Author Topic: Patrick Joseph Lennon, son of John, b. 1871-3, County Longford  (Read 10918 times)

Offline cdgraphix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Information belongs to no single entity.
    • View Profile
Patrick Joseph Lennon, son of John, b. 1871-3, County Longford
« on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:03 BST (UK) »
We are seeking my gGrandfather, Patrick Joseph Lennon... He died young, and left little lore and less facts, but all of our family has his name. Understandably, we would like to find some more...

FACTS:
b. March 17, 1872 or 73 (day from RI state census, USA; year varies dep. on source)
We are working on the assumption March of 71-74 (most likely 72 or 73)
born County Longford, Ireland (per church marriage record)

Father John, Mother Mary A. (from city marriage record, church marriage; occupation at marriage-bootmaker)

Arrived USA approx 1893 (1900 census; occup. rubber worker)
Married Feb 1899, Mary A. Rodgers from Annagh, County Longford (they met in USA)
Died October 1908 in Woonsocket, RI, USA

Named his children (in this order): Mary Helen (1899-F), Rose Veronica (1901-F), Elizabeth(1903-F), Francis Ambrose (1904-M), Gerald Joseph (1906-M)
(we think it a bit odd that in that time, an Irish man would not name either of his two sons after himself or his father - or her father or brothers for that matter)

LORE:
Family story is that Patrick, as a very young man, got soused in a pub, compliments of a British Army recruiter, and woke up with the Queen's shilling in the bottom of his pint. While on the ship out of  (Irish? British?) port, he jumped to the next ship, heading for America. There is some mention of New Orleans (?), but he ended up in the northeast by the late 1890s (married in 1899, 1900 census claimed 1893 arrival).

ODD:
We have found a pension record from the Spanish-American war, in my gGrandmother's name, that specifies Patrick J. Lennon (alias) Francis J. Lennon

My grandfather, Francis, was called Ambrose by his family, presumably because Patrick was actually called Francis.

All of this has made for quite a story and a lot of frustration. Perhaps he really was Francis, and used a brother's name if he really deserted?

Any input from anyone who is familiar with British recruitment of the Irish (esp. poor folk) in that time, Lennons in / around Longford (possibly with an Ambrose Lennon - see this picture in another forum - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,452934.0.html)? All is Appreciated!

Many Thanks,
 C.D. Lennon

Lennon, Rodgers, Kellett (Longford, IRE - RI, USA); McNally, McQueeney, Devine, Dolan (Co. Leitrim, IRE - RI, USA); McQuillian (Co. Monaghan, IRE - RI, USA); Reilly, Kellett (Co. Cavan, IRE)

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick J. Lennon, son of John, b. 1871-3, County Longford
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
Civil registration began in Ireland in 1864 so you may be able to find him on the index on the LDS pilot www.familysearch.org however they seem to be working on the site at present and it's throwing up random results. See www.groireland.ie on how to order certs.
The records for most of Longford RC churches & some non-catholic ones are on www.irish-roots.ie. Records cost €5 to view. A quick look only throws up one record in the years 1867 - 1877 whose father is John
Patrick Mary Joseph James Lennon baptised 1871 Longford Town RC church.
The same record appears on the IGI with birth date 8 Oct 1871 and mother's name Mary Norton
also another son John Thomas Lennon born14 Jul 1873

Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline cdgraphix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Joseph Lennon, son of John, b. 1871-3, County Longford
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info! Great point about the Index records, I have noticed they have been spotty of late.

I should prob. explain that I have been down those routes extensively, to the point where I know Patrick James Joseph listed above is in the RIC in the 1911 census in county Kerry  ;D;

We are currently working on narrowing possibilities by collecting index data from families via IGI (Irish Civil Registration records), LDS Films, and IFHF available church baptism indexes, then eliminating possibilities based on 1901 and 1911 census results of who is still in IRE. We are hoping for a connection to another relative or similar, as usual avenues of investigation have been exhausted (local marriage & death records, children's birth, etc.). He was very poor here in US, to the point where the church had to bury him, so I assume it was not much different in IRE.

Hoping for a person / fact / name (Ambrose? Francis?) connection at this point, another family lore or matching empty puzzle piece...

Thanks again~!
Lennon, Rodgers, Kellett (Longford, IRE - RI, USA); McNally, McQueeney, Devine, Dolan (Co. Leitrim, IRE - RI, USA); McQuillian (Co. Monaghan, IRE - RI, USA); Reilly, Kellett (Co. Cavan, IRE)

Offline Nkibler

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Feel you are the missing link to our family tree. I am the Gdaughter of Thomas LAnnon.
History Shows Lenon.Lannon and Lennin in records
Family of John Lennon and Mary Jane Morton. They had 5 children 1)Katherine b.6.21.1858  2) Patrick Joseph  B.10/8/71 3)John Thomas  7.14.73 4 )Anne b. 7/15/75 5)Georgie Peter b.8.18.77 They were all born in Lomgford except Katherine born Easley.Co.Sligo.
John was married three times and all children were by first wife, Mary Jane Morton. Second wife was Winifred McGovern.
Third was Margaret Treanor, married 2/20/1908 in Aughrim.
LORE
None of the children got along with Winifred and they all left. Kate and Ann went to NYNY.
John LAnnon ended up in Buffalo,NY. He supposedly  lived with Michael Lannon (thought to be an uncle) He came over with a Mickey Moran, cousin? who we are also trying to locate.
John married Louisa Remmes and they had 7 children. They resided with daughter.Beatrice Pistner (my parents_ until their death.
Back to Patrick (Uncle Joe) who seems to be the missing link.
Have more info and hope we can connect.

Offline cdgraphix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 11 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply!
Since I posted this, we have located Patrick Joseph, he was born in 1872 in Brocklagh, Co. Longford, son of John Lennon (son of Francis Lennon) and Mary Reynolds. He did have siblings, Michael, Mary, and Francis Joseph; Mary died during childbirth in 1876, and John remarried Bridget Ford and had 2 girls, Bridget and Elizabeth. They ended up coming over to the US to see our Patrick in 1905.

So although our Lennons are prob related at some point (there are a ton from that time in Longford), I'm afraid this is probably not your long-lost Uncle Joe...

Offline Nkibler

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 November 11 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid you are correct and we are searching two different Patricks.
This may be of interest to you. Several Irish joined the Union Army in the Civil War to escape the Irish econony. There are several LAnnons listed. One being a Patrick born abt 1830 and 34 at the time. This list is on Ancestry.Between the name spelling and  inaccurate dates it gets complicated.
Good luck in your continuing search.