Author Topic: Kelly  (Read 6282 times)

Offline ginger_cat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kelly
« on: Saturday 01 May 10 03:27 BST (UK) »
I have just started researching my dad's family and was hoping someone may have some information. 

My grandad was John Kelly b 1925 in Tullamore.  His father was Peter Kelly who worked as a postman b 1887.  I have him on the 1911 census living with his mother Rose/Rosanna Flannagan her 2nd husband John and their daughter Mary.

I know from his military records he married his first wife late 1911 - 1912 and had a daughter Mary Margaret Kelly born 1913.  His he stated as widowed when he joined the army in 1914, where he was part of the Dublin fusiliers posted to grimsby  ;).

As yet I have no idea who Peter Kellys father is and haven't been able to track down his marriage certificates for either his first wife or my great granny so if anyone has any information it would be very much appreciated.

I know my grandad had at least 2 brothers, 1 called Michael who moved to England and another who my dad believes stayed in Tullamore.

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 May 10 19:43 BST (UK) »
Civil registration started in 1864 so you should be able to trace them on the civil index on the pilot search on www.familysearch.org & order certs from www.groireland.ie
The church records for Offaly are not available online yet. The pilot search has been having problems in the last week so you might have to wait until they finish uploading data before you get results.
Start by looking for Mary Margaret' birth sinceyou know that date and work back.
The 1901 census is due online in June
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline ginger_cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 May 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice.  I have already tried searching on the LDS site but nothing is coming up.  I found 2 marriages for Peter Kelly's in 1912-1913 but can not tell which one is correct.

I have both of my grandparents birth certificates and their marriage certificate, my concern with ordering any more was that whilst I know Peter's year of birth and his mothers first name I know nothing of his father nor his mothers maiden name all of which are stated as a mandatory requirement on the form so I hoped to find some more information before taking the Plunge as there is a charge for searches even when nothing is discovered.

Big thank you for the 1901 census date, I kept checking the site as they originally gave an earlier date.