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 07:43 BST (UK) »
IGI lists at least 12 possibilities for Hugh Harkin born Donegal 1866-1877 (and there could be other births that aren't listed) so you'll probably need to get marriage information to find his father's name and occupation and Hugh's residence and search from there.
Here's Hugh and Rose in 1911 census-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Corkermore/Croagh/478940/
It gives them as married 10 years so 1900/1901.

Their daughter Maggie is 3 in the census and Rose is 8 months old. Index to civil registrations is online and goes up to 1958 but it will probably be difficult to fid any marriages or deaths in the index with such common surname/first names.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
welcome to rootschat. found these two births,may be a help.

rose anne harkin 21-11-1870. donegal.
john harkin 4-9-1865 moville, donegal.

parents.hugh harkin & rose anne boner.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hugh Harkin & Rose ? in 1911 census have only been married 10 years so can't be the Hugh and Rose Harkin having children in 1865 & 1870.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
sorry,not with it today.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 April 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
Griffiths valuation 1857 Harkin at Croagh is spelt with a (a) HARKAN
a James and John Harkan, Harkin at Dunkineely.
Croagh is in the parish of Killaghtee, County Donegal.  Most of the Townlands were flax seed growers for the linen industry.

Offline shoutlouder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 April 10 03:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for all of your helpful replies! I'm going to keep searching! I actually didn't even think of the name potentially being spelled as HarkAN in the Griffiths valuation. And the HarkIN listed in Dunkineely is very close by so it's a good lead. I really wish everyone didn't have such common names...would make searching quite a bit easier :)

Offline polban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 September 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there/
Im also new to genealogy and i was amazed when i got to this site, the Catherine Harkin u mention is my mothers aunt, she is a sister of hugh james which was my mum father. he died in April1970.
Catherine mother name was Rose ann Meehan,  dont hav any more on catherine. Maggie stayed in croagh and had a son James (Sonny as he was known as).
Rosie went to northern ireland to work, not sure after that, but would love more information aswell. ;)

I'm new to genealogy and was wondering if I could find some help with some of my roadblocks on here. I'm currently researching my great grandmother's family from Donegal. Here's what I know so far:

My GGrandmother was Catherine Harkin (b. 1906 in Croagh). From the 1911 Census, I learned that she lived in the townland of Croagh with her father Hugh Harkin, mother Rose, and siblings Mary Anne, Maggie, Rose and John. (Also Hugh's brother Patrick lived next door) I know Mary Anne and John moved to the US before my GGrandmother did and I don't need further information on her or them.

What I would like to find is any information on their parents Hugh & Rose. I was able to estimate their birth dates from the census form but not much else (1872 for Hugh and 1871 for Rose). I can't seem to track down Rose's maiden name or Hugh's parents' names. Also I am interested in finding more about her siblings Maggie and Rose who I am pretty sure stayed in Ireland as well.

If anybody has information on this family, or can point me in a new direction so I can continue researching I'd really appreciate it!

Offline shoutlouder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 September 10 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your exciting response! I sent you a private message :)