Author Topic: Edgar and Edith Watson - Scotland to Jamaica  (Read 8255 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar and Edith Watson - Scotland to Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 April 10 21:10 BST (UK) »
YOU ARE A STAR!

Thank you very very much.   Will need to digest all this info and see where we go from here.  3rd daughter of Edgar and Emma Edith was .................... Aimee Diane. ;D

I have credits for the 1911 and will explore.

Kit and daughter
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline anm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 May 10 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Kit

Go to www.moray.org/LocalHeritage/ and you will find info on the Watsons and the Edgars.
Daughters Helen Marguerite and Edith Mary still appear to be in Jamaica - now  Marguerite Gauron and Dr Marilyn Duff, do not know if the other daughter is still alive.  Hope this helps.

Ann

Offline anm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 May 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Kit

Forgot to say when you go to Local Heritage site click on to libindx then people.

Ann

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 May 10 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi anm, we googled and have already taken the plunge and e-mailed Dr Duff.  She has not only responded but copied in another family member.  Its early days yet, but we hope that it might lead to future dialogue.  As I say, early days.

Had recently been directed to libindex and have found it to be extremely helpful and would recommend to all who have an interest in the Moray area.

Thanks very much for your help and will keep you updated.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline kvalens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 November 19 19:18 GMT (UK) »
"Mrs. Edgar Watson" contributed a recipe for Raspberry Princess Pudding to the cookbook Sweets Snacks Savouries, published in Jamaica in 1939.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 November 19 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello kvalens, thanks for your interest and post.  Can I ask how you came across the recipe?  We are in touch with the daughters, at least one still in Jamaica.  There is a back story, which I won't go into here, but has been posted on this site.

Look forward to hearing from you.  Kit (Paula)

Offline kvalens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 November 19 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm a scholar researching Caribbean Cookbooks 1850-1950 and have been working on understanding the communities of women who contributed to them. I came across your thread on rootschat as I searched for information on "Mrs. Edgar Watson".  The only copy of Sweets Snacks Savouries  Unusual Cocktails that I've been able to find is at Schlesinger Library in Cambridge, MA, USA.  It was edited by Edith E. Brown and Margaret G Worlledge and was a fundraiser for the Jamaica Branch of the British Sailors Society.  All of the women who contributed to the cookbook seem to have been friends and belonged, at least briefly, to a similar circle in the Jamaican elite (the forward to the cookbook was written by Lady Richards, wife of the then-governor of Jamaica). If you happen to come across any further information about that social group, I'd love to hear about it.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 November 19 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello, unfortunately, I don't have any information to offer regarding Edgar and Edith Watson and their social circle.  However, I could get in touch with the sisters and see if any of them would be interested in corresponding with you?  If you make one more post, we can use the personal message system to keep in touch.

regards, Kit

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 November 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I've received a response from one of the daughters and she would be very happy to correspond with you.  If you would like to make a 3rd post, that should allow us to PM and you could then let me have a contact email address to pass on, if you would like to.

Kit